“Stunning!”

Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“Stunning!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was through TripAdvisor that I first stumbled across Tropicana. Reading the TripAdvisor reviews influenced my decision in staying there and I was not disappointed! ......Like Kathryn E I am quite perplexed about the couple of recent negative reviews because my experience was absolutely amazing and the total opposite to those of a couple others.

The resort is small and boutique in nature. Travelling by myself I was also looking for an environment which offered a level of security. Tropicana has 24/7 security on site which, for me, provided additional piece of mind. The room I stayed in was clean and well equipped. Sure, every now again the TV scrambled (as indicated in one of the more negative reviews), however to be honest and for me I was there on holidays..... I wasn't staying at Tropicana to just watch TV!!! It didn't spoil my experience.

What I love about the place is that it has a small private beach area overlooking a lagoon. In fact my room overlooked the beach/lagoon and it was an absolute delight waking up each morning and looking out at that view! It was stunning and quite breathtaking.....There is a local village across the lagoon. The village kids are often splashing in the water and having a wow of a time! Hearing them laugh and having fun always brought a smile to my face. On Sundays you are guaranteed to hear wafting across the lagoon with the local villagers singing and playing music. Absolutely beautiful!

The food at the restaurant is excellent and in comparison to other resorts/restuarants around the area it is exceptionally well priced! The Eye Fillet is excellent; as is the Lobster Special. The continental breakfast (comprising coffee, toast and fruit) for me was fulfilling and satisfying (given the heat I found I was not as hungry). If you want some more toast/fruit/coffee all you have to do is ask! The restaurant staff are more that accommodating and love a good chat! With the restaurant overlooking the lagoon there is always something to look at; whether it is the night lights reflecting on the water or looking at the fish/star fish in the water during the day. The outlook is just stunning and very relaxing and peaceful......

Tropicana have recently acquired a boat and have started to offer sunset lagoon cruises. Watching the sunset on the lagoon was breathtaking and I have some fantastic photos! I was on the same cruise as Sam A and Bea and concur it was a great way to meet and mingle over a couple of drinks (and yes ..... a couple more drinks!). It was a lot of fun and I have some exceptionally fond memories of that evening which will remain with me always!

The team at Tropicana bent over backwards to ensure my experience was a great one. At one stage I was trying to open the store room to borrow a pair of reef shoes and the door was locked. The maintenance guy stopped what he was doing to help me out and went looking for the storeroom key. In my mind he went over and above his specific job description. I think this example sums up all of the Tropicana Team - nothing is too much trouble and they are always so friendly and cheerful.

I have read many reviews which speak of Calvin's (the resort manager) customer service ethos and I absolutely echo these sentiments. Calvin, with his hands on approach and mindset, is very approachable and is keen to ensure that all Tropicana guests are happy and that the level of service meets expectations. You can often find him walking around and chatting to the guests (who he knows by name)..... I always welcomed the chats.... With his local knowledge (and knowledge of the island as a whole) Calvin can offer some great suggestions on what to do in the time that you have available. I had an amazing afternoon on one day based on Calvin's recommendation to visit Port Havvannah. As flagged in some other reviews Calvin is relocating to a new resort and I only hope that the service and personable qualities which Calvin has brought to Tropicana are maintained and continue to flourish.

Overall I rate my experience at Tropicana as excellent. It was a special experience and I have some very fond memories of my stay. I have no hesitation in recommending the resort.

Room Tip: The deluxe studio rooms overlooking the lagoon beach are breathtaking
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jackie_Sydney2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were guided to the Tropicana by a host of positive online reviews and were not dissapointed. This was our first visit to Vanuatu and the Topicana's staff and management ensured that we and our two boys, aged 7 and 10, had a great family holiday. The resort is close to town, the apartments are well equipped and presented, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful we've ever met on our travels and the manager, Calvin, went to great lengths to help us make the most of our 10 day break. Special mention must go to the restaurant where we enjoyed the best eye fillet steak in the southern hemisphere and to our driver, William, who guided memorable day trips around the island.We are puzzled by some recent negative comment as it is completely at odds with our experience. We have no hesitation recommending the Tropicana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Port Vila Vanuatu
Reviewed January 24, 2013

i arrived late in the evening after a flight was delayed. was feeling hungry, calvin rang ahead and there for me waiting was EVERYTHING I Had ordered and then some. the food was fantastic which was true for the entire stay, had the best fluffy scrambled i had ever had. morning coffee was excellent and infact all my meals were solid. i did particularily enjoy the chicken fettucini and the lobster tails as well. staff were great and they simply could not do enough to make my stay an enjoyable one. what a location on the lagoon like that and so peaceful i will surely be back.. thanks tropicana keep up the good work.

