“Le Lagon a winner!”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
“Le Lagon a winner!”
Reviewed April 2, 2008

If you are looking for a relaxing, trouble-free family holiday you can't go past Le Lagon in Vanuatu. We stayed there in January and had a very enjoyable 7 days. Arriving at the island later than expected due to a flight delay, we were quickly offered cooling drinks to beat the tropical heat. They also calmed our nerves after travelling by taxis through traffic chaos (there are no road rules). To our surprise we were then upgraded to an ocean view room by the friendly staff. This service continued throughout our stay with 'nothing too much trouble", surprising especially as the resort was fully booked. Our room with a veranda was small and comfortable, not luxurious, but given its close proximity to the 2 fabulous restaurants, the white sandy beach and the lush golf course we were happy. Wether it was relaxing by the 3 pools, snorkelling in the clear waters or watching one of the nightly local tribal shows, we all had something to do even during the frequent tropical downpours. The kids club offered a wide variety of options for the children and put the meaning back into 'time out' for the adults. A highlight of our trip included the people we met at the resort, both staff and holidaymakers. It was almost comical when we met an Australian family who lived 'just down the road’ from us. Our children made some great friends and ‘the gang’ spent most of the time swimming and exploring all the water sports the resort had to offer. With plenty of staff to attend to the gardens and restaurants, the whole resort was safe, immaculate and presented with distinct tropical flair. We would highly recommend Le Lagon to all who wish for an overseas holiday without the expensive price tag (especially if you contact them direct).

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the room itself
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jengregg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Hunter Valley
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My family (2 adults & 3 kids) travelled to Vanuatu for a wedding in late March 08 and decided to stay at the Le Lagon due to the kids club facility and hearing that it was one of the best resorts in Vanuatu - what a mistake. The trip cost us over $6500 - that was for 3 airfares and 9 nights accommodation in interconnecting rooms (needed due to the fact there was 5 of us).

The rooms ended up costing us $500 per night and the sink fell off the wall TWICE (once nearly on the head of my 20mth old), the sink leaked all the time despite numerous requests for it to be fixed (the man did come a couple of days after the first request and just kept glueing up the sink, but then it would leak somewhere else) which made the floor slippery and used up all of our towels to keep it dry, the air conditoner didnt work properly and was finally fixed after a complaint to the travel agent - I had rung them to see if we could leave early but I had booked my ticket on frequent flyers and there were no seats available.

We were located in the 500 series rooms (Lagoon Deluxe???) which I had tried to avoid but there we no other interconnecting rooms elsewhere available.

Other problems with the resort were:

~ KIDS CLUB ~

* Lacked supervision and enthusiasm from nearly all staff (some were ok)
* Some staff are lazy and did not participate much with kids
* The schedule is rarely followed, actvities are expensive and outings (i think) are inappropriate. My kids didnt want to stay there much and I felt uncomfortable leaving them there at times - there was NO WAY I was letting the staff take my kids off the grounds after signing a waiver stating that any incidents (intentional or unintentional) are not the responsibility of the hotel!
* Children are able to sign themselves in and out without any parental involvement
* The Kids Club is old and needs refurbishment
* The Kids KC Club is expensive and not worth the $
* We finally found a decent baby sitter on the last 2 nights (Helen) who actually bothered to change a nappy and sit with our baby. We only had our kids babysit in the Kids Club as we felt uncomfortable with them in the rooms alone, with more kids around they were often looked after by the older girls attending kids club.

~ ROOMS ~ (500 SERIES)

* Telephones didnt work sometimes and are attached to open power sockets
* Old, outdated and ugly, esp. the bathrooms
* Our room had a rusty nail sticking out the the wall where the kids got out of the bath
* There were constant ants in the kids bathroom in the bath and the sink where we were washing bottles and dummies
* Movie channels are just DVD's (some pirated) playing over and over again
* Key locks dont work properly (we had a key for one of the rooms that didn't fit either door???)
* Airconditioners dont work properly
* Bad lighting in rooms and very small
* Not enough places to hang wet stuff to dry - and it takes forever to dry something
* No where to sit/eat inside
* The bathrooms had mould all around the floor

