“AMAZING FOOD AMAZING VIEW”

Tamanu on the Beach
Ranked #14 of 95 Restaurants in Port Vila
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With our truly breathtaking absolute beach front location , our fine dining, yet casually relaxed restaurant, is considered to be the best in Vanuatu and is renowned for its pavilion styled, open-air al fresco dining. We also offer our chapel for larger groups. Tamanu on the Beach's restaurant has earned a highly respected international reputation for delivering the most distinctive dining experience, featuring local organic meat, indigenous produce and the freshest of seafood. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner for guests and visitors, our restaurant offers quality dining at affordable prices. Bookings are recommended.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My partner and I spent 10 days in Vanuatu. On our second last day we went to Tamanu on the Beach to see what all the expats were talking about. Well we wish we discovered this place earlier. We had the best food by far on our tip. I had the local poulet fish and my partner had the beef with local farmed prawns. We really wanted to taste the desserts so we decided to go for a swim in the ocean pool to help our mains go down. Two hours later and after drinking the best caprioskas we wandered back to the restuarnt and enjoyed a great crepe suzzete each... very French and yummy. Our only regret is that we didn't come sooner to Tamanu as we wanted to try otehr meals on the menu. The staff were excellent and the the resort manager rachael was really lovely. Well don guys the palce is amazing and we will be back

1  Thank FASTPETE328

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Beachfront restaurant was beautiful. The food was delicious, service was very professional, friendly staff and an amazing location! Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The restaurant is nicely located with a view to the beach. The meals were overpriced and the standard was average, the service was good though.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I'm going to preface this review with saying that I've only given Tamanu a 3 because the manager (Rachael) went out of their way to apologise to us for the experience we had - giving us a refund on our transfer and a bottle of bubbles (visiting our resort personally the next day to leave these, with a letter, at reception for us).

After reading all the reviews here I really wanted to go to Tamanu, so much so that even though it was raining heavily and my partner wasn't overly keen I just had to try it. It was also our 16 year anniversary so eating at the number one restaurant in Efate sounded like a must do.

We should have known when our driver was over 45 minutes late in picking us up from our resort (about a 30 min drive in the rain and on the bumpy roads) that the night would not pan out as we'd hoped.

When we finally got there - there was just one guy looking after the tables - which in itself isn't a problem and he was actually fantastic - we never felt a lack of service and he managed the tables exceptionally well. But the restaurant was only half full so we were a bit surprised considering its number 1 position but thought it was down to the weather.

My partner's carpaccio entree was good but anything cooked ranged from bad to average. Everything I ate was bland, from the bread roll (petty I know) to the garlic prawns I had as an entree, to my beef curry main. I ate three pieces of beef before just giving up. My partner's steak was burnt and tasteless. We just couldn't wait to get out of there so didn't even bother with dessert.

We came with another couple from our resort and they only confirmed our experience. They sent their meals back. We probably should have but I honestly felt sorry for the one guy looking after the place - he seemed absolutely run off his feet and had already had negative feedback on the food.

We did ask, when reluctantly paying, if there was a different chef on tonight (I just couldn't believe trip advisor had been so wrong) and he did say that their head chef had the night off. It was the most expensive meal we've had in Vanuatu and one of the worst meals I've ever had (anywhere).

It is for that reason (that the main chef wasn't on), and the fact that Rachael made such an effort the next day that I've given this a three. However, I would hope that a good restaurant doesn't always need the head chef there to make sure the food is up to scratch.

Personally, I won't visit Tamanu again, unless the circumstances were very exceptional - once was more than enough for us. Hopefully this was just a one off and your experience is better.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stopped for lunch & the food was superb! Seafood lasagne was to die for! Right next to sandy white beach with beautiful ocean view!