“Family holiday at Le Lagon”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Ocean Grove, Australia
“Family holiday at Le Lagon”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Hi, we are just back from Vanuatu after a 10 day stay at Le Lagon. I wanted to write a review as I found them very interesting before we went away.
We are 2 adults and 2 children 6 and 4. We stayed in a garden superior room which was perfect (these are the 600 series). Lagoon view rooms are the same but closer to the water but also further away from pools retaurants and kids club so garden rooms better with a family in my opinion.
We had the all inclusive deal and it is great if you are drinkers or if you like to just have whatever you want while your away and not have to think about the money. We did eat at wild ginger tepanyaki 2 nights (loved it!) and 1 night at Erakor island. We put the kids in kids club and took the ferry over to the island it was amazing. If we went again and the kids were older we would probably not take the all inclusive as the buffet gets boring and we would go into town more. Although that can be tiring with children if you have had a full day.
Kids club is OK if your not expecting too much. We went out of school holidays so there was not many kids in the resort which was fantastic. The kids club is probably a bit more organised if there were more kids. You have to pay $3 an hour after 5 to have children in there under 5.
The gardens and pools and rooms etc are pristine. The rooms are very small and not really any way to put kids to sleep then spend some time in your room reading or watching tv etc as they are in the same room with you.
The staff are lovely, very lethargic (probably because they get paid a pittance) but we had absolutely no trouble with service or things being charged to our room falsely. Our daughters shoes went missing on the 1st day but she did leave them in the gardens. I could imagine if the resort was busy the service could get a little frustrating especially if you have somewhere to go.
We caught buses most days out front of the resort (just waited for one to come) and went and visited different parts of the island.
We did Lelepa island, cascades, hideaway island, eton beach, turtle bay, erakor island.
We loved the resort and had a wonderful family holiday. Thank you trip adviser regulars for helping us organise our wonderful holiday.

6 Thank katwallington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I had previously written a review for Le Lagon, but after issues around stolen items I felt I should warn others also (since then I also see that another customer has also posted regarding theft- this is a very worrying trend at Le Lagon as the follow up seems to be non existant)

Anything of value - personal or otherwise you need to lock away in your room safe - one day while we were out in town, I had a full bottle of expensive perfume taken from my toilet bag which I had left in the bathroom in our room.

This made us very uncomfortable to leave our room when it was being serviced each day or when they did the mini bar checks, which is a pity as they seemed very nice but someone obviously decided they wanted it. There seem to be quite a few people who would have access to the rooms as well.

Another guest we met also said a shirt was taken from their locked room during the day as well, so this is worrying if the resort arent following it up more vigilantly.

After reporting it and filling in the forms, we waited to hear what the process was to investigate this. We hadnt heard by the time we returned home, so a month later chased it up by email, only to find that "sorry" no-one had seen it, so feel people should be aware to be extra cautious concerning valuables at the resort. Otherwise as stated in my review, a good place to get away to.

Review-
We stayed 10 nights at Le Lagon. Had researched the resorts in Port Vila and this one had come up at the top of Iririki and Le Meridian. It is a large resort that has some great facilites.

We had a garden bungalow and after emailing the resort we told that numbers 301-308 were the newly renovated ones. Thought this was great news, but we found 305 surprisingly tired inside.

Turned out the renovations are an extra 2 metres or so added on at the back, to make them longer, then I think the old fittings are put back in. To be fair, they are nice and clean and more than adequate, but soon found out one negative, we had 4 bungalows all around us in the midst of their renovations. So this meant saws, jack hammers and the like going all day.

After the first night we spoke to the very professional Ginette in reception who said the work would be on-going, so we negotiated a shift to another bungalow. This one 326 was on the lagoon front rather than garden, but was undecorated. A smaller one but with one king size bed rather than the 2 doubles in the first- seemed to take up less room, so was great.
These lagoon front bures are much nicer as you face a lovely lagoon and have a little better breeze. Other people were also up grading when they didnt like the hotel style rooms.

I think though, that the resort should state to the travel agents & customers prior that they are in the midst of on going renovations so people are aware before they arrive as to whether this is ok for them or not as the noise was right through the resort in most areas every day.