~ OTHER ~

* Walkways are uneven - hard to see at night as the walkways are not well lit and we all kept tripping over uneven concrete
* I dont beleive in 'Vanuatu time'. You expect basic service from your staff when you are staying at a resort and most staff were apathetic and didnt listen
* The kids food and buffet menus are horrible and inappropriate - there is only so much hot chips a kid can eat and the buffet had stuff kids dont eat in it. The staff at the Kids Club, however, piled their plates and often left kids to fend for themselves when getting food and drinks
* Water is expensive (we bought a couple of bottles at the start and filled them with boiled water from the rooms - until the kettle broke that is)
* Areas around the pool are VERY slippery. We all fell over at least 3 times, the kids more. My daughter also burnt her feet on a round metal cover near the shallow end of the bottom pool - what a stupid place to put it - right on the stairs!
* Not enough umbrellas and the deck chairs are crap - they dont sit upright
* Breakfast is the best buffet meal of the day - however the milk in the jugs is old and just refilled each time. It took us a couple of mornings to figure out why our tea tasted horrible, it was the milk. We ended up getting it from the cereal section in a glass. They also need urns for the tea and coffee rather than waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for the staff to bring it to you and then it is cold anyway
* There is NO LAUNDRY facility - you have to pay to have clothes laundered
* No ice machine
* The cement around our rooms was mouldy and wet with slime all the time
* Things were charged on the account that we didnt buy - check it all the time
* The buffet is crap and expensive - go to the Wild Ginger instead
* Although it says 'no tips' on all the paperwork, most staff dont think the same. On the first night the man who showed my mother and grandmother to their room wouldnt leave until they gave him a tip - and then he told them it wasnt enough and put his hand out for more! When I questioned it the next day the front desk male staff on all gave me smirks (you get used to these, the male staff always seemed to smirk at you when you asked for something) and said that tips are encouraged but not asked for.

The pool area was the best place to be and we spent most of our time there. However saying that, my son and mother both caught themselves on tiles in the pool that were sticking out. My son now has a lovely infected toe that needs to be lanced and have the toenail removed. The drinks are expensive - we took our duty free down to the pool and drank that.

We went into town once - dirty horrible place. There is no worthwhile shopping there and the markets are very expensive - the stores on the street were cheaper. Get your mixers and some food there to snack on.

Am I whinging? I dont think so. I paid a lot of money for this trip and expect some kind of service and facility, esp. for $500 a night. After a week I met with the General Manager to express my concerns who listened - but didnt really if that makes sense. After I met with him I received a bottle of champagne, a free dinner at the Wild Ginger, 2 lunch vouchers, crappy and cheap kids club shirts and they turned by beds down for the last 2 nights and put some biscuits on them. Woo Hoo.

We had a awful time and counted down the days until we could leave (it didnt help that Air Vanuatu lost my bag on the night we arrived - it came a week later but had all of my clothes, shoes, all our family's toiletries and my stuff for the wedding I was Bridesmaid in). We wont be going back to Vanuatu - ever. Save your money and stay somewhere else in Australia. The prices are the same for everything and you know that there are some standards, esp with the Kids Club. Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments or if you want some photos of the rooms.

• Liked — Going home
  • Disliked — Pick something!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank cjcrane
Tamworth
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We went to Le Lagon for a weding and a holiday with friends. There were 4 adults and 5 children ranging from 12yr to 1 yr. The room was great 2 adults and 2 kids we had a garden deluxe room. The food was great we had the all inclusive package which isdefinately the way to go others at the wedding didn't do that and wished they had. They had to go into Port Vila for food for lunch etc. Variety was good - breakfast eggs anyway - we liked the pool grill for lunch and dinner the buffets changed each night. There was always a good variety of dishes including salads. We did eat at Wild Ginger twice which had a surchage which was sooo worth it. The food in that restraunt was surperb santo beef, lobster great sushi yum that was a highlight for me. Kids club was not available for our 1 year old but the other kids picked the things they wanted to do mixed thoughts between them all. The excursion to the school was good.
My husband enjoyed the endless supply of food and Tusker beer we definatley will go back when our 1 year old can use kids club! A great location with great value

