“Lovely resort, great breakfast”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Warwick in a garden view room for 7 nights. The variety and quantity at the buffet breakfast was fantastic - but I expected a lot more seasonal fruit would be available. The staff were more than happy to help out and would get my daughters more jelly or ice cream when they asked for it. The meals at night were a little expensive, as were the drinks - approx. $6.00 AUD for a frozen coke for the kids is too much! but the fact that kids eat free made up for that, the kids meals were excellent!!. Happy hour each night was great but the staff probably need to be a little more organised or the crowd during this time. Lunch and dinner at the bar was a change from the buffet and were excellent! BEWARE: the door to the toilet in the room is only a sliding timber slat door! and the shower does not close off completely from the bedroom. While this was not a real problem for us it could be for a group of friends or extended family staying together. The room was clean and the bed was good. One day we required more towels and they were delivered to us quickly and with a smile. While we only used the kids club once the girls loved it and the staff remembered my daughters names - which was really nice. My husband, his brother and father played a round of golf by all reports it was a great course they enjoyed them selves but said they would hire a buggy next time. Would definitely recommend this resort to families who like to relax by the pool and those who might like to use the resort as a base for day trips.

Quick tip:Just outside the resort is a little shop that sells bottled water for approx. $1.50 don't pay the $5.00 for the water in the rooms!

Room Tip: For a family of four the garden suite was great!
3  Thank Tamjo2012
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Tamjo2012,

Thank you, a nice review and some constructive points here for other readers reading the review and for myself. Interesting you bring up the shower not closing off completely from the bedroom, I hadn't really thought of or heard of that so appreciate the comment. I will have to ponder on that one for a while as don't think that will be an overnight fix however let me do some detective work and see if I cant come up with an alternative or something for a permanent fix.
Glad the kids had a great time in kids club albeit for a day but at least they got to experience it. Golf is a bit of fun and I tend to agree on the taking buggy aspect of it........then again it can be walked which is good so you get the option,
Again many thanks and appreciation....

There are newer reviews for Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just had a great week at Le Lagon. We had a beautiful room (Lagoon Bungalow) right on the edge of Erakor Lagoon. A great spot to watch the world go by and have pre dinner drinks. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The thing I love about Vanuatu is that you start relaxing as soon as you get off the plane. Its great for time poor people in need of a break and Le Lagon added to the experience.

1  Thank Terry T

Dear Terry T,

Couldn't agree with you more about time poor people. When you take a holiday and don't have much time it is imperative that you chose wisely. I like your feedback here and identify some key words out it "Beautiful" - "Watch the world go by" - "Friendly" - "Relaxing" - "Vanuatu".
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was our first visit to Vanuatu and despite travelling extensively over many years, this was our first overseas holiday with all 5 kids, aged 5 to 14. We only booked for one week in case we or the kids didn't like it. Additionally my sister and her son decided join us so we had 9 in total.

Within 24hrs of arriving at Le Lagon, we realised we should have booked for longer. Next year.
The resort facilities along with its' friendly staff were simply fantastic.
We had a wonderful relaxing stay that delivered to all our expectations and more.
It's awesome pools (according to my kids), sports on the white sand lagoon waterfront, the free water activities hut and not to mention the pool bar accessible from 2 pools, provided a constant variety of things for us to do and places to unwind.

The location is also great. It's only a 5 minute walk to the frequent boat that takes you over to nearby Erakor Island. A lovely relaxing place to visit during the day or at night if you feel like somewhere else to have a drink or a meal by the beach. It's such easy access that it simply feels like an extension to the resort.

It would be unfair to single out any particular staff for praise as they were all so friendly and helpful at all times. Everyone from the reception, lobby bar, pool bar, kids club, activity hut and restaurants was pleasant and helpful.

The food at the Wild Ginger Japanese restaurant was excellent.

Vanuatu and in particular Le lagon were exactly what we were wanted for our family holiday.
For me, it's a lay down misere for an annual resort style family holiday.

With a minimum 7 of us and maybe some extended family as well, planning is essential.
Therefore not only are we about to start planning our next trip but we have already recommended the resort to several of our friends who we know go on reasonably regular family holidays. I've left a couple of minor comments on the resort feedback forms related to including some healthy options on the kids menu such as salad or vegetable sides instead of just chips, as well as some extra banana lounges for the busy period but overall our family thought the resort was fabulous.

Before we arrived, I didn't think our kids would like going to a kids club but as it turns out, what do I know? They loved it, and it was free except for a few specific activities like T-shirt painting. In fact our kids didn't want to leave and either did we which is precisely how everyone should feel at the end of any great holiday.

