“Tropicana Lagoon Resort - PARADISE”

Tropicana Lagoon Apartments Resort
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Brisbane, Australia
“Tropicana Lagoon Resort - PARADISE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

What an opportunity.. we went there, about 40 people in all.. 8 days of pure sun, sand, swimming, eating, kyaking, snorkelling, chilling out and having fun.

10 Minutes from town.. (about $1.50) in a bus that will take you anywhere!
closeby are wonderous finds such as markets, shopping, lagoons, beaches, parasailing, flying foxes, quad bikes and so much more.

The staff were excellent and everything you could ever want, they are happy to help out.
Food was awesome.. didnt eat out only on wedding night, and melanesian nights.
Breakfast and lunch.. wonderful.. dinner.. divine.

A big thank you to Cal, Yorik and staff for a memorable time.

Looking forward to seeing you again in June :)

Me likum yu (I love you)

Room Tip: Every room has an awesome lookout of the lagoon.. and pool.. no road noise, no phones.. PEACE
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DKubel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was looking for a tropical, relaxing, dreamy holiday and that is exactly what I got!! Tropicana was an a great self contained bungalow and my room opened right out onto the private beach and lagoon.

Despite having a kitchen and bar-b-q and thinking I may use it. The only real use it got was in the fridge keeping the wine and raspberries from the market cold. The food at the restaurant was so delicious it was hard to want to go anywhere else!

Couple of minor downsides. The beautiful flowers laid in the bathroom bought a flurry of little ants and the shower went hot and cold but in the scheme of the experience they were so minor that they really lent to the overall tropical feel at the end of the day. A little bug spray and the heat meant a cooler shower wasn't uncomfortable. Oh yes the tv scrambled sometimes but I agree with other reviews if you are going to Vanuatu to watch TV then Tropicana is the wrong hotel for you. On the upside free wi-fi which a lot of other hotels do not offer in rooms. An adorable salt water pool to dip into to clean the day out off. Free use of kayaks. The local kids on the other side of the lagoon, playing, swing off ropes, fishing and laughing. Seriously those kids show you what fun is outside of the tv!!!

The staff were amazing. They helped me book all my tours. If you wanted to eat in your room it was never too much trouble. The views from the room, the restaurant over the water, the easy 10 min bus ride to town, the evening sunset boat trip round the lagoon and Calvin's warm and helpful manner made my stay all I wanted it to be and so much more!

All this island love led to it being nothing out of the ordinary to chat with the other guests and if I did end up eating alone (I was travelling by myself) then often the staff would come have a chat with me. A lovely family from Melbourne adopted me (Hi Kat, Declan, Alex & Charlie!!! :)) and it was nice to find out what everyone did that day and whether it was worthwhile trying out yourself!

The food was incredible and whilst I tried a couple of lunches elsewhere it was just too hard to pass up the fabulous food! The seafood basket, the steak, the DEVINE! Chocolate mousse and all so reasonable!!! $20 for a superb organic steak that cost twice as much in town. No.preparation or clean up for me methinks that's a bargain! Fresh organic fruit and toast with jam and coffee in the morning (a cooked breakfast available for a cost). I was so enamoured with the bananas and paw paw and mango and I had to keep asking them to half the toast because they bought too much I never managed to try the eggs. I did see others try it and it looked as amazing as everything else!

It's not hard to figure out by the reviews and pictures (which are exactly as they seem) what kind of holiday the Tropicana can offer you. It's bungalow style accommodation with fantastic food, views and staff. I did get caught up in the cancelled flight debacle but that had nothing to do with the Tropicana that's another review for Air Vanuatu.

Thank you to Calvin, all the wonderful staff from reception to the kitchen to the lady who cleaned my room every day and the man who raked the beach everyday and to all the lovely guests I managed to share a day, a meal or a conversation with! Thank you for making this a holiday I will remember for years to come. Tank u tumas!!! (I hope I spelt it right) :)

Room Tip: I thought I wanted a room with a balcony but when I got a downstairs room that opened onto the lagoo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nicole V
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

