“Brian and Marlene (Marian)”

The Havannah, Vanuatu
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Thank you Frederick ,Victoria and staff you made our stay very memorable.Nothing was a problem, if something wasn't available Frederick certainly did his best to get it for you.From the warm welcome,the service throughout,our villa,the friendly staff and naturally the gorgeous location we cannot thank you enough for our wonderful holiday in paradise.

Room Tip: Water front villa a must.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Brian and Marlene
I am glad you took the time to write a review on the Havannah and I thank you for it. It is always good to read what long stay guests have to comments about the resort as they have a better understanding of where we are and what we are achieving. I will pass your comments to our staff and I will look forward to welcoming you both at the Havannah in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Havannah, Vanuatu

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in Mid August and had a great stay. The staff are super friendly and willing to help in any way they can. The Hotel Manager was great and always wandered around and had a chat to all the guests. The food was good, and the rooms are a good size with both fans and air conditioning. Having the free shuttle in to town is great as its about 30 mins from Port Vila.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back and you can hear the generator humjming at night (not very loud but is jus...

Dear Kiwiworldtravellers
Sorry for the delay in responding to your comments but even people who like me live in Paradise, need to take a break! I am glad to read you have had a good stay but I am sorry to read that the generators disturbed you, they are quite away from the resort and normally are not a source of bother. This is one of the challenge associated with creating your own power and we are waiting to see the completion of installation of the electrical line to join the "grid", if their power is more consistent than ours!
In any case, thank you for writing the review and I hope to see you again soon at the Havannah

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Thanks so much to Victoria and Fredrick for a perfect holiday. Havannah resort is a really special place and the personal touches make it really memorable.

The service was amazing - nothing was an issue or a problem.

They obviously have a pest control system - we weren't bothered by bugs at all as we'd experienced in other resorts in Vanuatu. The rooms were spacious, clean and of high standard - what we expected for a high quality resort.

The snorkel trip organised by Fredrick was really cool.

The beach outside the resort is white sand and there is snorkelling gear that you can use for the whole time without going back and forward and they were good quality fins.

They had a kayak, paddle board, row boats, sail boats etc available for use. The beach is calm and there is snorkelling right off the beach which is pretty good. They even have resident dugongs!

Highly recommend this place for a winter escape! Amazing attitude of the staff, excellent service, great food - good breakfasts, great fresh fish for lunch/dinner; great beach, great dining area, great pina coladas etc etc!

Definitely going back :)

Room Tip: If choosing a garden villa, request villa 1 as it is the only garden villa near the pool and with a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Rachel
I thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Havannah and I am glad you have had a terrific time at our resort. The snorkelling trip on "Vagabond" are always a lot of fun and I do enjoy going on board to take care of my guests. It is a very social and happy day, and the Pinot Gris is always cold. I look forward to welcoming you back at the Havannah.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We still beam when we talk about our trip and could have very happily stayed here infinitely!

Every part of our stay, from our welcome, to our villa, to our private pool, to all of the staff, to the crystal clear waters and coral reef (accessible directly from the hotel beach), to the five star quality meals, ambience, setting, location was absolutely perfect.

10/10 - can't think of anything that could be better.. The staff are so friendly, always smiling, attentive (without being intrusive), the villas are very well kept and stocked - designed with 5 star amenities. The food was outstanding. Frederick and Victoria's style was nothing short of top class.

Thankyou to all at the havannah for an unforgettable holiday.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear nnewt
The staff and I are happy to have been able to provide you with a great relaxing holidays and we hope it will not be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah. We currently have the perfect weather with sunny blue sky days and slightly cool evening and night.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

You won't find a more welcoming and lovely place than The Havannah. The staff, management and location were all superior to anywhere else I have ever stayed, and I would recommend this as a first rate place to stay for anyone that wants great service, excellent food and gorgeous accommodation. I couldn't find anything to fault. I only wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool at the top and we were able to see the most beautiful sunset whilst enj...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Paula M
It was indeed our pleasure to take care of you and to ensure you had a relaxing stay with us at the Havannah. I thank you for your review and will pass on your comments to our staff. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

They say first impressions count, in the case of Havannah, every interaction just made the experience better and better. Just returned last night after a long weekend at the Havannah and we are so glad we stayed here and already planning to go back whenever we can. The location is great as it is on the north side of Efate away from other resorts but still within easy distance of Port Villa if you want to visit. However you won't want to leave as everything you need is catered for, if you just want to escape from it all and be completely looked after. We were greated with a warm welcome as we arrived and from the moment we arrived were called by our first names and made to feel special. We were given a great overview of everything available to do and tips on getting the most out of our time.

Fredrick and Victoria were wonderful hosts and the staff all reflected the same amazing attitude towards guest service. Our villa was right on the beach with an amazing view over the clear blue waters and the islands beyond, which made the sunset an event to be watched from your lounge chairs next to a wonderful plunge pool on the decking right outside the room. We were in Villa 11 and it was very private indeed from any other Villa, we felt like were were not in a resort at all. I don't think there is a bad room in the resort and we can't wait to try out other rooms next time.

