“Fantastic for families”

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic for families”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I and our four year old son stayed at the Holiday Inn for 5 nights this October and can't wait to come back!

It was our first trip to Vanuatu and my sons first trip overseas. This resort is absolutely fantastic for those that have children. There is so much to keep them entertained - jumping castles, swimming, trampoline, playstation, games on the beach, tennis, the list goes on!! The swimming pool was a big hit with my son - straight after breakfast every morning he was ready to go for a swim.

Kids Club was also great. The staff were so friendly and there was so many wonderful activities for the children to do. My sons favourites were the t-shirt painting, cookie making and of course the swimming!!

The food at the resort is great (still dreaming about the buffet breakfasts!). Yes food and drink can be expensive but it's no different to any other resort. We ended up visiting one of the supermarkets in town and stocked up on a few things there which made things a lot cheaper.

The resort is only a short drive from town and there are always taxis ready and waiting to take you where you want to go. It costs 500 vt or about $6 Australian to catch a taxi into town.

My family and I can't wait to go back to Vanuatu and will definitely be staying at the Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jackruby8
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Good Morning Jackruby8

Thank you for the review and choosing Vanuatu as your sons first oversea's trip!

Sounds like you choose the right destination and experienced some of the warm and friendly people of Vanuatu who just love interacting with the kids. We are lucky enough to have Port Vila just a short distance away allowing access not only to the town centre but also to the restaurants and shops.

Looks like we will be welcoming you back to Vanuatu in the near future.

Tankiu Tumas

Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have just returned from 9 days at the Holiday Inn we our three children aged, 5,3,2 yrs. We had a lagoon room interconnecting. Our room 253/255 was in the best location. So close to kids club, reception, a short walk to the pool and 8 stairs to the laundry room..

The pool and lagoon are just lovely and extremely relaxing. The activities crew were the most outgoing and friendly we met. The kayaks, paddle boards and daily activities were a great way to break up the very long days (5am start for us each day). The meals delivered at the Pool Bar were excellent. Just be cautious of your communication with the staff and check your bills before your sign. There were a few errors but we bought this up with management in order to rectify as it happened every time we ordered and to most guests we spoke to. The grounds and lagoon are exactly as the photographs...no need to edit. The staff spend hours each day cleaning and ensuring the beach area is pristine as possible. The starfish and marine life was beautiful and great that you didnt have to leave the resort to do this. Johnathon and Freddy from the bar staff got better in their customer service throughout the last days of our holiday...they began to engage with us which was great..it was just a shame that the laughs and fun happened in the last 24 hours of the trip.

The Breakfast was lovely and had a large variety. The Al La Carte dining was beautifully presented and tasted delish and I recommend that you order from this rather than the buffet as it is better value for money and the quality of food far exceeds the buffet. I felt that food and cutlery was not replaced efficiently....particularly the children's plastic spoons and forks (which by the way was an AWESOME thing to have available.

The Kids club was fantastic. Very modern, clean and with plenty of things to do. The staff were very good with the kids and every time I walked past were fully engaged in playing with them. I really cant stress how amazing this service was. Some of the staff were difficult to engage but the girls seemed to relate with them and thats all the matters.

The spa...mmmm..my husband and I had a couples massage on the beachfront in our package. Location AWESOME...service TERRIBLE. As a result I was too scared to invest my hard earned dollars so I went into town for spa services.....I also wasn't the only guest to be very unimpressed with the massage.

The staff really let it down for us. They make it very uncomfortable for you to dine or order...they appeared very "slave" like. I am a pretty outgoing person but I could barely get a smile or laugh out of most of the staff. Not all of them....but many.I Im not sure if it was a communication/language barrier or what but many seemed very robotic and tired. We have travelled to Fiji which is VERY different....I felt that they just looked at us travellers as spoilt and like we were "ruining their day" by asking for a coffee.

Overall though it was a great holiday!

2 Thank Amy M
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Good Morning Amy M

Overall it certainly sounds like you had a great break. The Melanesian people are reserved by nature unlike the Polynesians of Fiji and can come across as shy and with a literacy rate that is below 70% at times communication can be a challenge and one that we continually work on. Sorry to hear that the Spa treatments did not meet your expectations on this trip and I certainly appreciate the feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you all back to Vanuatu in the near future.

Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2013

As an older married couple, my wife and I found this to be an excellent resort in all aspects. The food was great whether it came from the 'In-Room Dining' menu, the Poolside Bar menu, the Buffett or the Al-a-Carte menu. Yes the prices were typical resort prices but not too high. Our room was a well appointed King Garden View Room overlooking the golf course. Australian satellite TV channels plus other satellite channels keep you up to date with the outside world; if that is what you want? The room also had an in-room safe. Free water activities included kayaks and catamarans on the large lagoon which also had good calm, deep water for swimming. The lagoon water was clean. Check out the large red starfish. All staff were attentive, very polite, very patient and extremely helpful. The people of Vanuatu love to smile: happiness and friendliness seem to be national traits. Outside the resort there was lots to do for people of all ages. The resort it itself is only 5-10 min. from Port Vila: costs 500 vt by taxi & 150 vt by bus. You should know that this resort is popular with young families but we saw few other people except at peak meal times. We had easy and comfortable access to all activities and pools. We have had several resort, island holidays throughout the Pacific over the years and this rates as one of the best.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the kids water-sports pool might be noisy for couples so ask for the northern wing...
1 Thank Wanderering1
Good Afternoon Wanderering1

Thank you for the review.

Sounds like you had a great time and we will keep adding to the experiences ready for your next trip! One of the most common points of discussion here on resort is the difference in both the destination but also the fantastic Melanesian people and as you noted is starting to be a big difference over other South Pacific destinations.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Vanuatu in the near future and trust you are not being affected by the fires around Newcastle.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We arrived home last night after 7 amazing nights at the Holiday Inn. This was our first time to Vanuatu with our two boys 14 & 7.
The resort offered plenty of free activities such as kayaking, swimming, fire twirling show, kava tasting, hunters track, sailing, bocce, traditional dance and cooking and music - all which we participated in.
The buffet breakfast was unbelievable and covered everything possible. The staff always greeted us with warm friendly hellos and smiles. The atmosphere was extremely relaxing (even as a family resort). The resort was clean and staff always seemed to be working, maintaining the resort.
My main reason for writing a review was to especially mention Arsen from the Activities Team. Not sure if you realise but what an asset he is to your resort! We found him to exceptional with our boys. Always vibrant & friendly. He answered many questions, shared the culture, took them sailing, toured the hunters track, played innumerable games of bocce and made coconut boats. He has certainly left an impression on them as we even had a sad farewell. Thank you Holiday Inn for a memorable family holiday. We will be back and would highly recommend your resort!

• Stayed October 2013
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Good Afternoon Wheadons

Thank you for your 'Perfect' review.

I know Arsen will be slightly embarrassed when we share your comments with the team and he certainly leaves a lasting impression on you as do many of the team. Don't forget to keep an eye on our facebook page to see what else we have happening around the resort.

Look forward to welcoming you all back to the Resort and Vanuatu.

Mackay, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I decided to have a 'Babymoon' to Vanuatu before baby arrives (i'm 35 weeks!) and had an absolutely wonderful holiday. We stayed here for 5 nights and it was just fantastic. Was more than we expected.

The buffet was delicious and there was no much variety. Both for breakfast and dinner. We could not have asked for more.

The rooms were very comfortable, the daily clean was exceptional and although there may be a odd rough edge on the furniture it really doesn't take away from your holiday.

The lagoon was just beautiful and so lovely to swim in when you feel like a change from the pool. Looked like all the kids were having the best time ever. We used the catamaran's, kayaks and all activites equipment and just had heaps of fun.

Excellent value for money.

I must agree with the previous post regarding the pool bar staff, definitely didn't feel like they wanted to be there but the remaining staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Good Morning Faullyn

Thank you for your review and all the best in the coming weeks!

Sounds like you had a fairly active babymoon with the use of all the water sports activities and swimming in the Lagoon. Sorry to hear that the team in the pool bar weren't reflecting the same level of enthusiasm as the rest of the resort and we are certainly taking the feedback on-board.

Look forward to welcoming and the new addition back to Vanuatu in the near future.

Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just returned from an 8 night stay at Holiday Inn Vanuatu and thought we should get a review in whilst everything is fresh in our minds. Travelled as a family, looking for r&r (mum and dad anyway), sun, fun and good accommodation.

The Holiday Inn was a hit in may respects - and a miss with a few as well (shall get to those later). On the positive side:
The Room - we had a lagoon view room. It was clean and tidy, the beds were comfortable and the pillows fantastic!
Housekeeping - congratulations to the ladies responsible for this. They did a great job day in day out with a minimum of fuss. It was a pleasure to come back to our room at the end of a day out to find the room in such good order. I doubt they get to many accolades, so well done!
Activities Team - great group of guys. Always had a smile on their faces, said hello every time you walked past the hut and spent heaps of time entertaining the many kids in the resort
Breakfast Team - Much has been said in other reviews about the breakfast. It was good for sure, but not so good that I need to spend time raving about it.

On the negative side:
The Pool Bar - we were at the resort 8 nights, so we had a decent amount of time to assess. The guys in this area need a serious personality injection (maybe watch the activities guys for a while). You certainly don't get that tropical island, bar staff happily chatting away, smiling and tossing cocktails around feel. We really think management need to get these guys to spark up a little.

