“Tranquil and Romantic Dinner”
Review of Elan - CLOSED

Elan
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Elan is a unique dining experience in Vanuatu. A restaurant purpose built by the owners to offer elegant island style dining. The restaurant is situated on the beach overlooking beautiful aqua waters and enjoys the best sunsets in Port Vila. Elans fresh and authentic menus are inspired by the classics - French, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean and the flavors' of the Pacific. We pride ourselves on sourcing as much of the freshest locally grown produce as possible, including we believe and our customers agree the best free range grass fed beef in the world. Elan was chosen to host the only Royal Dinner for HRH Princess Anne's visit to Vanuatu in October 2014. Open: 5pm Wednesday to Saturdays.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tranquil and Romantic Dinner”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The ambience at Élan is delightful with a deck that overlooks the water for a romantic evening. The entire restaurant is open with a casual but elegant flair.

We started dinner off with the seafood chowder which was divine. I had the crab cakes and scallops while my husband had the fish wrapped in banana leaves. I would order the smaller of the crab cakes offered as my plate had 4 crab cakes which was too much food. The fish was delectable in both our meals. We found the bottles of wine to be appropriately priced and enjoyed a cab / merlot from Australia. Our waitress was very attentive without being over bearing. If in Vanuatu have dinner here.

• Visited September 2013

Canberra, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great food at what is arguably the best restaurant in Vanuatu and deserving of the Best Restaurant in 2012. The decor and atmosphere are superb and the menu consisted of modern cuisine blended with local organic produce. Only down-side is getting there as it is a bit out of the way and as others have commented bus drivers seem reluctant to go there or pretend that they don't know where it is.

• Visited September 2013
Greytown, New Zealand
“A beautiful restaurant”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Last night on the island and we had left this one to last. That was mainly because of the opening hours (Wed -Sat). Wasn't very busy but we had booked anyway which was 2 phone calls as the answer machine redirected us to another number. The food was delicious and the wine was OK. Only niggle was I ordered the paella and didn't see that the rice was optional, maybe the waitress could have pointed that out. My wife eventually got her Lobster here after being disapointed at other restaurants. The owners were at the next table and were very nice people, full of tales about Vanuata and its people, but also gave us privicy to eat and have our own conversation when we wanted and when eating. The setting is right on the water and although we went at night I could see that it would be a wonderful place to watch the sun go down. The owner treatedus to a round of Pot when waiting for our taxi. The taxi ride to here was 1500VY rom the Holiday inn. Again like every restaurant in Vanuatu it was expensive which is down to the huge import duties levied by the government.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Rob H
Brisbane
“Couldnt have been more enjoyable.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had our anniversary dinner there. It was great in terms of the quality of food, the location was very romantic next to the water and the service was good and delivered with a lovely smile. Not sure what they could have done better.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Terryd59
Erskine Park
“Leisurely Dining”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Like all things on Efate, nothing is done in a hurry, and dining at Élan, is the same. We arrived around 6:00, and there was 12 of us. We did book and found that instead of a table seating 12, there were 2 tables seating 6 at each. When it was pointed out that there would be 12 dining, the waitress suggested moving tables to accommodate. I think that if you make a booking for 12, then it would suggest that all 12 would like to sit at one table. I would also think, that a restaurant like Élan, that sets itself as a Top restaurant in Vila, would have a menu to reflect that status, not a series of photocopied Menu's and Wine/Drink Lists held together with bulldog clips. The décor was suitable for it's location, on the bay. Wooden floors and older style fan shaped fans, suited the location. No railing on the verandah was a cause for concern, particularly as if you went over, the foundations of what I believe to be an extension waiting for you, or possibly the water at high tide. And hang on to any children, as they could be the first to go over.
The food was crisp and fresh, and the Crab cakes with the Scallop (real not potato), was really good. I also had the Beef Wellington was also great. We selected a red from the Barossa to compliment the food, and it lived up to the food.
The experience lasted around 3 hours, and whilst enjoyable, I have listed the issues that I saw. I also saw the person whom I suspected to be the owner, behind the bar, on two occasions, drinking beer from a glass. Hardly what I would expect from a restaurant that is trying to be on of the Top places in Vila.

• Visited August 2013
Elan R, Owner at Elan, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
In response to your review.

We put two tables of six as we felt this would mean you could talk to each other easily. As soon as you stated you wanted one long table it was fixed. I did note that none of your group spoke to each other from one end of the table to the other!
Our menu is updated regularly and printed at this stage on paper, we have never had a complaint about this!
There is no railing on the verandah as this would spoil the outlook and stop the cool flow through of air needed in this climate. There is only a very small drop off onto the sandy beach.
It is not illegal in this Country to have a cold beer in my own restaurant!