wow what an amazing time we spent at the tropicana resort, so peaceful clean and quite with amazing views of the village life across the lagoon real culture of vanuatu with out even going looking for it, i found all the staff to very happy smile and always helpful and keen to please, my holiday was one to remember,i would highly recommend this resort to any one and i also look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was lucky enough to be posted to work in Vanuatu for 18 months in 2011-12 and even luckier to be living in a two bedroom apartment at Tropicana right on Second Lagoon - only 5-10 minutes bus ride to town and most attractions. The apartment was spacious with an idyllic outlook - palm trees, swimming pool and lagoon all only metres away. Friendly staff spoilt me rotten- they became more like family to me. During my stay I saw lots of innovations and improvements - most significant was the restaurant - great chefs and simply delightful food at reasonable prices with nice selection of wines. Just great when you can't be bothered cooking or heading out. Ask about the two course special for early birds - great value!
I would highly recommend Tropicana as either a short term holiday stay or longer term rental as well. There are 2 bedroom apartments like I had or new villas opening soon I think as well as studio apartments. Loved the place and the people and hope you do too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Barbara H
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We really enjoyed the stay and the room was nice and tidy. We had a room with Lagoon view and it was truly magical. However we were surprised when we were charged extra on top of what we paid online for the air condition (1200 vatu per day).
The location is bit far from Port Villa city centre .But catching a bus to city centre is cheap and easy.
Food was good but bit expensive but nice. Highly recommend the Eye fillet stake.
The best thing about tropicana was its friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was through TripAdvisor that I first stumbled across Tropicana. Reading the TripAdvisor reviews influenced my decision in staying there and I was not disappointed! ......Like Kathryn E I am quite perplexed about the couple of recent negative reviews because my experience was absolutely amazing and the total opposite to those of a couple others.

The resort is small and boutique in nature. Travelling by myself I was also looking for an environment which offered a level of security. Tropicana has 24/7 security on site which, for me, provided additional piece of mind. The room I stayed in was clean and well equipped. Sure, every now again the TV scrambled (as indicated in one of the more negative reviews), however to be honest and for me I was there on holidays..... I wasn't staying at Tropicana to just watch TV!!! It didn't spoil my experience.

What I love about the place is that it has a small private beach area overlooking a lagoon. In fact my room overlooked the beach/lagoon and it was an absolute delight waking up each morning and looking out at that view! It was stunning and quite breathtaking.....There is a local village across the lagoon. The village kids are often splashing in the water and having a wow of a time! Hearing them laugh and having fun always brought a smile to my face. On Sundays you are guaranteed to hear wafting across the lagoon with the local villagers singing and playing music. Absolutely beautiful!

The food at the restaurant is excellent and in comparison to other resorts/restuarants around the area it is exceptionally well priced! The Eye Fillet is excellent; as is the Lobster Special. The continental breakfast (comprising coffee, toast and fruit) for me was fulfilling and satisfying (given the heat I found I was not as hungry). If you want some more toast/fruit/coffee all you have to do is ask! The restaurant staff are more that accommodating and love a good chat! With the restaurant overlooking the lagoon there is always something to look at; whether it is the night lights reflecting on the water or looking at the fish/star fish in the water during the day. The outlook is just stunning and very relaxing and peaceful......

Tropicana have recently acquired a boat and have started to offer sunset lagoon cruises. Watching the sunset on the lagoon was breathtaking and I have some fantastic photos! I was on the same cruise as Sam A and Bea and concur it was a great way to meet and mingle over a couple of drinks (and yes ..... a couple more drinks!). It was a lot of fun and I have some exceptionally fond memories of that evening which will remain with me always!

The team at Tropicana bent over backwards to ensure my experience was a great one. At one stage I was trying to open the store room to borrow a pair of reef shoes and the door was locked. The maintenance guy stopped what he was doing to help me out and went looking for the storeroom key. In my mind he went over and above his specific job description. I think this example sums up all of the Tropicana Team - nothing is too much trouble and they are always so friendly and cheerful.

I have read many reviews which speak of Calvin's (the resort manager) customer service ethos and I absolutely echo these sentiments. Calvin, with his hands on approach and mindset, is very approachable and is keen to ensure that all Tropicana guests are happy and that the level of service meets expectations. You can often find him walking around and chatting to the guests (who he knows by name)..... I always welcomed the chats.... With his local knowledge (and knowledge of the island as a whole) Calvin can offer some great suggestions on what to do in the time that you have available. I had an amazing afternoon on one day based on Calvin's recommendation to visit Port Havvannah. As flagged in some other reviews Calvin is relocating to a new resort and I only hope that the service and personable qualities which Calvin has brought to Tropicana are maintained and continue to flourish.

Overall I rate my experience at Tropicana as excellent. It was a special experience and I have some very fond memories of my stay. I have no hesitation in recommending the resort.

Room Tip: The deluxe studio rooms overlooking the lagoon beach are breathtaking
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jackie_Sydney2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were guided to the Tropicana by a host of positive online reviews and were not dissapointed. This was our first visit to Vanuatu and the Topicana's staff and management ensured that we and our two boys, aged 7 and 10, had a great family holiday. The resort is close to town, the apartments are well equipped and presented, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful we've ever met on our travels and the manager, Calvin, went to great lengths to help us make the most of our 10 day break. Special mention must go to the restaurant where we enjoyed the best eye fillet steak in the southern hemisphere and to our driver, William, who guided memorable day trips around the island.We are puzzled by some recent negative comment as it is completely at odds with our experience. We have no hesitation recommending the Tropicana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family