“A MUST DO WHEN IN VANUATU!”
Review of Edge Vanuatu - CLOSED

Edge Vanuatu
More attraction details
Owner description: EDGE Vanuatu is a multi-award winning Adventure Tourism Company featuring the Cascades Abseil. Our clients are transferred to the beautiful Mele Cascades, after the briefing and gear fitting you are taken on a walk to our Practice Cliff, first stopping out our Lookout. We have an 8m Practice Cliff where we teach you the basics of abseiling beside a lovely rock pool. Then it's 50 m down the waterfall in two 25 m pitches, the first passing a cave and on the second you cross underneath the waterfall before landing in the pool at the bottom and being guided back through the spectacular Mele Cascades for refreshments and a chance to view the photos from your tour.
Hunter Valley, NSW
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A MUST DO WHEN IN VANUATU!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Amazing!!!!!! One of the best things i have ever done!
Firstly they pick you up and drop you off at accommodation so that's a plus!
The walk up - is hard and steep but you should expect this if you need to get to the top of a waterfall! They stop many times on the way up for everyone to catch their breath and to enjoy the amazing views along the way! There was a lady who was 168kg who got herself up there - so if she can do it - anyone can!!!!!!!

Once at the top - you do a practice 8 m wall with no water on it. Then you do the 50 metre waterfall in 2 X 25 metre sections. They take pictures all along the way for you which came out amazing and I've attached some for you. The water was NOT cold at all - it was really refreshing! You would think it would be slippery but if you wear reef shoes you wont find it slippery at all. We just got ours from our resort (Erakor island resort - also amazing!).

Seriously anyone can do this even kids (youngest they had was 6 years old) - great experience and felt safe the whole time.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank mitch1818

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Amazing experience! Fantastic staff!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

It was our first time traveling to beautiful Vanuatu. My husband did this tour on our first full day in Vanuatu (while I looked after our children) and once he had finished he told me I'd be crazy not to do it myself.
I was a little aprehensive having never abseiled before, but decided to give it a go.
The treck up the mountain was fairly hard work, but the friendly staff made it much easier with several stops to catch your breath - (and there was no pressure put on you to keep up as there was a guide at the rear of the group to stay with straglers).
Once at the top you are greeted by more friendly staff and WATER :) The view is amazing also.
You then make your way to the 8m practice cliff where you are fully briefed.
I must stress that at no time did I feel my safety was at risk as nothing was rushed and the kind helpfull manner of ALL the staff kept everthing at ease.
After the practice cliff it was onto the real deal. Once at the top of the 50m waterfall, looking down it seems SO HIGH, but once you start your decent and follow the directions of your guides it's easy and extremely fun. Once at the bottom I was dying for more and thought that I could seriously get hooked on abseiling!!
The Australian owner was a fountain of knowledge on the area and the abseil itself. It made me proud to see an Aussie doing such a great job with a business in another country and employing so many local people and you could see the report he had with his staff - it was great.
Definately recommend this:
Tips - wear shoes and clothes that are comfy and can get wet.
It's a hike up the mountain not a stroll/walk, but it's worth it.
Wear the gloves that are provided!
Have fun!!

Country NSW
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had never abseiled before & I am so glad I did it here. The hardest thing about the day was the walk to the top of the waterfall. The guides were really helpful, it was a gorgeous day, the scenery was spectacular, great group of around 10 people, couldn’t ask for more. Possibly one of the best things I have ever done.

Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great fun - definitely recommend it”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Edge mele cascades abseil was great. It was the most fun thing we did in Vanuatu. I didn't find it to be very extreme (I guess that depends on your perspective) but it was alot of fun and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes getting out and about.
I thought that the guides were knowledgable and safety concious - I felt very safe throughout.
We were picked up about 8-8.30am and driven to the falls. We were fitted out with helmet etc and then there was a short but fairly steep walk up to the practice site (there are plenty of stops along the way). At the practice site there is a demonstration, then everyone has a go on the 8ish metre practice site. Once everyone has got the hang of it, you head down the main site - which is two 25m drops one after the other (you just change ropes mid way). There are guides helping you at each point and the rope was so wet I didn't ever get up that much speed. But it was really fun and was a great way to get a different perspective on the falls.
Definitely grab some gloves (they are supplied). I wore reef shoes which were perfect (there is so much calcium in the water that the rocks aren't that slippery) although reefs or sneakers would also be fine. Be warned that they take heaps of photos (which you can buy in packages at the end, although if you book online I think some are included) all throughout the day (whether you want them to or not) but despite finding it a little annoying at the time, we're really happy to have them to show friends and family now.
A must do while you are in Port Vila!

Sydney, Australia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great experience, grumpy guide”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am one of those people who are really nervous at heart but love the heart racing adventures. I am always scared when I try out different adventurous things but the adrenalin that comes with the adventure always wins over my fear.

When I was researching things to do in Vanuatu, abseiling was one of the things that came up and we decided to do it. I am scared of heights, especially when I know that the only thing that is holding me is a piece rope but somehow I convinced myself that it was going to be fun so I must do it.

Abseiling is a sport that involves climbing down the front of a large rock or a tall building while holding onto a rope. In our case it was more exciting as we were abseiling down a waterfall. The day we were meant to go for abseiling I was a little scared and a little excited. We went to the Mele Cascades and met our guide. The place looked beautiful and I saw so many tourists just walking around the waterfall. The guide gave us some safety instructions and the equipment and helmet. Also, I signed my life away saying I am responsible if anything happened to me during this adventure. We were joined by 2 other couples for this adventure.
So I was quite excited to start the adventure. But no one mentioned to me in trip advisor that there was almost a half hour long intense hike before we reach the place to start the abseiling. It was a hot and humid day so when we finished our hike all of us were sweaty, hot and tired. Thankfully there was water available on top of the hill for us to drink. The view from the top was amazing as well. There were 4 more people waiting for us at the waterfall. They helped us put on all the harness and show us how things work.

First we did a practice session on an 8m cliff where we were shown how to take control of our decent. It was really good as it gave me confidence to do the real one. They even let us do the practice session twice so that I could practice how to use my hands to control my decent with the rope.

When we were at the top of the falls for the real decent, I looked down and for a second I wanted to back out. I realised then that 50m is really high but I had no choice but to go for the descent. It was not very difficult as I was able to guide my descent with my hand on the rope behind my back so I could get a good position with one leg before I made a move with my other leg. It was really fun and amazing. The water was flowing down from the top as I went down and it was sometimes hard to open the eyes but every minute was such a great adventure. When I got to the bottom of the falls I thought that the first leg was over and was excitedly waiting for more. Imagine my reaction when AS told me that, that was it. I really wanted to do more J
On the way back we walked past the beautiful waterfall where people were swimming and cooling off. Once we reached the bottom, our guide brought us some fruits and juice and we had some while watching our photos which he and his team had taken.

Over all great experience but I have to say the main guide (Australian guy) was bit grumpy all the time. He just wanted to finish and go. No customer service and we can see that he was trying really hard to be nice.

Please visit http://nepaliaustralian.wordpress.com/category/travel/vanuatu/ for more adventures from Vanuatu

Visited January 2012