Pluses of the resort -
large and spread out, which is good for the number of people it can cater for- Seems popular for weddings

- Ease of which to use public transport to and from sightseeing- Able to use the Erakor resort free ferry over to their small island across the lagoon. (See my review on Erakor also)

- Not sure if it is all year round, but it is pay for 1 night get the next night free.- American style breakfast included in the rate even if you dont take the all inclusive deal

-Staff are very polite, although some younger ones seem quite timid about making decisions. Ginette the front of house manager is very professional and can be asked for at the front desk

Cons of the resort -
None of the 3 swimming pools were cool or refreshing, they are like getting in to a warm- hot bath. Everyone commented that they were uncomfortably hot and you couldnt cool down. (wonder if this is just at the hottest time of the year, but have been in other hotter climates where the pools are always refreshing, however shallow pools and a lot of concrete around them may increase their temp)

-Food and drinks are very expensive here. A local tusker beer is 550 vatu ($8 NZ) and other beers are 750 vatu ($10). Cocktails are 1200 vatu ($16.50). A bowl of hot chips at the resort is about $9 NZ. Meals in the restaurant range from $25-65 pp depending on a-la-carte or buffet.

We didnt take the all inclusive as at $100pp per day, was pretty expensive if you arent a big drinker. The included brekkys fill you up and you can take or buy chips,crackers etc at the bon marche supermarket in town for in between. We saved NZD $800 by not using the deal.

Things to know that help -

-Take smaller vatu currency if you can. Not higher than 5000 vatu notes unless you plan to buy expensive items. Lots of things are paid for more with 100 vatu notes.
Aussie dollars are used in most places but probably get a better deal if you are using vatus, exchange rate wise or can get vatus from the local atm machines which are everywhere.

There is no bartering in Vanuatu (although make sure the bus and taxi drivers have agreed on the prices as above prior to getting in)

- Most people here seem to use the bus style service which is very easy and convenient for getting into town and they also go right out to cascade waterfalls and hideaways island.The buses and taxi's look the same- are all vans or cars in various states of repair and dis-repair!
The way you tell them apart is by the number plate. The buses have a "B" on the plate and the taxi's have a "T". You can wave them down anywhere and the cost (make sure you state it before getting in as one driver was going to try and rip us off) is 100 vatu ($1.40) within town limits and 200 vatu pp ($2.80) outside of that each way. The taxis from the resort to town are 700 vatu each way in total ($10), while the bus is 100 vatu pp. So much chepaer to use the bus unless you have a large group.

-Many of the drivers will offer to come and pick you up again or you can arrange tours etc privately with them. This is a much cheaper way to go than the resort tours which seem very over priced.

-When you go to the cascade falls make sure you wear either reef shoes or a pair of running shoes with open parts on them as the rocks are pretty slippery for bare feet and you cant keep jandals on in the water as you walk up the falls.

-Definitely take insect repellant there as we were bombarded with large mosquitoes that landed all over your legs when you stood still out of the water. The staff at the gate told us but didnt sell any repellant and I have seen no warnings in T/A. May be the hotter times of year you have this problem.

-You have to have vatus to gain admission to the falls, some people who had credit cards or aussie dollars were turned away.

-Take a towel from home as the pool towels can only be kept for the day and the resort states that they will charge you $20+ p/day automatically if you dont return them each time.

-Take your own snorkelling gear if you have them as they only lend them out for 3 hours at a time - If the water sports are important to you in your choice of resort, email them prior to ascertain what is available as my husband was very disappointed to find that none of the windsurfers had masts (as they had disappeared).

- I copied and pasted bits and pieces from other TA reviews and took this with us, which was great when working out where to go for meals, prices for things here etc. Was really helpful.

- It is very helpful to make a small conversion chart to put in your wallet for vatu to your local currencies. I used xe.com to get an idea of this, and really helps when trying to work out prices as vatu is such a large currency.

• Liked — Vanuatu people were So friendly everywhere
  • Disliked — having our personal belongings stolen from our locked room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank deliverygirlnz
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This was my third short stay at Le Lagon, as I tend to stay in more remote or budget accommodation mixed with a little more luxurious accommodation thrown in for different experiences.