Room Tip: just ask them for what you want
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tultabah
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

What can we say about our stay in tropicana resort???

Excellent excellent excellent.

We found the resort very relaxing, while being small and intimate. The location very quiet and a only short bus trip into town. The apartment is neat and tidy and view from the balcony is awesome. The staff are very friendly and helpful at all times. We arrived at the resort around midnight and there was a security guard to greet us with our key and help with our luggage.

The restaurant is over looking the lagoon which creates and relaxing atmosphere and the pricing for a meals are very reasonable compared to other restuarants in the area. The lagoon itself is very beautiful and it was perfect to kayak along while you say hello to the local kids while they play in the water.

The manager (calvin) could not do more for us, our flights were cancelled and he rang the airlines on our behalf to see when our next flights were avaliable. With the delay of our flights he also allowed us to stay in our apartment until around 9pm for no extra cost. He also took us on sunset cruise along the lagoon which we had a few drinks and enjoyed the company of other guests.(a great evening even though we felt it the next day).

Thank you tropicana for making a holiday even more enjoyable

Sam and Bea (perth OZ)

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam A
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked in October - Only to arrive and be greeted by the manager to tell us that they did not have their other apartments ready and he had found us other accommodation?? and lied to our travel agent stating we were not happy with our room???
The following day we actually were able to enter what we paid for and it was perfect just what we wanted, the local children across the lagoon are amazing and so so happy.
Although it is NOT 4.5 half star it is probably a 3* as you only get extras on the 1st night and then your forgotten. No extra towels or service -
Apparently talking to locals the mishap was known 6 weeks ago???
I would totally recommend the Melanesian Hotel where our daughter stayed or the Holiday Inn
or The Hub the Owners are Genuine and so hospital.
My Experience was something like today tonight, and the further i dug the more i found out - it was not just the managers fault it was the owners fault who knew that they accepted accommodation bookings that was not available?? Our daughter whom was 16 booked the Melanesian and got what she expected????
Would not have posted this until Travel on line told me that the Manager Lied and said i was not happy with the room so they move me???

Room Tip: Stay at the Melsian it is so close to the main town or the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa G
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We arrived at Tropicana on Saturday 29th Dec. When we went to check in we were told that our room was not available and that we would be moved to another resort for one night, because there was nothing much we could do about it, we decided not to disagree with the arrangements and we went to the other resort. A bus was arranged within seconds and 2 minutes later we arrived at the resort. We were shown to our room and then the manager from Tropicana showed up (Calvin). He explained the situation to us briefly before we got moved and then told us more about it when we arrived at the new resort. He told us that he would pay for that nights meals and a few other ways that he would compensate us. The day after we moved back to Tropicana and were shown to our room, unfortunately there was not 3 separate beds like we requested so again Calvin said that he would make another very generous compensation, which was much appreciated. The staff were very, very friendly and Calvin has got some fantastic skills about pleasing his guests. We were 110% happy with the stay at Tropicana, and a massive thank you to Calvin and his staff for the outstanding stay in Port Vila. Calvin has got a new resort opening soon, I can guarantee that I will be staying there in the very near future. Thanks Again.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are fantastic, but during the hotter months air conditioning is a must !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AJ276
Port Vila
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were two families travelling together and had a great week at the Tropicana
The things we enjoyed the most were the location, the restaurant and the service. It is on a channel between two larger lagoons and is great fun to swim and kayak in. The food in the restaurant was great and they were willing to serve us anytime during the day. We got great advice from Calvin, the manager about things to do in Vanuatu and how to get the most out of our trip. He was always wandering around talking to guests about what they wanted to do and tailoring advice to their preferences. Calvin moves on to another resort next week, so hopefully the same approach will continue. The rest of the staff were also great. The rooms were clean and basic. Air conditioning was available but we chose not to pay for it. In our room the air conditioner was in the living area not the bedrooms so we thought it would not have much benefit at night. Wi fi is available throughout the resort so you were able to sit by the pool or the bar and browse if that is what you wanted to do, and many people did seem to want to, especially our kids.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family