I understand from a casual poolside chat with Jeremy the approachable General Manager and some of the other resort staff that the resort is going through a series of changes and improvements so I can't wait to return next year and see what they've added.

Room Tip: I think we had reasonably standard rooms (interconnecting) and we really like the huge shower area...
1  Thank 72DeanM

Dear 72DeanM,

Thank you very much Dean for your thought out comments and it was great to meet you when you were here, albeit we just caught up on your last day. I know you were very keen to ensure that your holiday was going to go well and it pleases me no end that we delivered! Indeed it certainly is a big family you have so can always understand that all needs to go well.....The staff in the kids club do a great job which in turn allows Mum and Dad some down time knowing they are happy and being looked after, I also have some further entertainment plans for the kids club and activities so hopefully it can become "Mum and Dad Who?" Chef is looking at the healthy option selections for the kids as agree the young ones also need variety. I sincerely appreciate your recommendations to friends, constructive feedback and look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have recently just returned back from yet again another of many of my visits to this resort. We call this our second home. We have built wonderful relationships with alot of great staff members. We have also built a family with people from the village beside the resort. What saddens me thoe is the fact that we were here in February and the staff were so much happier back then. I have noticed that there has been a change to higher up staff members and since this change has happened staff dont seem to be very happy. They are however still very very good with the guests but because i know the staff i can see the difference in them. I will be back again soon as everytime we leave its harder to stay away from

Room Tip: if you have kids we always choose to stay in a lagoon bottom room so then you can walk out your room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cathygreg3
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Cathygreg3,

It was a pleasure to meet you when you were here and thank you for your continued patronage of the Hotel, much appreciated. It is nice you have become friendly with the locals as they all know and love you. It is also, as you know, an honor and a privilege to be invited into Villages in the Pacific.
With the staff related comments, for others reading this review, may I kindly refer you to the posted comment below by Jennifer b. This might explain what you have experienced although if it isn't I will catch up with you on your next stay if convenient to dig deeper if you feel it may be related to something else as it certainly has caught me off guard a bit. Much of my initial three months has been giving much to my staff whom I respect deeply and treat with utmost respect whilst appreciating their culture. This I have been doing for the last 6 years whilst living in the Pacific Islands. Nonetheless thank you so much for your rating and I look forward to seeing you next time.........keep up the swimming and well done on your swim when you were here.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Have just returned from 9 days at Le Lagon Resort and we were more than pleased with our stay. We also did not get our welcome drink but with the large number of people booking in at the same time it was an understandable oversight. We were given a beautiful room overlooking the lagoon, but due to an old knee injury I found the walk to and from reception/ restaurant a little difficult. Spoke to Executive assistant manager Mr Rohit Kant and was allocated another room closer to pool, reception and dining area. Each day he would see us and inquire if we were comfortable in our new room, [which was an upgrade], and if I was managing with the dreaded knee. We too were at the resort when staff took a half day industrial action and were informed by flyer sent to rooms from management about a meeting with the manager for guests which would explain what was happening. We attended and were told of the reason for the strike and how management were endevouring to resolve staffs issues. Resort staff resumed work by lunch time with meals served and rooms cleaned etc. During our stay we were always greeting by resort staff with happy smiling faces and with the utmost courtesy. Inneth, breakfast manager, was fantastic. A real asset to the resort, as was Rohit, I cannot praise these two highly enough. Had the pleasure of seeing the Tuesday night fire show twice and it is a must see. Wow, what a show, free and on the beach and if your lucky you may see the manager Jeremy attempt to dance. What more can I say than we enjoyed our stay so much we will be back.

1  Thank jennifer b

Dear Jennifer b,

A very nice posting indeed and much appreciated and I hope that "dreaded knee" is still being managed:). Rohit is definitely a true hotelier who time after time looks after the well being our Guests. I am glad you were able to be at the meeting whereby I had the opportunity to explain the predicament of the industrial action dispute to our Guests. Inneth is just amazing who time after time continues to be a real asset to the Hotel and please be assured that she gets all this feedback and hence recognition. On another note I think that I might have to give the dancing away, just not fit enough these days! The fire show certainly is fun though......

On that note I might just take a moment to explain to readers briefly what the Industrial dispute was about as no doubt readers have seen this pop up a little bit over the last and maybe some future reviews.

