“A Very a disappointing fine dining experience”

Vila Chaumieres Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 87 Restaurants in Port Vila
Cuisines: Seafood, French, International, European, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“A Very a disappointing fine dining experience”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We decided to go to Vila Chaumieres, albeit expensive, as we were having such a wonderful holiday in Port Vila.
The restaurant entrance is very daunting to find at night, tradesman's entrance, dark winding path, quite long, with little signage.

Found the delightful setting, over the lagoon, soft lighting.
This was going to be so romantic.
Da daaaaa!

Ordered wine, and decided on the full lobster moray each, fairly pricey but we wee celebrating.

The wine was delivered, to the serving station about 12 feet away, but not served, never served.

After about 15 minutes, I wandered across and opened the wine, and poured our first drink.

The lobster came, and gee it looked great, but the sauce was weak and runny, and wait fit it.

The lobster was so tough it was hard to cut through, disgusting.

We tried to make the best if an awful dining experience, but we couldn't quite finish this expensive disaster.

We were loathe to complain at first, it does kill the romance, but finally, and probably too late, I dragged the reluctant waitress over and voiced my concern.

We never saw her again.

Finally the manager came over,was overly protective of his chef, never apologised, told us we should have complained earlier.

After much discussion, with my wife now on the verge if tears, he offered us a discount, and left.

We left, and went back to our glorious Trooicana Resort, and had a stiff drink.

Not to be recommended!!!

Sydney
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor and in Island Life magazine, My wife and I decided to forgo the higher prices and dine at Vila Chaumieres. We arrived slightly after sunset and if not for the driver pointing us in the right direction, we would have had difficulty finding the restaurant. There was one small sign pointing down the sparsely lit and winding path. I was intrigued, as it would have been beautiful in the daylight. We followed the sound of laughter and conversation to find the restaurant. My first thought on arriving was "Wow, what a surreal setting...as I had imagined a dinner on a tropical island should be." Tables under native-style shelter. The only thing missing were the Tiki torches. We were shown to our table and left with the drink menu/wine list. Our table overlooked a fish filled pond that joined the lagoon. Our server appeared after 15 minutes to take our drinks order. It seemed as if she really didn't want to be there, indifferent. Most of the other waitstaff appeared the same, underenthusiastic and not too many smiles. Anyways, she was off to get our drinks. Luckily, I had spotted some Main Menus in a stack nearby and took a pair to decide on our entrees and mains. She returned with our drinks and served us bread rolls before taking our entree and mains orders. I was anticipating my entree, Lobster Salad (daily special), as I was told it was excellent. An hour (and two drinks) later, our order arrived. A bit long, considering it did not appear to be busy that night. To our astonishment, our order consisted of our Mains only. Disappoinment. Our query about our entree was returned with a blank stare and then she asked if we wanted her to get them, I naturally declined. My wife took one bite of her meal (Pork Chop in Orange/Maple Glaze) and promptly removed it (mainly fat). I then had a taste. It wasn't loin, but shoulder. Overly fatty and overcooked (dry). Uh-oh...Now my for my Wellington. It missed the mark totally...the pastry was undercooked and doughy, the beef was cooked medium, the pate was undetectable and instead of the proper duxelles, it was served with a bland mushroom sauce. Two bites in, I decided that the meal was not worth the price and asked for the check. Reluctantly, the Manager allowed us to pay for the drinks without any apology for the poor food or service. Definitely underwhelmed.

1 Thank Bsport75
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
“Incredibly Overpriced”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The setting was really quite enchanting and the staff pleasant, but we felt severely "ripped off' by the cost of the meal. My husband had a seafood crepe which was in a small oval bowl and quite ordinary, despite the price tag. My souffle was a perfect texture but had hardly any flavor.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank The_Geni
Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, great environment”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had the Beef Wellington and it was really tasty, we sit by the lagoon, with lots of fishes and that was so relaxing. Well recommended!!!!

Milan, Italy
“Not good enough for that price”
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

We had very high expectations but even if the setting is very nice we were a bit disppointed. The service is really too slow and the food on the avarage and it doesn t justify the price at all. They didnt even want to call us a taxi but they suggest us to go on the street. Definetely overrated