“Variety of food experiences”
Review of Navara Restaurant

Navara Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 88 Restaurants in Port Vila
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Our Guarantee is that "Everyone who leaves our establishment, does so with a new happy Coconut Palms memory".Since opening in 2005, Multi Award winning Coconut Palms Resort’s Head Chefs have been lucky to work with a variety of Chefs from around the world. Each have offered exciting contributions to our Menu utilising local wholesome ingredients. The result, is a wide array of culinary flavours and dish types from Vanuatu Steak, Fish & Lobster through to classical Italian gourmet. The Italian traditional selections include both pasta and pizza recipes that have been passed down for many generations. Also traditional, is our unique range of Vanuatu Tappa’s which is a world first for Vanuatu Dining. Already the subject of glossy international Magazine feature articles, the Menu glorifies traditional Melanesian recipes from around the island nation. All dishes use a base of Coconut milk and Navara, baby coconut. The dishes are purely traditional or completely new creations developed over a six month project that included outstanding local Vanuatu Chefs that concluded with the Tappa’s Blong Vanuatu launch on Jamie Oliver’s World Food Day.
Tasmania
“Variety of food experiences”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We ate at the Coconut Palms twice. The first was a Sunday night when the Reggae Band was playing - 2 solid hours of wonderful music followed by 1/2 hour display of Fire Dancing - all free! We ate Tapas (the Melanesian version!) and a pizza - all delicious - service was initially somewhat slow but it improved. We would highly recommend a visit on a Sunday evening from about 5pm.
The second occasion was the Tuesday for the Melanesian Feast - also excellent value for money with custom cooking, dancing and kava tasting. Our introduction to the food (entree) was cooked traditionally outside using fire-heated rocks with food wrapped in banana leaves and was superb. (We also went down and talked with the ladies while they prepared this course). The main course of the feast was buffet and prepared in the resort kitchens. While varied, tasty and we assume authentic - it lacked the full flavour of the food that was traditionally cooked. Still it was a great experience.

• Visited September 2012

Sydney, Australia
“The place to be on Saturday night”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Saturday night in Port Vila is best spent at Coconut Palms Resort - they put on a fire show that has it all. It's scary, it's amazing, it's unforgettable. Skipping ropes on fire, people drinking fuel and spitting fire, kids dancing with fire, you name it.

Before the show we had a dinner and it was nice and cheap. They had a whole list of differently sized lobsters to choose from, you could also decide if you wanted your lobster grilled or as a mornay. We also had veal wrapped in bacon, apple crepes and baked pineapple and everything was delicious. The staff too were very nice.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank hudbakanec
Sydney, Australia
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am usually a little sceptical of in-house restaurants - they have a captive audience and I would rather get out and see more of my detination than the resport. However, circumstances conspired to result in me eating a number of meals here, and I was pleasantly surprised!

The Tuesday night Melanesian feast was a great introduction to the culture of Vanuatu. Although I passed on the kava, I really enjoyed the kustom dancing. The traditional food was a bit of a mixed bag, although I think that reflected my Western tastes more than the quality of the food. Although I am not sure that ice cream was the most tradiationla choice of desert!

Trivia on Wednesday night was a great chance to meet people, especially the expats. The game was fun and the 1000Vt pasta (I had the gnocci) was yummy and great value!

I also tried the pizza here - good, although heavy on the cheese - as well as one of the chicken dishes, which was nice. Again, the food off the regular menu was good value.

Breakfasts were also included in my accomodation package - although I am not a big breakfast eater the thick toast went down well.

The only think I didn't love was, strangely enough, the chocolate cake - it had a funny taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

The service was generally pretty good - although it ran on island time it was always friendly. There was also no additional cost for room service which was great!

• Visited August 2012