“Disappointing”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We paid extra to get a double garden bungalow so that we would have a bit more space as we were traveling with a 3 year old and 5 month old. Unfortunately our room was a lot smaller than we were expecting and didn't have a cot or microwave waiting in our room like we had requested. However this was rectified a few hours later. Like Fiji the staff tend to operate on Fiji time.

The food and menus were very ordinary, over cooked and over priced, even the kids menu was lacking and our 3 year old was bored of it by the second day. We also all got food poisoning even though we were very careful with what we ate and drank. Wild ginger was very nice but over priced. Kids club was very ordinary with not much in the way of games or activities and our son didn't want to stay there, one thing to note that when they take the kids down to the pool for swimming time every afternoon the nannies do not get into pool with the kids so unless they are fairly tall in order to stand up in the kid pool which is still a meter deep at the deep end or a good swimmer they shouldn't be going with the kids club.

On a good note though the pools and grounds are gorgeous. The baby sitters that you can hire were very meek and mild, and some with not much English but were lovely and I think they just sat and cuddled our 5 month old the whole 3 or so hours they looked after him. The activity staff were also fantastic, but the rest of the staff were a mixed bag. Don't expect much in the way of service or for them to even get your order correct at the pool bar and the front desk staff would obviously rather be somewhere else. We had to organize our own tours as Anna on the tour desk couldnt be bothered, and ended up making few deals with taxi drivers we met on our trips into town to go and see the sights.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mel T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We've just returned from 10 nights at Warwick Le Lagon and couldn't fault anything. The staff were beautiful, shy yet ever so helpful when we needed something or wanted to know something. The resort itself is perfectly located on the outskirts of Port Vila with a short taxi or bus ride to town. The rooms are simple yet spacious and we had interconnecting rooms so heaps of room. The food was fabulous, such a great selection on each of their themed nights. I would highly recommend this resort. Remember perfection is unachievable, go with the flow and relax.

Room Tip: The Lagoon rooms are great with beautiful views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hzcurri
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights with my husband, 4 year old & 11 month old sons. I can't recommend it highly enough. The most outstanding experience of our entire stay was the friendliness if the staff & locals. I had read how nice they were before arriving, but I was blown away at just how gentle & kind-hearted they were. We had a "buddy" Gladys loom after our boys for a couple of hours each day. She was so lovely. My boys warmed to her inmediately. Before getting there I was hesitant about whether I'd feel comfortable & confident leaving my boys in the care of a stranger, so to speak, but all my reservations left me when I met our buddy, & they all seemed the same. The resort is super clean, the food delicious. We were also worried about get a tummy bug, but none of us did. We just ensured we drank water the whole time. The pools are great for the kids & the location is heavenly. One negative was the earthquake tremor we felt in the middle of the night on our first night there, but only my husband & I woke to it, the kids stayed asleep. Also, the room service menu, laundry service & dining at any of the restaurants was very expensive. Much more than we expected. But it was still delicious & since we were on a rare holiday we tried to not worry about our bank account. Overall, I highly recommend this resort. I hope everyone else who goes has as good of a time as what we did!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Amy B
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I visited the hotel as part of a large group on our annual convention for a week, though the property is getting on (It must have been built in the seventies) the rooms and facilities were in good order and for a change in the pacific everything worked as it was supposed to.

Service was on "island time" and a quite a bit slower than most of us would have liked but it was hard not to like the friendly people and the place. A good family destination

Room Tip: try and book something overlooking the lagoon
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at le Lagon with another couple and had no plans to do any excursions for these 2 days, and thought there appeared to be enough to do on-site.
The pool was great, but pool bar staff were not very proactive when it came to taking and delivering orders., dining was good although quite expensive.
We paid to hire golf carts, two available and one broke down half way round the course, this was compensated with a free cart the next day.
Yachts were available, two were in operable condition.
Room service was good, and it would not matter where you were staying, you don't spend much time in your room anyway.
We went over to Erakor for dinner on our last night and had a great meal, staff were more friendly over there.
Quite a lot of construction going on at Le Lagon, but this was not a problem for us.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My first visit to Le Lagon was over 30 years ago. What the resort is today is nothing whatsoever like the original version and the owners seem to be intent of making it even better all the time....hence the building works which seem to continually be happening, driving some guests mad. I think it's about time the owners just sent the builders off home and left the guests in peace for a while. That is the only reason I didn't give Le Lagon 5 stars. So wear ear plugs if you must and then just enjoy this wonderful place.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the 500 or 600 prefix, make sure you wear your hiking boots, or ask to be drive...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DrewboySydney
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Check-in and check-out procedure the worst I've experienced anywhere. 50 mins wait. No one seemed to know what was going on and no one makes a decision. Building works going on near us, so a power saw and hammering at 8am in the morning wasn't appreciated. A pity really, as the resort has a lovely position on the lagoon.
We did have a good time kayaking out on the lagoon one morning. Pool area very nice, so young families would really appreciate all the pools.
Resort restaurant nice and clean - nice breakfast. I would say go to this resort only on a last minute deal of some sort - rack rate really far too high for what you get.

Room Tip: Ask if any building works are going on near your room - and get away from it. Drinks are expensive...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple