“Scenic location, but terrible food”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Acukland
“Scenic location, but terrible food”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Reading from previous reviews on this website, I can only assume the hotel has been taken on by new management since then. I will agree that the resort itself is beautifully landscaped and is a great place for families with young kids with events organised for them but unforunately I was there with my wife only and for us, the place came across as Fawlty Towers! First of all the staff seemed half trained and uncordinated (except the concerige). Now I like my food to at least have some flavour, but the buffet breakfast and dinner was outrageously bad. I guess kids may not be aware of good tasting food once it loooks familar to them, but god were we glad we ate outside of the resort for 2 nights. Now I was thinking perhaps we are food snobs, but on the last day we found ourselves talking to numerous other families of which the parents felt the exact same. Most of them tried the room service sometimes instead of the "bums in seats" slop that came out as buffet food on some nights. I actually feel sorry for the staff even though they were at times incompetent for a 4 star graded hotel, as its the managements faults or ignorance for not noticing this. Any idiot can spot diabolical from average food (which a buffet generally tends to be). I'll end this by highlighting that the buffet dinner cost AUS$45 per person for pure slop. This same price would normally get you a top notch main course in any big city! Again this may not be a factor in determining your decision. Everyone has their own priorities, its just disappointing to experience this at a 4 star hotel. Finally they have the Wild Ginger resturant. Food is reasonably nice there for the price but it won't be included in any package deal you can get.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank irishman2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
South Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2008

This was my husband and I first trip to Vanuatu and loved it. LE Lagon was more than we expected and all staff were very friendly. Our room was made up every day with a different flower decoration on the bed, the Easter eggs were a pleasant surprise. The gardens were beautifull and the grounds clean. We thought the buffet style was well organised and plenty of food, we were always greeted with a welcoming smile and never had to wait long for our drinks. We had pre dinner drinks in the lobby every night which was a great way to talk to others about there activities and the staff were easily to chat to. We booked our tours through the front desk who were very helpful. The massage tent on the beach front is well worth indulging in. The Wild Ginger resturant was a great way to have a quiet and relaxing dinner and watch the chef cook up a storm. Yes the prices are a bit steep but it is a RESORT not a motel we will certainly stay at Le Lagon again. We just couldn't fault the staff and we loved the fact that no-one was running around and trying to rush us as we were on holidays and we can rush at home.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — small size
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank linkbr
sydney
Reviewed March 8, 2008

we arrived in vanuatu 22-02-2008 to hot humid weather we were
met at the airport by our transfer bus the people were very friendly and delivered us to le legon resort safely although we were very suprised at how fast everyone drives. we were welcomed with a drink and locals playing music after we checked in it started to rain heavily we were given umbrellas and shown our room . the room was an old one which hadnt been renovated but we didnt worry as we spent almost all the time outdoors either in the pools ( which were lovely 3 to choose from so they were never crowded) or other activities . the breakfast was great plenty of variety we had lunch by the pool most days this was also good. the buffet at night wasnt very good our kids aged 8 12 and 14 liked to eat with us at night and did not like the buffet at all .we ended up using room service for dinner which was excellent the kids enjoyed the pizza. i was very pleased with our stay as i wasnt sure when i read some reviews saying they were unhappy we found the staff brilliant great manners nothing was to much trouble and we got smiled at constantly. overall i found the resort lovely and when renovations are finished it will be perfect. we will be going back hopefully next year .

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank stressed08
Newcastle
Reviewed March 6, 2008

This is my second stay at the Le Lagon Hotel the first being in 1980..!!, showing my age now! The hotel has physically much improved from those days.
Travelling with wife and 11 yr old daughter.
Having done my homework by reading the reviews posted on Tripadvisor I expected a greeting on arrival at the hotel to be something special, there was indeed a greeting with a native band singing and playing music, but a little underwhelming with them loosing interest in continuing and after a short time packing up and heading off some place else. I was to learn later that alot of the staff seemed to have little interest in looking after the guests in an active or interested manner.