The issue came about from something that is referred to as a "Log of claims". This log of claims has been floating around the Hotel industry in Vanuatu for a number of years. Very unexpectedly and without notice a small band of union members took control of the wider audience of staff and refused to let them enter the workplace. Unions in Vanuatu are very different to that of Unions in Australia and New Zealand which I am certain those who have visited Vanuatu would appreciate that there is a large cultural difference. The question would become "Why at Le Legon did they do this and nowhere else?" the answer to this is that we are one of the larger Hotels that operates in Vanuatu and therefore the point they were trying to make gets more attention.
I can assure you that all our Staff in the Resort are paid in accordance with the Labor laws of Vanuatu and indeed the add ons we provide far surpass that of what is required by the Labor laws of Vanuatu.
The review above "one of many visits to le lagon", whilst a 5* review, mentions about staff being disengaged whilst making a point that there a new "higher up staff" was a Guest who was also here during the dispute and also very kindly helped us out while the staff were not present. The strike action caused some unsettledness among the staff for reasons I wont go into as it relates to much to the culture of the Ni Van people.

I hope this gives a basic understanding of what you might have been reading and wondering what it is all about? Be rest assured that at no point was the safety of guests under threat and that the matter has been settled.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We returned a few days ago from our first trip to Vanuatu. We stayed seven nights at Le Lagon, which is a beautiful resort with a excellent facilities. However, our experience was very different to those recounted in many of the reviews. On arrival, while some travellers on the same airport transfer received welcome drinks, we did not. Around the resort, we found many staff members disengaged (unable to tell us where the nearest toilet was, for example) and, while courteous enough, certainly not particularly welcoming. Service quality (cleaning, availability of pool towels, housekeeping) was quite inconsistent. In my opinion, the cost of dining at the buffet each night was too high given the quality of the food. Staff actually took industrial action while we were there and did not attend work one morning. While the management team were extremely helpful that morning making sure we could at least get toast and cereal for breakfast, we received no explanation as to what had happened. Our 4 year old daughter was excited to try the kids club, but unfortunately did not have a good experience there and refused to return after the first morning. I appreciate that the current management team has only been in place a short time and is working hard to raise standards but our experience was disappointing given the tariffs we paid to stay there. I would visit Vanuatu again, but would choose a different place to stay next time.

5  Thank Siobhan2749

Dear Siobhan2749,

A somewhat disappointing review which seems not to correlate to recently posted reviews. Apologies for the missed welcome drink. I actually conducted a meeting for all guests in the ballroom by way of notification where it was all explained, perhaps you were out? Sometimes when travelling abroad you may find that things are not quite the same as they are at home and the comforts you are used to will generally not be the same. It is however my intention to make for our guests as close as possible those comforts and normalities whilst being able to enjoy an oversees cultural experience. Most unusual the kids club comment as that receives fantastic reviews and the kids club staff very frequently are praised for their natural abilities in dealing with children. Nonetheless it is good that you would return to Vanuatu as the destination is one of natural beauty and hopefully you will chose a Hotel more suited to your budget and needs next time.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We got the garden superior room 626 for 4 nights. One bedroom with large ensuite. Lots of draws and closet space. Balcony with lovely view. Safe provided. Fair tv channels however if taking children might b a good idea to take dvds. We were greeted with a warm welcome of singing, cold juice and welcoming smiles and a complimentary bottle of wine. We didn't plan on doing any activities as we just wanted to relax and enjoy the food with no children responsibilities. However there a lots to do either at the resort or off. Breakfast was a huge full buffet, last us right to dinner time. Restaurants are very elegant and cost you roughly 3500vatu which is about 45nzd each. Pools are divine and the pool bar is a bonus. Happy hour is great too from 5pm to 6pm on the dot. Markets are your usual bargains. You can get taxi for 700vatu one way or 150vatu for the bus oneway. Tipping isn't practised but you can if you want. We just left our tip in an envelope and handed it in at the end of our stay. We took 58000vatu for the two of us and managed to come home with a little bit after duty free. The people are very friendly. We loved our first experience in Vanuatu, next time we will take our children.

Dear Melissa R,

Great review and thank you. Yes, not a bad idea to bring some DVD's for the children as each room is equipped with a DVD player. We try to cater for a large number of guests with TV viewing so there are some children's channels, FOX sports channels, Australian Channels and discovery type channels. I agree there is much to do at the Resort given its 75 hectares which, if you want to, can walk the perimeter after that big breakfast (I prefer to go to the pool and sleep though:). You are spot on with the buses and taxis and their pricing.
Further, I am thrilled that as a first timer to Vanuatu you were able to see and experience the wonders of this country and you enjoyed your experience at the same time from Warwick Le Lagon. I think you should come back!