• Liked — Value - food and drink, beautiful location, not too far away
  • Disliked — Humidity
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank travellingcircus08
Acukland
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Reading from previous reviews on this website, I can only assume the hotel has been taken on by new management since then. I will agree that the resort itself is beautifully landscaped and is a great place for families with young kids with events organised for them but unforunately I was there with my wife only and for us, the place came across as Fawlty Towers! First of all the staff seemed half trained and uncordinated (except the concerige). Now I like my food to at least have some flavour, but the buffet breakfast and dinner was outrageously bad. I guess kids may not be aware of good tasting food once it loooks familar to them, but god were we glad we ate outside of the resort for 2 nights. Now I was thinking perhaps we are food snobs, but on the last day we found ourselves talking to numerous other families of which the parents felt the exact same. Most of them tried the room service sometimes instead of the "bums in seats" slop that came out as buffet food on some nights. I actually feel sorry for the staff even though they were at times incompetent for a 4 star graded hotel, as its the managements faults or ignorance for not noticing this. Any idiot can spot diabolical from average food (which a buffet generally tends to be). I'll end this by highlighting that the buffet dinner cost AUS$45 per person for pure slop. This same price would normally get you a top notch main course in any big city! Again this may not be a factor in determining your decision. Everyone has their own priorities, its just disappointing to experience this at a 4 star hotel. Finally they have the Wild Ginger resturant. Food is reasonably nice there for the price but it won't be included in any package deal you can get.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank irishman2008
South Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2008

This was my husband and I first trip to Vanuatu and loved it. LE Lagon was more than we expected and all staff were very friendly. Our room was made up every day with a different flower decoration on the bed, the Easter eggs were a pleasant surprise. The gardens were beautifull and the grounds clean. We thought the buffet style was well organised and plenty of food, we were always greeted with a welcoming smile and never had to wait long for our drinks. We had pre dinner drinks in the lobby every night which was a great way to talk to others about there activities and the staff were easily to chat to. We booked our tours through the front desk who were very helpful. The massage tent on the beach front is well worth indulging in. The Wild Ginger resturant was a great way to have a quiet and relaxing dinner and watch the chef cook up a storm. Yes the prices are a bit steep but it is a RESORT not a motel we will certainly stay at Le Lagon again. We just couldn't fault the staff and we loved the fact that no-one was running around and trying to rush us as we were on holidays and we can rush at home.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — small size
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank linkbr
sydney
Reviewed March 8, 2008

we arrived in vanuatu 22-02-2008 to hot humid weather we were
met at the airport by our transfer bus the people were very friendly and delivered us to le legon resort safely although we were very suprised at how fast everyone drives. we were welcomed with a drink and locals playing music after we checked in it started to rain heavily we were given umbrellas and shown our room . the room was an old one which hadnt been renovated but we didnt worry as we spent almost all the time outdoors either in the pools ( which were lovely 3 to choose from so they were never crowded) or other activities . the breakfast was great plenty of variety we had lunch by the pool most days this was also good. the buffet at night wasnt very good our kids aged 8 12 and 14 liked to eat with us at night and did not like the buffet at all .we ended up using room service for dinner which was excellent the kids enjoyed the pizza. i was very pleased with our stay as i wasnt sure when i read some reviews saying they were unhappy we found the staff brilliant great manners nothing was to much trouble and we got smiled at constantly. overall i found the resort lovely and when renovations are finished it will be perfect. we will be going back hopefully next year .

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank stressed08
Newcastle
Reviewed March 6, 2008

This is my second stay at the Le Lagon Hotel the first being in 1980..!!, showing my age now! The hotel has physically much improved from those days.
Travelling with wife and 11 yr old daughter.
Having done my homework by reading the reviews posted on Tripadvisor I expected a greeting on arrival at the hotel to be something special, there was indeed a greeting with a native band singing and playing music, but a little underwhelming with them loosing interest in continuing and after a short time packing up and heading off some place else. I was to learn later that alot of the staff seemed to have little interest in looking after the guests in an active or interested manner.

