“Big Blue rocks the water” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Blue Scuba Diving

Big Blue Scuba Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Blue Scuba teach more people to dive than anyone else in Vanuatu. We have local instructors and dive masters with great local knowledge. They love to share their dive sites with divers of all levels and experience, with multiple boats and dive sites we can cater to all.
Bathurst, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Big Blue rocks the water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Great dive company. Very professional, safety always at the forefront of their mind with an excellent selection of dives including night! Recommend!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank MissLeahM

Cairns
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Awesome diving with the Big Blue team!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend and I spent time with Mike, Maggie and the team back in 2007 diving their beautiful sites with their awesome team. They are highly professional, fun and safety conscious which makes one feel at ease when underwater! We'd highly recommend them for first time, and experienced divers, and can't wait to come back and visit again one day!

Visited October 2011
Dunedin, New Zealand
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent friendly team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I am a certified diver and chose to dive with Big Blue partly because of the good reviews from this site, and also because they did a free pool dive at our resort, which I used as a refresher, not having dived for 2 years - it was great to be able to do that. I dealt mainly with Tony (manager?) who was fantastically friendly, patient and approachable. I briefly met Maggie and Mike (owners?) who were also very friendly.

The crew (mainly locals and an Australian girl the days I went out) were fun and friendly. At times I had a little concern about the professionalism of one local employee, who "interacted" with the marine life more than PADI would ever be happy with, and who failed to pick me up from my resort and then lied about it. (I was very happy to later receive a genuine apology from Tony who had got to the bottom of the mystery. I wasn't worried in the slightest when my pick up was late - it's all "island time" anyway - but I WAS rather upset to be initially told that I had either lied about being at the pick up point on time, or, I was so stupid that I missed the sign-written truck when it arrived! But Tony was clearly genuine in the apology so all was forgiven!!)

We were particularly impressed with Tony who remembered us by name after just the first day, made us feel confident and safe and took his time to explain what was going on, give me photos on CD and give me first aid for a small coral cut on my hand (those pesky clown fish are quite aggressive you know!). My husband did his first ever "discover scuba dive" and was a little nervous. It was really good to be told that he should just give it a go and if he aborted the dive because he didn't like it, there would be no charge. (He didn't abort the dive, he loved it!)

The dive sites are great of course and all the ones I did were within about 7 minutes boat ride from base, which is good. The crew provide fruit after the dive and take care of your gear if that's what you want.

My only disappointment really was that as a fairly experienced diver, I was made to ascend long before I wanted or needed to. On one dive I still had 95 bar of air left and on another 80 bar! On all my other dive trips I've been able to stay under until I've had 50 bar or less and I really got quite a shock to find my buddy insisting that I ascend when I still had half a tank of air!!! I could have gone another 30 minutes down there and felt a bit miffed that I was cut short. The other divers on both those trips were beginners and of course they go through air much more quickly, but I would have expected that I could have stayed down longer, given I did have my own buddy. If you're an experienced diver, I suggest you discuss with the crew beforehand the fact that you anticipate you will have plenty of air to stay down for 50 minutes or whatever and make sure they agree that's what you'll be doing.

All in all, a fantastic dive experience with professional, friendly and experienced divers.

You can pay in cash with vatu or Australian dollars. Credit card payments have a 4% surcharge.

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great service, flexibility and friendliness.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

After initially booking in with another dive operator, we changed to Big Blue after arriving in Vanuatu.
The first place we booked in with wouldn't pick us up as we were staying on the Pango Peninsula - a 30 min bumpy drive from Port Vila or 5 min by boat. Big Blue was happy for us to swim off our beachfront to their waiting dive boat and drop us off the same way. Not only was it was fun to swim out from shore to the boat, it was very convenient and saved us travel time and taxi/bus money to and fro! There was a nearby resort with a pier (Paradise Cove) which we could have pre-arranged permission to use for easier pick up/drop off, but we preferred swimming out to the deeper water.
After an initial visit to their shop front in town, we pre-arranged hire gear and dive times by email and SMS texts. Tony was responsive and customer-service orientated.
Their dive times were very civilised - not too early - 8.30am start for the twin morning dives and 1.15pm for the single afternoon dive.
The dive sites were okay - the weather was overcast and rainy so visibility wasn't the greatest. A recent cyclone, crown-of-thorns starfish and 'fish stealing' for the aquarium trade are impacting the marine life in the Port Vila area. I'm sure there are some superb dive sites to explore but we didn't get to them this time. So compared to other diving locations I've been such as The Phillippines and Borneo, the live coral and fish abundance was less than I anticipated.
The dive boat was mostly uncovered, so make sure you've got a hat/sunscreen. They provide some basic food/drink - a thermos of coffee to share and a plate of fresh fruit. You might want to remember your water bottle.
The guides/driver were very pleasant and attentive. The hire gear was in good, near-new condition. Safety seemed okay as far as I could see. They had a sign in sheet post-dive and the guides built/checked/stripped your hire gear before and after dives, but if you were very experienced, they left it up to you (e.g. me - 35 dives: they did my hire gear for me; dive buddy - 700+ dives: they let him do his own hire gear).
I would dive with Big Blue again and happily recommend them.

Visited July 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“reputation well foundered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

On a recent trip to vanuatu we choose these guys for our diving trip based on their trip advisor writeup. As the title says the day we had was great altough the weather wasnt the best. Fabrice and Max our dive masters were very attentive without being over bearing, The diving was brilliant - even saw a turtle. My wife snorkelled with Krystal and that was also a great experinece. We had two dives and were back on shore around 1pm. it was helpful to have an group of experienced divers. Total cost around $14000v including all gear hire

Visited July 2012