“Fabulous Food and Great Service”

Vila Chaumieres Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 93 Restaurants in Port Vila
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Loved the food - I had a chicken dish with mangoes and my husband had a seafood pasta dish. I couldn't help making happy ‘mmmm’ sounds while I was eating, it was delicious. The service was unobtrusive and polite. The coconut icecream was the tastiest I have ever had. It was also fun to feed the fish some bread while waiting for dinner. I think that the ideal time to go is when the sun is going down as we went at night and didn't see much of the lagoon. I would definitely go again. Thanks for the recommendations as I chose this restaurant based on TA reviews.

1  Thank BAB88

Reviewed February 3, 2010

At Vanuatu we stayed at The Eratap Beach Resort, the chef at the Eratap hightly recommend Vila Chaumieres for dinner. We where taken there by a taxi and had a beautiful dinner, i ate the seafood pasta, our two friends had chicken and my fiance had steak. The meals where excellent, the staff was very competent and lovely.

The atmosphere was lovely, the restaurant is set on a still lagoon, at night they have lights that glow in the water. my only advice is to take some aeroguard incase little mossies are out and about.

The second half of our stay we where at the Moorings hotel, which at the end of the meal we had to make our way back to! we called a taxi and after an hour it didn't show, the owner of the hotel then took us home for free when he found us still waiting out the front. he was such a lovely man and we greatly appreciated the lift.

Fantastic food, staff and prices, terrific experience.

We had entrees mains and desserts.

Reviewed January 7, 2010

Came to Vanuatu for xmas/NYE and ate a Chaumieres twice. Both times were great and my extremely fussy and toffee nosed teenaged brother absolutely devoured the coconut crab the 2nd time. He said it was the most delicious thing he has ever eaten, very high praise from a sullen, snobby teenager! The poulet fish (poulet meaning chicken - which really really does taste and feel just like chicken) was very nice and the steaks the best we had in Port Vila - cooked just right. My mum said the passionfruit souffle was divine (but gigantic - enough for two) and it had certainly risen like the best I have seen in Australia. Everything you would expect from a 5 star restaurant and the location can't be beaten. It is literally outside, right over the water and is lit at night so the amazing turquoise colour of the water is unobstructed. The staff gave us some extra bread rolls to feed to all the fish, which was great fun after our meal. Excellent service, delicious food, beautiful tranquil atmosphere. Very intimate and romantic - I would say a perfect spot for a proposal! It was expensive, but you would pay a helluva lot more for the same quality, service, experience, location and ambience at home. $30-40 for a great eye fillet is nothing unusual at a quality restaurant, nor is it surprising to pay $70-80 for a huge, whole crab (an endangered species there as well). Well worth the money, even if you only go for dessert and a drink once.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at Vila Chaumieres and ate there several times. When you visit Vila, you should go there at least once. the setting over the lagoon is exquisite - you get a lovely meal and a chance to feed the fish as well!

Reviewed October 27, 2009

We visited Vila Chaumieres on Tuesday 6 October 2009 for dinner. It was a quiet night at the restaurant with maybe only 6 other tables taken.

The best thing about this restaurant is the setting! If you do visit this restaurant, do ask your resort concierge to book you a table next to the water because watching the fish swim and jump out of the water is just magical! Truly a must-see if you have cash to burn.

The food was good but for the price it wasn't amazing. We ordered 2 lobster - one done flambe style which was impressive, the other done with garlic. Tasty but a little on the dry side. We also ordered coconut prawns and a calamari salad. The seafood was good quality but its delivery could have been improved somewhat. Just seemed a little bland for what we were expecting. For example, the kumala shavings seemed limp and could have been cut better to add texture and depth.

The cocktail menu was not suited to the summer season as all were cream-based. The margherita tasted like sea water (we suspect that the salt on the rim of the glass ended up completely making its way into the drink!).

Our meal ended up coming to approx $350 for two people. We would have been happy to have paid this amount if the quality of the meal warranted it. To us, it seemed that you were paying more for the location as the food was only just above average.

1  Thank SundayGirl1980