“Not a 4 star hotel”

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“Not a 4 star hotel”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed in Jan for 12 nights, the resort was in a nice location & the 3 pools when clean where fun for the kids, breakfast was ok.
Buffet was an absolute joke & when your paying $35 you expect a bit better quality, tried it for 2 nights & then never ate at the resort apart for breakfast.
My experience at this hotel from the rooms which are small to the service which was hit or miss, to cats hanging around in the dinning room, was not I would rate 4 star.
We actually would catch the boat to Erakor island which is 2 minutes away and spend the day & night there.They have an Australian chef named Tyrone who makes some really great dishes

Room Tip: If your looking at staying between Warwick or holiday inn - stay at the holiday inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank George T
Dave W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear George T,

Thank you for your comments.

I have recently commenced at the Resort and take your comments seriously. There are many areas which are being reviewed and addressed and through your feedback I am able to progress which I thank you for.

Jeremy Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Fernvale, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I travelled here on December 31st 2007. I was welcomed with a lovely fresh fruit drink and instantly felt comfortable! I was getting married there on the 7th January and from the moment I arrived I was in heaven.
The room was a great size, I had daily house keeping, the pool was unbelievble. I loved the swim up pool bar and so did my kids. I stayed on an all inclusive package which made life so easy.
My children loved the kids club and the in room baby sitting facilities we phenominal. We had a babysitter stay with our children from 9pm to well after midnight on new years eve and it cost us $2AUD per child. WOW I was so impressed!
The food at the restaurant was always a themed menu but after staying two weeks it became a bit much.
the facilities were always clean and the gardens and grounds were well maintained.
We spent the second week of our stay in an island suite! unreal!!
i can not reccommend this place enough - definely stay here!! the staff are friendly the service is of high standard. they even made my daughter a birthday cake as we were there for her 3rd birthday!!
a great family resort.

Room Tip: Garden Rooms are perfect - well priced and spacious.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bel A
Dear Bel A,

Thank you very much for your very kind words about our Resort. Your patronage is valued highly and I hope we can see you back in Vanuatu Le Lagon at the end of this year maybe? I am glad that we could entertain you and your kids for two weeks.

I must say, I love the gardens myslef! And yes those Island suites are something special.......

Kind Regards

Portland, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

January 2013 - We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the resort. Needing time to relax was the most important thing on our minds after a very full beginning to the new year and after working all year. Our favourite time of the day was in the afternoon when we spent time at the pool bar where we were able to enjoy a swim and a drink and meet other people.Catching the ferry across to Erakor Island was also a great experience and we were able to have a swim in the lagoon and enjoy a delicious lunch. The water was beautiful and clear and there were activities such as snorkling and canoeing being enjoyed by many. The rooms were excellent, cleaned daily and the grounds were perfect. The dining room provided different meals following different themes each night and the meals were impressive. Lunch and breakfast were good too. Staff were very attentive. Having a spa, a massage and a facial was also on the agenda which added to our relaxation. The most impressive part of the resort was definitely the many pools, beautifully maintained and a picture at any time of the day. Being a family favourite for many reasons, it also has many advantages for couples as well.

Room Tip: We had a second storey room and this was quite ideal for us.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue K
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Sue K,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I am certainly glad that you were able to relax after a busy year! What a great place to chose to come and do that.......Being very new to the Resort myself I am very keen to experience all those adventurous activities and different meals on offer also. I am looking forward also to meeting our guests at the pool side.

Again, thank you for your comments which I will feed back to our staff who will be thrilled to hear this and we would love to see you return to the Warwick Le Lagon.

Jeremy
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a Garden Room which was very close to the lagoon anyway. Swimming was great for the kids. The room was smallish but still enough room for the family, very clean and well appointed. Reception staff (the Ni Vanuatu) were so friendly and helpful. The breakfasts and dinners were second to none. made some friends with the locals and enjoyed a kava house drink up. Wife not happy as she was not allowed :)) Plenty of local 'taxi's' to get in and out of town. The resort pool was clean and well used by everyone. The resort is right on the lagoon and not far from town. Have to also bear in mind the culture and resiliance of the people to see off the English and the French to gain independance in 1980. The Ni Vanuatu people are building on their nation and for their own people which are so happy and friendly. So if you are after the Hilton Hotel style of accomodation and all they offer, don't stay here. They provide a tropical dream instead. Remember it's the holiday you are on, not the petty in room bits and pieces.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Etonbeach
Dear Etonbeach,

Thank you for your posting. It pleases me that you had a teriffic stay and I couldnt agree more with you that the Ni Vanuatu are a very friendly culture. I trust your Kava evening went well? I am sure to pass these comments on to our team who will be delighted to read them.