2.30am Call to Reception - 7 of our 8 nights were quiet as a church mouse once we were in bed for the night. Unfortunately 1 wasn't. The room next to us was making excessive noise at 2.30am. Our understanding was nobody was booked in said room. Guessing it was staff unwinding?? can't be sure but to the credit of those on duty, within minutes of our call being placed, security had resolved / removed the problem and not another word was heard.

The Pool Itself - was probably a little cool. This wasn't just our opinion....we spoke to other holidaymakers and got the same vibe from them.

Shall leave it there as I don't want readers to get the impression we had a negative experience as that most certainly wasn't the case! Our kids had an absolute ball, the grounds, the lagoon the views etc are all great.

Just 1 final tip - if you have girls and they insist upon hair braiding......get it done at kids club. They do a much better job than you get at the markets in town. We know this because our girls got their's done in town only to have them fall apart in a day or so. The kids club ladies did an awesome job!

1 Thank Smiggle11
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Good Morning Smiggle11

Thank you for the review.

Overall it sounds like you and the family had a great time and I know the housekeeping team will be be very giggling a lot when we read them your review but will also be very proud to have been acknowledged. Sorry to hear about being disturbed on one of the nights by some other guests within the resort and I can assure you that it wasn't any of the team. The pool bar team are almost mentioned as many times as the activities team in our guest feedback so this feedback is very surprising but we will certainly take it on-board to see if we need to make some changes.

Look forward to welcoming you all back to Vanuatu in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I just got back home from staying at this resort. I have to say that I didn't expect a Holiday Inn brand to be what I expected, in fact I expected much better. I used to have the perception that HI brands are cheap and low budget hotels. The resort offers an ample amount of free activities to choose from and it caters well for children. The lagoon is clean and nice to swim at, it is also teeming with fish life. The resort however offers limited dining choice as it only has one restaurant so it is best to spend about AU$6 for a taxi and head into town to dine.

The service received is great and the staff are always willing to help; even the managerial staff are out helping out front of house during busy periods. Even noticed Thomas Tat (The General Manager) help out at the Verandah Restaurant during the breakfast rush. We specially love the team at the Totel Kids Club, they were great at looking after our daughter. Special mention to Mariam and Selena who our daughter gotten to like and attached to at the Kids Club. Honourable mention to Kimberley Hassell for looking after our needs and organising the Romantic Dinner for our 10th year anniversary. The boys at the Activities Team are a bunch of awesome and fun blokes. I had one of them offered to take me back to our villa with the boat after swimming from our villa to the activities area.

During our visit at Vanuatu we accommodated one of the family beach front villas (403). This villa was a perfect home away from home for us. Our 2.5 years old daughter loves hanging out at the verandah looking out to the water and checking out the starfish and other fish life. The villa is very comfortable and very peaceful. The birds always make sure you are up and ready for a day ahead as you will hear them chirp away early in the morning (5AM on the dot to be exact). The villa has a nice and clean mini-beach that you could swim and for kids to play. The island where the villas are situated also has its own little private beach with hammock and deck chairs. It's a nice little spot away from everyone else, truly was my favourite spot in the property . We had free WiFi internet access with our stay in the villa however it was slow and unusable at times.

The villa was adequately maintained, the only issue we had was that the blinds were not screwed into the wall properly so we had to be careful opening and closing it. The wooden sliding door occasionally comes off the railings and sometimes can be a little hard to open. There was no door handle on the fly screen which made it hard to close and open. The room wasn't I expected it to be, the room is actually quite smaller and shorter than what is advertised in the Hi website and other HI publications. I would suggest HI change this picture on their publications as soon as possible as this is false advertising. The villa could do some improvement such as utilising the ceiling void by transforming the space into a mezzanine bedroom for kids. We found that the lounge area that doubles as our daughter's sleeping area very inconvenient, it was hard for us to utilise the space once our daughter was asleep. As it was mainly dry during our stay here, I would also recommend that HI invest a mini water tanker to wet the path once or twice daily as the path to the villa gets fairly dusty and dry.

The Pool Bar and in room dining menus offer very limited choices and extremely pricy. I had the BBQ Meat Lovers pizza and it contained a lot more corn and other vegetables than meat that it should have been named "Vegetable Lovers Pizza!!"

Overall, we enjoyed our stay in Holiday Inn Resort and it was a memorable one. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay a memorable and a comfortable one.

Thank you tomas!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Good Morning TobylDog

Thank you for the review and celebrating such a special occasion with us!

Great to see you had aenjoyable time with us and the Holiday Inn Resort brand is growing with several other Holiday Inn Resorts due to open within the region over the next couple of years. Some very good feedback on the Vila for us to work on and you will behappy to hear we have a complete menu change occurring next week and within the next 4 weeks our Pizza oven will operational at the pool bar. One of the benefits of Vanuatu over other South Pacific destinations is the accessibility to some fantastic dining options from the market house stalls to Restaurants with views out over the ocean the choice is yours.

Look forward to welcoming you back for your next celebration in the near future.