“Great value and taste”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Great range of food on offer at good prices. They do a lunch box which is not always on the menu but great range of food with Miso Soup and Sushi and salads. Staff are very friendly and great views over the harbour.

There are newer reviews for Kanpai

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Having here many times as I have with many of Port Vila's restaurants this is one of my favourites. (Its the wife's favourite)
Ate here last night with some friends and will eat here again later in the week when the wife joins me because if I don't take her I'm in all sorts of bother.
Firstly the location is great with as other reviewers have mentioned fantastic views over the harbour.
It's a slightly quirky setting with a inground pool off to the left as you enter (which you can use!!) and I would recommend booking to get one of the tables out front for the best views as it can fill up very quickly.
The sashimi is very good when fresh tuna has been caught. The sushi is good but don't come expecting Japanese quality as the local chefs don't spend 4 years learning just how to make the rice as their Japanese counter parts do.
The chicken karaage is very good though could do with a side serve of the mayonaise.
The ginger pork excellent as is the potato croquettes fried rice and Yakisoba. I fact most of the menu is very good with only the tempura requiring some improvement.
The service last night was a little indifferent but this is the case with most Vila restaurants.
But Johnny, the owner, is a lovely guy and will do anything to help and sort things out if you have any problems.
The wine list is small but at least has some variation over the sav blanc invasion that has taken over most list in Vila.
Value wise I think its pretty good.
All in All highly recommended

1  Thank LabTested
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Having dined at Kanpai many times I can say that it is a bit hit and miss.
It has a wonderful view of the harbour and being out of town can be a great place to go for lunch when the cruise ship is in town. It is also much better than the other Japanese restaurant on this strip of road.
I would say that the sushi is generally quite good. I used to order mixed sushi for lunch. Their tuna and salmon options are always lovely but the squid and octopus taste frozen not fresh. Dumplings are good but stay away from the fried things - their tempura batter is really not the best. Seaweed salad is a nice addition to a meal.
Overall if you are tired of the burger/chips/pizza that Vila has to offer this is a nice option - think more sushi train than tetsuya's.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

and outlook, but I find it better for lunch than for dinner.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

We have been to Port Vila many times but never visited this reasonably priced restaurant. We quite like Japanese food but they had fresh tuna on the menu so we ordered the tuna steaks, grilled and they were definitely fresh and delicious. We dined at lunch time and arrived about 1.00pm and they closed at 1.30pm so we felt a bit rushed but I would recommend to try this restaurant as it had a very extensive menu. It looks a little run down but what we ate was very good.