Newcastle, NSW,
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We returned to this resort for 8 nights in January 2013 - 2 adults and our 'kids' - 18 and 15. We loved the resort back in 2009 but weren't sure what to expect after reading mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. Happy to say we loved the resort again and had a great time. We were upgraded to two Lagoon Superior Rooms and although it was a bit of a walk to the pool and breakfast, we loved the private balcony for afternoon drinks overlooking the lagoon! Bathrooms are absolutely massive and the twin bathroom basins were great!
Our room was well maintained and we enjoyed the breakfasts and the daily happy hour although 2 hours for happy hour would be better! My son enjoyed the gym facilites and I love the pool at this resort. Everyone (guests and staff) were very friendly and we all made some new Facebook friends.
The Pool Grill was great for lunch. We ate twice at Wild Ginger and had mixed experiences, also ate at Erakor Island on two occasions which is very nice and tried some local spots in Port Vila.
Taxis (700 vatu) and buses (150 vatu each) were readily available to/from this resort.
Only complaint is the lack of availabilty of deck chairs caused by people who put their towels on chairs and then seem to disappear for most of the day - even by breakfast most chairs are "reserved".
A great place - highly recommended - and a great holiday to totally unwind and relax!

Room Tip: Lagoon superior rooms are great if you don't mind a bit of a walk and you get fine weather!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KeenOzTravellers
Dear KeenOzTravellers,

Your kind comments are appreciated and I am glad that we have been able to look after you twice with the same outcome of satisfaction. I will be sure to pass your favorable comments onto my team.

Maybe see you next year?

Washington, DC
Reviewed February 2, 2013

January 2013- Le Lagon, Vanuatu is a beautiful family-friendly resort in Port Vila, Vanuatu. The views and swimming pools are spectacular! A kind gentleman from the hotel took us out on the lagoon a sail boat. The water is so clear you can see every fish swimming by and every starfish resting on the bottom.
If you would like to hear some great traditional music go to the lobby. It's worth a stay just to hear the wonderful musicians!
The food isn't special. Salads are not as fresh as they could be,etc. Some have written about bigger food problems and they might be true but it's also possible that the problems could have been avoided by drinking bottled water. We drank only bottled water for our 5 day stay(including tooth brushing) and had no problems.
Speaking of food, there are some great places to eat in town. There is a sports bar facing the main street that has excellent food. There is also a very nice restaurant on the water in town. Pull into the outdoor market parking area and walk towards the water, then walk upstairs and you'll find it. There is also a cafe under it that has free wi-fi.
All food in town is slightly less expensive than the hotel and much higher quality.
It's best to pay hotel incidentals as you go instead of charging them to your room. The billing is often wrong. Keeping extra room charges off your bill will make checking out much easier.
Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Marcy M
Dear Marcy M,

Thank you for your very constructive over veiw of your recent visit. I am very new to the Resort myself and we recently just recruited a new Executive Chef as well.
With regard to billing this is something I also am looking at as I agree this should not ever be an issue in this day and age with the technology at our disposal.

Nevertheless thank you again for your rating of our Resort and I hope that we can welcome you back some time soon!

Newcastle
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in dec 2012 and had perfect weather every day. The hotel was absolutely beautiful, the grounds and rooms were always kept immaculately, the staff were friendly and helpful. We only ever stay in 4/5 star and we were still very impressed with this resort. Yes, as others said, the whole country seems to work on 'island time' but if you embrace this then it's not a problem. We just made sure the kids meals were ordered before they were hungry as sometimes they would take 1.5 hours to come. The whole place felt so safe and welcoming, our 3 kids (5, 7 & 8) wandered around the resort like it was their own tropical backyard and the staff would chop coconuts down for them and crack the open on demand! Breakfast was excellent every day and we always found lunch to be good too. If you order the same thing more than once you'll get something slightly different each time, so if your a stickler for having continuity be prepared. I recommend getting a room close to the pool if you have kids as its quite a hike from some of the rooms. You need to ask on checkin as there is no point requesting anything before hand. The free water activities are a bonus .. Sailing around the beautiful water up and down the lagoon was a fav of our family. The canoes, kayaks, and sailing boats were all in very good shape, and we also found the snorkelling equipment to be of a very high standard. The kids club was ok - they basically just sit around in the air con watching DVD most of the day, although most of the kids appeared to enjoy this. All in all, I would highly recommend this resort to families. It would still be a lovely place for couples who don't mind other people's kids but it takes the cake for family friendly accommodation!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool if you have kids.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex S
Dear Alex S,

Thank you so much for your review on our Resort. It sounds like you and your family really enjoyed yourselves. I must say how good the Ni Vanuatu are with children and they do get a great deal of delight when looking after them. I am new myself so I also look forward to doing the activities you mentioned on the water. The kids club, to let you know, I will be looking at from an offering point of view as we have such a good amount of space there.

Would love to see you back in Vanuatu at the Warwick Le Lagon sometime soon!