My wife and I stayed for a week at Breakas for our wedding September 2012. When we arrived a number of us were greeted in the foyer by the owner, George, who was covered in sweat and looked quite flustered, but appeared to genuinely care about whether we knew where everything was, the activities, and the best way to get to town and back. The entrance and foyer is just spectacular and was a welcome start to the week. The pool, the restaurant and the open-air couch area is bare metres from the white sand and crystal blue water and the sight of it all put us into such a relaxed mood. The bungalows are skirted by beautiful tropical gardens divided by sand pathways that are shaded by tall palm trees. The staff constantly raked the sand to keep it nice, and swept the sand from the steps...everything was always so pristine and natural-looking.
A sore point for us was how little any of the staff cared that we were getting married there in just 2 days....we were put in bungalow 104 which is literally 5 footsteps from the bar and restaurant , and my request to move to anywhere that was further away for the wedding was met with a casual and indifferent 'no'. At night time and again at 530am the noise of the pool table, staff laughing and talking, even the clink of utensils and grinding of table legs kept us awake (the bungalows are open-air so you cant "sound-lock" yourselves into the room).
The staff got better, and the food was beyond good, albeit the same price as Sydney restaurants. The Ni-Vanuatu people (the locals) were incredibly friendly and seemed permanently relaxed and happy 24/7 in all situations........Perhaps too relaxed sometimes, as cocktail orders were often forgotten-about (occasionally there were small queues of disgruntled people at the bar), a couple of food orders took more than an hour to appear, and requests to check on the delayed drinks and food were met with more casual indifference and sometimes no result. For basic requests like putting tables together though....the staff leapt into the task with vigor and would often put them together in anticipation of our meal.
In terms of the ocean, the coral is mostly dead due to the tsunami a few years ago but there are patches of regrowth and the fish life is still there. If you snorkel swim all the way out to the reef wall (dont do it during the rip-tide!) there is a bit more fish and some coral. However, the water is waist deep all the way to the wall so its incredibly relaxing to just sit in the warm water and contemplate.
Thankyou to the staff for granting my request to put flowers and tea-lights in our room on the wedding night, it was quite magical. And a big thankyou to Manu our local driver who took us everywhere at any hour (he is a legend and his van is the only modern one we saw! please ask for him at the desk!! His number is 5974092).
Overall the resort is spectacular...just dont stay in bungalow 104 or 103.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amidst swaying palms fringed on it's own private beach, Breakas Beach Resort is an intimate 3.5 Star tropical resort in a 5 star location for adults only welcoming guests over the age of 15 years. Enhanced by individual garden & beachfront Fares (Bungalows), Breakas Beach Resort is the ultimate relaxed "feet in the sand" beach holiday. Slip into a world of tranquility. The Resort features a stunning 22 metre infinity pool which falls into the horizon of the Pacific Ocean. The natural beauty of a private cove on the Pango peninsular provides an unrivalled backdrop in Port Vila. Fares (Bungalows) are scattered along the shoreline and throughout manicured tropical gardens ensuring privacy, intimacy and seclusion. With spectacular views to Port Vila's best surfing beach break, the restaurant provides a unique setting for a unique dining experience. The executive chef has created one of the finest menus using fresh, local produce, seafoods and world class Santo beef and we are famous for our beachside dining with stars above and sand underfoot.... It does not get much better than this. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu Hotel Port Vila
- Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu Port Vila