This time I chose LeLagon with two purposes in mind. The first was to give my teenage son a chance to meet some young people and participate in some activities. He did meet a wonderful group of teenagers and had the time of his life. It was wonderful to see the young people enjoying each other's company without the need for technology. Unfortunately organised activities for teenagers are very sparse and I don't think he was interested anyway, but they certainly made their own fun in other ways.

The second reason for this choice was to introduce Vanuatu to a friend in what I hoped would be a relaxing and comfortable environment. As I had stayed at LeLagon briefly twice before and had been given lovely rooms and treated well I thought this the best choice. From the moment we arrived the problems began. I expect that in Vanuatu and it doesn't bother me. However, the reception staff were not helpful and not very friendly. In fact, they were downright smug and sometimes quite rude.. First, we had to wait 2 hours past check in time for our rooms to be prepared and after asking many times why we were still waiting we were told that the rooms had been ready for some time. We had booked a twin room for my son and myself and a double for my friend and we had requested that they be close to each other. The room for my son and myself had a double bed and a rollaway for my son...who is taller than me. I explained that as I had paid for 2 adults we expected a bed each. I think rollaways are fine for small children who are staying for free but not for teenagers that are almost 170cm tall! I was not very politely informed that I would have to make do with what I was given and should be happy to have a room at all (but I could check back tomorrow). Only after much debate and phone calls back and forth with my booking agents (the lovely people at Vanuatu Hotels) did a twin room magically become available. I then had to move a fair way away from my friend. We did request that he also be moved to a closer location, which of course was refused point blank (although there seemed to be empty rooms nearby for our entire stay). The favourite fob-off line of the reception staff is to check again tomorrow - just to make you go away.

As others have pointed out on this site, the rooms can be quite different to each other in terms of refurbishment quality. In some the fridges don't open or close properly. Some have a shower in the bath, which may be difficult for older people. Some have water supply problems, such as low pressure or not enough hot water. These are just a few minor issues that I have witnessed personally.

On my second last day someone stole some Vatu and Australian Dollars from my wallet in my room. It was about $300- worth, but it could have been much worse. The credit cards and passports were not touched. There was some debate over whether the sliding door had been left slightly open or whether it had been opened from the outside. We demonstrated to the security guard how easily the locked door could be opened from the outside and remain in it's tracks. It took seconds to do. Nobody cared, they blamed me for not using the safe... and questioned me repeatedly about it. I had just been using my wallet at the bar and realised that I din't need it and thought it would be safer back in the room....so I hastily returned it and just left it on the bed. Silly...I know. They made me write out four reports, but nothing was ever done. I guess they knew that we would leave in a few days and they would never have to deal with it. The worst thing was the time it took away from other things we could have been doing...and then I didn't feel safe in the room again.

My advice is to check your sliding doors and if you don't feel safe demand that you be moved.... and keep your money in the safe.

I will not return to LeLagon because I have been enough and there are so many other places to stay. However, I guess it's OK depending on what you want out of it. I go there to swim in the lagoon and use the kayaks...and I love the buffett brekkie (although it doesn't seem to change much I enjoy the indulgence). I have never found the staff friendly and their cultrual nights are just tokenistic displays for the sake of tourism. There is much more to see outside of Le Lagon.

If, like me, you just have to go there because everyone makes it sound so great....GO!!...but see other places too. You will probably enjoy it.....but stick up for yourself and the service that you expect.

• Liked — Swimming/snorkelling in the lagoon. Off the beah near the lagoon view rooms or off the jetty
  • Disliked — I disliked the reception staff even more than the thief who stole my money.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank kerryandjake
Sydney
Reviewed May 12, 2008

The stay at Le Lagon was a family trip - myself, my husband and our 3 year old son.

We found the public areas of the hotel - swimming pools, grounds and reception/restaurant buildings to be of a very high standard. In fact, they were beautiful.

The rooms (we had a Garden Superior, but saw others) were disappointing. For a property on such a large expanse of land it seems crazy to have such cramped rooms. Our room was decidedly in need of a makeover, as were others we saw. There was nothing actually wrong with the room - it was just too spartan and lacking in style for this grade of hotel.

We were on a bed and breakfast deal with a couple of dinners thrown in. The breakfasts were very good, but food in the evening and at the pool bar during the day was woeful. No imagination, poor quality ingredients. For guest who weren't on the all-inclusive deal the prices were also very steep - 1400 VT for a very mediocre chicken burger and chips. Much of the food was out of the freezer/jars etc.