On presentation to the reception desk and with thoughts of previous reviews regarding the quality and the location of accommodation, we found we had been allocated a Lagoon View Room in the 500 series at the boundary of the resort. We indicated to the reception staff that our understanding regarding these rooms that they were of a poorer quality and some distance from the main areas of the resort and asked for a reallocation to the 100 series rooms which were of better quality. The reception staff began the reallocation without argument and reallocated us to that series but we would have to wait a short time until the room had been serviced. She directed us to the lobby bar where we could wait. An hour later and becoming irate about the delay we approached reception regarding our room only to be told the room allocated was now being renovated. The reception staff then indicated we would be allocated a Lagoon View Bungalow 327 (an upgrade!!), but again we would have to wait until it had been serviced!!, Oh no not again!!, Decided to have a beer (Tusker) at the lobby bar and not being on the "All inclusive" stay, paid 550 vatu for a 330ml bottle, that was AUD $7.50 at the prevailing exchange rate!!!!!. I was to learn very quickly not to buy drinks in the resort unless you have a very healthy bank account. After another hour of waiting and again getting hotter under the collar we approached reception to inquire as to the progress of the room, the lady indicated after a phone call that it was ready, we were relieved. The bungalow was on the edge of the Erakor lagoon, great position albeit a bit tired and in need of renovation but quite acceptable. The air conditioning was on and working very well, we had arrived!
Interestingly I had to go back to the reception area a short time after moving into our bungalow and found two other travellers from our arrival group, one rather aggressively complaining about the room he had been allocated and demanding action the other putting in words of support .

I was pleasantly suprised with the grounds its a gardeners dream, the whole resort was well manicured and the variety of plant life extensive. The gardeners of which there were many, being the most friendly of the Le Lagon staff. The pool area is fantastic with 5 pools, swim up bar, heated spa (too much chlorine and dont know why you would bother), kids pool and infants pool. Plenty of sun lounges and umbrellas.
The pool bar and pool BBQ staff seemed to work on their own terms prefering to talk with each other than pay attention to the guests. The main restaurant area staff on the whole took this attitude as well with the exception of one or two staff members.
The main restaurant area has a themed buffet every night for dinner, it seemed to me a cheap way of feeding lots of people and needs to be reviewed, and if your thinking about eating there and your not "All Inclusive" be prepare to pay through the nose AUD $48.00 each for a buffet of mass produced themed food every night?? And you cant get anything else unless you go to the more expensive Wild Ginger Asian Fusion Restaurant next door and pay more, even the All Inclusive guests pay extra. You can do much better hoping on a bus for 100 vatu or catching a taxi (300 vatu) into town(about a ten minute ride) and eating at the many restaurants for half the price and eat what you want. Another alternative is to catch the free water taxi over to the Erakor Resort opposite the Le Lagon and have a meal there, the beers a bit cheaper as well.
Breakfast again was buffet fare and the same thing every day, not bad food and a fair variety. Le Lagon tout they have staff skilled in cooking eggs and omelets at breakfast, you will need to be careful here as what you get is mostly raw both from the buffet and the person cooking it freshly, you need to closely supervise the person cooking to get what you want. Again the wait staff at breakfast are mostly inattentive.

Reading the blurbs provided by the hotel the Kids Club was supposed to be something special and we were looking forward to our daughter attending and enjoying herself, not so. The first day she attended she was the first one there and we dropped her off and went to the pool, a short time later daughter arrived indicating she had just been made to sweep the floor of the kids club and now had to scrub the floor, I was not impressed but there was an apology forthcoming from the management. Overall the kids club did not measure up, the staff seemed to be disinterested and lacking in enthusiasm. Daughter would turn up and find no other children there, staff would say come back later instead of making her welcome, I wondered how many kids they said that to. And forget about the posted activities list for the day, it would have little to do with what actually happened. Daughter was very disappointed. Kids menu also needs overhauling, how many burgers and chips can a kid eat over a holiday?
Sounds like we had a bad time at Le Lagon, I wouldnt say that, just a frustrating time. The Resort had lower occupancy than usual and I think perhaps the customer service had slipped a fair bit. Interestingly the number of "All Inclusive" guests seemed at a low level in relation to the "full fee" paying guests.
Suggestions for travellers staying at Le Lagon would include. 1. Follow up your requests and bookings as there is often discrepancies in what you have requested and get, and confirm any booking you make through the concierge the day before you go, just incase. 2 Get out of the resort and into town there's lots of alternative places to eat and cheaper. 3. Go to the supermarkets "Au Bon Marchet " if you want beer (200 vatu. about AUD $2.40 per bottle)and nibbles for your room, dont use the minibar system, unless money is no object!
Would I go back? I guess so, I now know the pitfalls and the resort is in a great location

• Liked — Close to the Lagoon
  • Disliked — Too small needing refurbishment
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family