On presentation to the reception desk and with thoughts of previous reviews regarding the quality and the location of accommodation, we found we had been allocated a Lagoon View Room in the 500 series at the boundary of the resort. We indicated to the reception staff that our understanding regarding these rooms that they were of a poorer quality and some distance from the main areas of the resort and asked for a reallocation to the 100 series rooms which were of better quality. The reception staff began the reallocation without argument and reallocated us to that series but we would have to wait a short time until the room had been serviced. She directed us to the lobby bar where we could wait. An hour later and becoming irate about the delay we approached reception regarding our room only to be told the room allocated was now being renovated. The reception staff then indicated we would be allocated a Lagoon View Bungalow 327 (an upgrade!!), but again we would have to wait until it had been serviced!!, Oh no not again!!, Decided to have a beer (Tusker) at the lobby bar and not being on the "All inclusive" stay, paid 550 vatu for a 330ml bottle, that was AUD $7.50 at the prevailing exchange rate!!!!!. I was to learn very quickly not to buy drinks in the resort unless you have a very healthy bank account. After another hour of waiting and again getting hotter under the collar we approached reception to inquire as to the progress of the room, the lady indicated after a phone call that it was ready, we were relieved. The bungalow was on the edge of the Erakor lagoon, great position albeit a bit tired and in need of renovation but quite acceptable. The air conditioning was on and working very well, we had arrived!
Interestingly I had to go back to the reception area a short time after moving into our bungalow and found two other travellers from our arrival group, one rather aggressively complaining about the room he had been allocated and demanding action the other putting in words of support .

I was pleasantly suprised with the grounds its a gardeners dream, the whole resort was well manicured and the variety of plant life extensive. The gardeners of which there were many, being the most friendly of the Le Lagon staff. The pool area is fantastic with 5 pools, swim up bar, heated spa (too much chlorine and dont know why you would bother), kids pool and infants pool. Plenty of sun lounges and umbrellas.
The pool bar and pool BBQ staff seemed to work on their own terms prefering to talk with each other than pay attention to the guests. The main restaurant area staff on the whole took this attitude as well with the exception of one or two staff members.
The main restaurant area has a themed buffet every night for dinner, it seemed to me a cheap way of feeding lots of people and needs to be reviewed, and if your thinking about eating there and your not "All Inclusive" be prepare to pay through the nose AUD $48.00 each for a buffet of mass produced themed food every night?? And you cant get anything else unless you go to the more expensive Wild Ginger Asian Fusion Restaurant next door and pay more, even the All Inclusive guests pay extra. You can do much better hoping on a bus for 100 vatu or catching a taxi (300 vatu) into town(about a ten minute ride) and eating at the many restaurants for half the price and eat what you want. Another alternative is to catch the free water taxi over to the Erakor Resort opposite the Le Lagon and have a meal there, the beers a bit cheaper as well.
Breakfast again was buffet fare and the same thing every day, not bad food and a fair variety. Le Lagon tout they have staff skilled in cooking eggs and omelets at breakfast, you will need to be careful here as what you get is mostly raw both from the buffet and the person cooking it freshly, you need to closely supervise the person cooking to get what you want. Again the wait staff at breakfast are mostly inattentive.

Reading the blurbs provided by the hotel the Kids Club was supposed to be something special and we were looking forward to our daughter attending and enjoying herself, not so. The first day she attended she was the first one there and we dropped her off and went to the pool, a short time later daughter arrived indicating she had just been made to sweep the floor of the kids club and now had to scrub the floor, I was not impressed but there was an apology forthcoming from the management. Overall the kids club did not measure up, the staff seemed to be disinterested and lacking in enthusiasm. Daughter would turn up and find no other children there, staff would say come back later instead of making her welcome, I wondered how many kids they said that to. And forget about the posted activities list for the day, it would have little to do with what actually happened. Daughter was very disappointed. Kids menu also needs overhauling, how many burgers and chips can a kid eat over a holiday?
Sounds like we had a bad time at Le Lagon, I wouldnt say that, just a frustrating time. The Resort had lower occupancy than usual and I think perhaps the customer service had slipped a fair bit. Interestingly the number of "All Inclusive" guests seemed at a low level in relation to the "full fee" paying guests.
Suggestions for travellers staying at Le Lagon would include. 1. Follow up your requests and bookings as there is often discrepancies in what you have requested and get, and confirm any booking you make through the concierge the day before you go, just incase. 2 Get out of the resort and into town there's lots of alternative places to eat and cheaper. 3. Go to the supermarkets "Au Bon Marchet " if you want beer (200 vatu. about AUD $2.40 per bottle)and nibbles for your room, dont use the minibar system, unless money is no object!
Would I go back? I guess so, I now know the pitfalls and the resort is in a great location