Our son used the kids' club a few times. It appeared to be well-run with plenty of activities. There were trips out of the hotel, tee-shirt painting, jewellery making and sports. The people in charge appeared mature, competent and caring.

We had some issues with the hotel reception staff. The first was that on arrival we should have been issued with vouchers for dinners and beach massages. These were not available when we checked in, and it took several visits to reception to obtain them. The staff appeared to think that this was all a big, tedious problem and their attitude was not helpful. The second problem concerned our room. We noticed that there was a sound of running water from the empty room above. We reported this, but had great difficulty making ourselves understood. The problem was only fixed when we waylaid a member of staff with a key, accessed the room and fixed the problem ourselves.

Staff in restaurants and shops in Port Vila spoke very good English, so it was curious that the standard of English at the hotel reception was so poor.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but feel that it could have been better.

• Liked — Lovely grounds and pool
  • Disliked — Service level and food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Gavinandlouise
sydney
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Really enjoyed Le Lagon. the food was nice, as were the staff.
grounds were well kept and we enjoyed the tribal dancing at night
would definatly recomend.
must go to ma barkers restaurant

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
1 Thank skm52
Reviewed April 2, 2008

If you are looking for a relaxing, trouble-free family holiday you can't go past Le Lagon in Vanuatu. We stayed there in January and had a very enjoyable 7 days. Arriving at the island later than expected due to a flight delay, we were quickly offered cooling drinks to beat the tropical heat. They also calmed our nerves after travelling by taxis through traffic chaos (there are no road rules). To our surprise we were then upgraded to an ocean view room by the friendly staff. This service continued throughout our stay with 'nothing too much trouble", surprising especially as the resort was fully booked. Our room with a veranda was small and comfortable, not luxurious, but given its close proximity to the 2 fabulous restaurants, the white sandy beach and the lush golf course we were happy. Wether it was relaxing by the 3 pools, snorkelling in the clear waters or watching one of the nightly local tribal shows, we all had something to do even during the frequent tropical downpours. The kids club offered a wide variety of options for the children and put the meaning back into 'time out' for the adults. A highlight of our trip included the people we met at the resort, both staff and holidaymakers. It was almost comical when we met an Australian family who lived 'just down the road’ from us. Our children made some great friends and ‘the gang’ spent most of the time swimming and exploring all the water sports the resort had to offer. With plenty of staff to attend to the gardens and restaurants, the whole resort was safe, immaculate and presented with distinct tropical flair. We would highly recommend Le Lagon to all who wish for an overseas holiday without the expensive price tag (especially if you contact them direct).

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the room itself
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jengregg
Hunter Valley
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My family (2 adults & 3 kids) travelled to Vanuatu for a wedding in late March 08 and decided to stay at the Le Lagon due to the kids club facility and hearing that it was one of the best resorts in Vanuatu - what a mistake. The trip cost us over $6500 - that was for 3 airfares and 9 nights accommodation in interconnecting rooms (needed due to the fact there was 5 of us).

The rooms ended up costing us $500 per night and the sink fell off the wall TWICE (once nearly on the head of my 20mth old), the sink leaked all the time despite numerous requests for it to be fixed (the man did come a couple of days after the first request and just kept glueing up the sink, but then it would leak somewhere else) which made the floor slippery and used up all of our towels to keep it dry, the air conditoner didnt work properly and was finally fixed after a complaint to the travel agent - I had rung them to see if we could leave early but I had booked my ticket on frequent flyers and there were no seats available.

We were located in the 500 series rooms (Lagoon Deluxe???) which I had tried to avoid but there we no other interconnecting rooms elsewhere available.

Other problems with the resort were:

~ KIDS CLUB ~

* Lacked supervision and enthusiasm from nearly all staff (some were ok)
* Some staff are lazy and did not participate much with kids
* The schedule is rarely followed, actvities are expensive and outings (i think) are inappropriate. My kids didnt want to stay there much and I felt uncomfortable leaving them there at times - there was NO WAY I was letting the staff take my kids off the grounds after signing a waiver stating that any incidents (intentional or unintentional) are not the responsibility of the hotel!
* Children are able to sign themselves in and out without any parental involvement
* The Kids Club is old and needs refurbishment
* The Kids KC Club is expensive and not worth the $
* We finally found a decent baby sitter on the last 2 nights (Helen) who actually bothered to change a nappy and sit with our baby. We only had our kids babysit in the Kids Club as we felt uncomfortable with them in the rooms alone, with more kids around they were often looked after by the older girls attending kids club.