The restuarant was just fabulous, breakfast was included a'la carte and a good selection including a nice basket of toast and baked goodies on the table every morning. Dinner was also excellent and again a great selection with a french theme, amazing crepes suzette and souffle. Even though the resturant has a lovely view over the ocean no matter where you sit, you could also pre book a private table for two on the pier. For a change of scenery a new resturant opened just 5 mins drive away, Shanti Havannah-Francesca's which serves great Italian, worth a visit for sure.

An evening sunset cruise is included, we just did not get a chance to do it and aparently we missed seeing the dolphins, there is always next time. We did take advantage of the included picnic on a secluded beach. This was excellent for snorkelling directly from the beach and spotting the many colourful delights of the reef. You can also snorkel directly off the resort beach or swim with the Dugong who seems to visit often.

Rooms are made up and resfreshed morning and evening and it was lovely to get back from dinner to find a towel animal and lovely note from one of the housekeeping staff. The pool is lovely and never crowded as it is a small resort and you really do get a sense of being away from it all. It is such a treat not to have kids running around, it really is for couples and that escape from it all.

I think it is worth noting that the resort has employed many of its staff from within the local community and have put a great deal into training them and supporting the local community in doing so. At times it made us smile when something got lost in translation or it took a little longer for things to get done. the heart and the intent was always in the right place and you just can't get too upset about the little things we stress over in our western corporate context. Chill, it is island time after all:)

This place is indeed a special treat, thanks Havannah

Room Tip: For that special treat, book a waterfront villa.
2  Thank Adrian_ace
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Adrian_ace
Thank you for your great review of our resort, I do not think you have left any stones unturned! Our staff and I are very happy that we did provide you for a long relaxing week end, I will share your comments with them. The dugongs have now been here everyday for the last 3 weeks and I have no idea why, unless like you they think it is a great spot to come and laze about in the beautiful clear tropical water! Anyway, I hope they stay a bit longer. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing you both back at the Havannah soon as we are really close from the East Coast of Australia!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Perhaps it was because we'd just spent five nights at Eratap Resort where the service was amazing, but I was expecting a lot more from The Havannah (which is $200 per night more expensive than Eratap).

Positives
- Aesthetics: The resort and it's location in Havannah Bay are absolutely stunning. We stayed in suite #7 which was had an amazing pool and ocean view. The room was beautiful and so were the rest of the facilities at the resort.
- Location: Because it's located in the bay - the waters are perfectly calm so you can snorkel right off the resort. They also offer a free sunset cruise which is spectacular - we saw dolphins.

Negatives
- Service: The staff are all super nice and you can tell that they are trying, but it's almost as if everyone just started working there a week ago. No one seemed to know any details about anything at the resort. No one really had a clue what they were doing.
- The Restaurant: The dinner food is actually pretty good, but the breakfast and lunch was forgettable. The servers were quite clueless about the menu and what is in the dishes they serve. The service at the restaurant is PAINFULLY slow. Even though it took FOREVER for the waiter to take our order - it still came out incorrect.
- Value: Our room was about $590 AUD per night - pretty pricey for non-perfection. Drinks are expensive also ( $14/$15 a drink compared to $9.50 at Eratap)
- Island Picnic: Eratap offered a similar service where they would boat you out to a nearby private island with a picnic lunch. The island at Eratap was amazing. The one at the Havannah was not impressive. I would have rather stayed at the beach on the resort and there is no way to contact them to pick you up earlier.

Bottom Line: I either think that The Havannah needs to rethink their pricing or they need to up their game. If you could combine the service at Eratap with the location of The Havannah - you'd have the perfect accommodation!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EstherLily
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Estherlily
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and to let me know the shortcoming of my staff, I do not know what went through their heads, as they have been here over a year, they are trained by me and most of them have attended a TAFE college hospitality course that the Havannah has paid for. However, you can rest assure that the moment I received your feedback on our guests satisfaction survey, I went to all of them and re-did a menu explanation training session.
Cocktails are priced according to the amount of alcohol in them, it is therefore difficult to compare unless the recipes are identical. I believe that our pricing is adequate for our quantities.
As far as the breakfast was concerned, I am sorry I failed you, because I cooked it. My breakfast chef did not show up for work, and my second commis fainted the first morning you were there. So after dealing with the medical emergency, I went cooking breakfast by myself as I had no one else. I know I was slow as the mis-en-place had not been done (because he fainted doing it), but did not think that what I had done was not good. I did go afterwards to every tables left in the restaurant to explain my dire straight situation but you had already left. It is not an excuse but when you are remote as we are, it is hard to call on staff to assist in an emergency. The next day, breakfast was cooked again by me at the beginning of the service with the assistance of an apprentice, and as I had to go to town and I thought he was going to be OK as you were the last table to come in. I should have stayed, I am sorry.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and show you that we do cook a mean breakfast, obviously when I am not cooking it!