“Great snorkelling” 4 of 5 bubbles

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great snorkelling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Peter took us to some great spots to snorkel, different fish every place we visited. Saw dolphins and turtles also. Unfortunately food served was average no drink (not even water) was offered with lunch. On sailing back we were offered a beer and then we're astounded to be charged for it as we got out of our transport, especially after paying around $120 charging us a measly few dollars for a drink was a disgrace. Not great people skills were exhibited look for another charter is my recommendation. We have done similar trips in Thailand and Langkawi so we were not novices and weren't happy with the service received.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank 51Gail
PietrosW, Owner at Sailaway Cruises, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
It may be confusing for Trip Advisor readers to understand why one review on our Day Cruise can be very positive and one a couple of days earlier or later can be over-the-top negative. It could be that an unexpected tropical downpour puts a person outside their comfort-zone. Not so this time. It was a beautiful day in the UNESCO World Heritage Site area that we sail into.

Occasionally a Reviewer with a critical nature, who fancies herself as a travel writer, has an unusual experience which brings out personality problems and in her frustration, she attacks in a cowardly way, via a social media platform like T.A. which encourages such stimulating Reviews, even when the premise for the attack is falsified and the real reason for her discomfort is not readily apparent.

So, why was this woman so vitriolic? She didn't mix with the others on board.
The only conversation I had with her was that she was worried about a couple of vivacious younger women were likely to be spying on her if she went to the bathroom. When I explained this was unlikely and impossible anyway, as the bathroom has reflective tinted glass such that people on deck cannot look in, although she inside can look out. (similar to cars with tinted windows). I think she would have liked me to make these other women disappear, as they were unknowingly upsetting her with their zest for life and thoroughly enjoying the day out.
Anyway, knives were drawn at that point and I daresay she was already plotting to cause mischief. Due to her irrational fears, the poor woman couldn't find water, nor pass water (unless she went for a swim).

So, lets look at what she eventually brought up in her Review to slam the Cruise.

1. No water on board ? There is always plenty of water on board and cold water is brought out daily, in our ice-box, from the Town water supply which is tested similarly to Sydney Water, so very safe to drink. In the tropics you try to keep the water as cool as possible in the icebox in the Galley. It takes but 4 words , *Do you have water?* and the obliging crew will show you where the water and cups are. Maybe she had an irrational fear of talking to black crewmen, as well as the paranoid fear of people spying on her?.

2. Lunch not to her liking? Most people really enjoy our healthy lunch, loaded with protein and anti-oxidant veges. It is a self-serve of sliced corned beef, salami, eggs and an assortment of fresh salads including tomatoes, lettuce, onions & beetroot; a vegetable mix of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage and beans; a pawpaw & banana curry; French bread and cheese. If you were anticipating fatty sausages on the BBQ, then you might be disappointed.

3. Beers for free? Most of our guests are Aussies & Kiwis and they don't expect beers or soft drinks to be free. We pass them on at Supermarket prices, as a service for those who enjoy a beer at the end of day.
Offering free beers would just entice a bunch of drunks to come on board and we are not catering to that market.

4. Fudging Cruise price to validate the Rave.
F.Y.I. Our full day Cruise price is 10,000 Vatu per adult; 3/4 price for teens 13-17; 1/2 price for children 6-12; and infants free. At mid-June 2014 exchange rates, this equates to adults at USD111; AUD114; NZD126.
Other large boats doing full day cruises charge more than we do. Port Vila is a more expensive town to operate in than similar ones in Bali, Thailand or Vietnam. So, our price is more than fair. It's cheap, for the expenses we have.

5. the Kapitan was a waste of space
She was partially right here. I am somewhat reserved by nature, but enjoy chatting with guests to find out what is happening in the outside world and pass on info from the 30 odd years I have sailed around Vanuatu.
However, mid-June I was hit by a 5 day Flu which circulated Port Vila. Although not contagious, I did avoid close quarters conversations with guests to avoid passing my cough onto others. Some people were sensitive to this; others probably thought I was just being aloof. This woman saw it as another negative in which to try to bully, using her pen as a sword. That's life !

On the basis of this woman's Review, I'd be cautious about her motives in Reviewing other Hotels, Restaurants or Tours. Intelligent people can read between the lines, but the Sheeple can't and are put off by the slightest negative.

Cheers, Peter @ Sailaway Cruises.

Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great tour highly recommened”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Excellent trip , great snorkeling, Food was lovely. The lady guide was awesome . we got to release a turtle that we named. Defiantly recommend.Feed fish on the trip back

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sandy M
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Must do if you're in Vanuatu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

The missus and I did this on our anniversary trip to Vanuatu. Best money spent on the holiday, without a doubt.The water was beautiful, the sail was smooth. Wonderful crew and a great set of fellow tourists made this a memorable trip. Pick-up and drop-off at the hotel make this a no-brainer if you're looking for things to do. HIGHLY recommended.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank BobMarleyshotme
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

A day trip on the Golden wing was absolutely fantastic. Peter was very helpful and accommodating and took us to some amazing reefs. My friends and I have been here for a month and this is far and away the best thing we've done! If you do one thing in vanuatu, let this be it - you won't regret it~!

Visited November 2013
Orange
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“If you do one thing, do this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It is the best tour on the island bar none. I have been four times over 20 years and it is amazing, peter is excellent. The boat maybe be aging but the experience is 5 stars. You see real coral unspoiled by the dreaded tourist! A wonderful day out.... Real sailing and amazing snorkelling!

Visited October 2013