• Liked — Close to the Lagoon
  • Disliked — Too small needing refurbishment
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank PJHNEWCASTLE
carantrex
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed at Le Lagon for our honeymoon, which is in the low season for them which was great because there wasn't very many people around and we had the place to ourselves. Food was fantastic, service was even better, even though it was a bit slow you don't seem to notice or mind.
Over all could not fault a thing,

• Liked — Close to all areas of the resort
1 Thank carantrex
Sydney
Reviewed March 3, 2008

My husband & I stayed at Le Lagon for 10 nights from 15th Feb 2008.
The reception on arrival is very welcoming. We didn't book transfers and caught a cab which only cost 2500 vatu (Approx $35AUD). I would highly recommend this option, as you arrive prior to the transfer buses, so there was no waiting around. We were not originally in a newly renovated room, however based on the feedback from this website, they happily moved us on request to the 100 series room.
We stayed in lagoon view room, which was small but nice. The room was serviced daily and had no problem with towels or cleanliness.
We did not get the all inclusive food & beverage package, and was glad for it. The buffet theme varies each night, and can be quite expensive and the food isn't great, the price changes each night dependent on theme cheapest was 3000 vatu each for roast night, (Approx $40AUD each).
The Asian fusion restaurant is lovely, as is the service and well worth going to this restaurant vs the buffet. Lots of lovely restaurants in town, so often ate lunch & dinner away from hotel.
Make sure you check your room bill. The hotel is 'cashless' and all costs get charged to your room. We checked the bill a few times, and had overcharges each time. I ended up writing everything down on paper that we charged to the room, and it saved us a lot in overcharges.
The drinks are expensive for example 1900 vatu (Approx $15AUD) for bourboun & coke, so buy duty free & have a few drinks in your room. Buy large bottles of water from town supermarkets, and put in your fridge as the hotel charges approx $8 per 1.5L bottle, town spupermarkets charge approx $2.50 per bottle.
Pool is awesome, as is the beach right at your feet. We bought snorkels & goggles with us, and we snorkelled everyday infront of the hotel. I would recommend taking these with you.
We stayed during slow period, which meant we didn't receive the bad service etc that other people have discussed on this site. Although there are the odd drinks that never turn up after you have ordered them.
It takes a while to get into the slow pace, but once you do you will be as relaxed as the staff, and not worry about anything.
Also recommend to hire a taxi for the day rather then paying for the tours. It's cheaper and you can go at your own pace. It will cost approx 12,000 vatu for a day with a taxi driver (Approx $155).
We visted other hotels, and Le Lagon was by far superior to the other major hotels in Port Vila.

• Liked — The location & access to beaches
  • Disliked — The service can be frustrating
3 Thank HolidayMakerSydney
Richmond
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at Le Lagon Resort in early February and we had a fantastic time. I had heard some negative reviews on trip advisor but I found none of this to be true when we stayed there. We stayed during low season which I would recommend because there were less people around and the service was great. We never had to wait for meals or drink service and all the staff were very attentive (a special mention to Frida who worked on the poolside bar who was amazing). The whole place has been renovated so there are now 3 big lagoon pools and we spent many hours at the swim up bar. We stayed in a Garden Deluxe room which was rather small but more than adequate, besides we spent all our time outside by the pool. Although it was their wet season, we had full sun everyday.
The hotel staff took us out snorkelling which was great and there was plenty to do like tennis and golf. The buffet breakfast was a pleasure every morning and dinner at Wild Ginger Restaurant at the resort was amazing. We ate both al a carte and teppinyaki and they were great.
Contrary to other reports on trip advisor, we didn't find that the staff overcharged us on anything as our bill was very accurate.
Port Vila isn't that interesting but you have to visit the cascade water falls.....breathtaking. We also swam in the pools below the waterfalls which was fun.
My advice is to be aware of how much you are spending because vanuatu isn't cheap. We found the resort food wasn't much more expensive than in town but drinks were cheaper in port vila. We went out on a Friday night to Voodoo Bar and it was packed with tourists. It got kicking around 11:30 and we had an awesome time.
Overall we a great experience at Le Lagon and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The sun, the crystal blue waters, the relaxed nature of the place
  • Disliked — Was sometimes a bit too quiet at night when we were looking for people to drink with
5 Thank bolto26