~ ROOMS ~ (500 SERIES)

* Telephones didnt work sometimes and are attached to open power sockets
* Old, outdated and ugly, esp. the bathrooms
* Our room had a rusty nail sticking out the the wall where the kids got out of the bath
* There were constant ants in the kids bathroom in the bath and the sink where we were washing bottles and dummies
* Movie channels are just DVD's (some pirated) playing over and over again
* Key locks dont work properly (we had a key for one of the rooms that didn't fit either door???)
* Airconditioners dont work properly
* Bad lighting in rooms and very small
* Not enough places to hang wet stuff to dry - and it takes forever to dry something
* No where to sit/eat inside
* The bathrooms had mould all around the floor

~ OTHER ~

* Walkways are uneven - hard to see at night as the walkways are not well lit and we all kept tripping over uneven concrete
* I dont beleive in 'Vanuatu time'. You expect basic service from your staff when you are staying at a resort and most staff were apathetic and didnt listen
* The kids food and buffet menus are horrible and inappropriate - there is only so much hot chips a kid can eat and the buffet had stuff kids dont eat in it. The staff at the Kids Club, however, piled their plates and often left kids to fend for themselves when getting food and drinks
* Water is expensive (we bought a couple of bottles at the start and filled them with boiled water from the rooms - until the kettle broke that is)
* Areas around the pool are VERY slippery. We all fell over at least 3 times, the kids more. My daughter also burnt her feet on a round metal cover near the shallow end of the bottom pool - what a stupid place to put it - right on the stairs!
* Not enough umbrellas and the deck chairs are crap - they dont sit upright
* Breakfast is the best buffet meal of the day - however the milk in the jugs is old and just refilled each time. It took us a couple of mornings to figure out why our tea tasted horrible, it was the milk. We ended up getting it from the cereal section in a glass. They also need urns for the tea and coffee rather than waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for the staff to bring it to you and then it is cold anyway
* There is NO LAUNDRY facility - you have to pay to have clothes laundered
* No ice machine
* The cement around our rooms was mouldy and wet with slime all the time
* Things were charged on the account that we didnt buy - check it all the time
* The buffet is crap and expensive - go to the Wild Ginger instead
* Although it says 'no tips' on all the paperwork, most staff dont think the same. On the first night the man who showed my mother and grandmother to their room wouldnt leave until they gave him a tip - and then he told them it wasnt enough and put his hand out for more! When I questioned it the next day the front desk male staff on all gave me smirks (you get used to these, the male staff always seemed to smirk at you when you asked for something) and said that tips are encouraged but not asked for.

The pool area was the best place to be and we spent most of our time there. However saying that, my son and mother both caught themselves on tiles in the pool that were sticking out. My son now has a lovely infected toe that needs to be lanced and have the toenail removed. The drinks are expensive - we took our duty free down to the pool and drank that.

We went into town once - dirty horrible place. There is no worthwhile shopping there and the markets are very expensive - the stores on the street were cheaper. Get your mixers and some food there to snack on.

Am I whinging? I dont think so. I paid a lot of money for this trip and expect some kind of service and facility, esp. for $500 a night. After a week I met with the General Manager to express my concerns who listened - but didnt really if that makes sense. After I met with him I received a bottle of champagne, a free dinner at the Wild Ginger, 2 lunch vouchers, crappy and cheap kids club shirts and they turned by beds down for the last 2 nights and put some biscuits on them. Woo Hoo.

We had a awful time and counted down the days until we could leave (it didnt help that Air Vanuatu lost my bag on the night we arrived - it came a week later but had all of my clothes, shoes, all our family's toiletries and my stuff for the wedding I was Bridesmaid in). We wont be going back to Vanuatu - ever. Save your money and stay somewhere else in Australia. The prices are the same for everything and you know that there are some standards, esp with the Kids Club. Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments or if you want some photos of the rooms.

• Liked — Going home
  • Disliked — Pick something!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family