“I don't know where to start!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Havannah, Vanuatu
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
sydney
“I don't know where to start!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I guess I should start with a big thank you to Frederick, Victoria and all their staff for making our stay extra special.

I had stopped by The Havannah quite a few years ago for lunch and was taken aback by it's beautiful secluded location and stunning features. So on my most recent trip to Vila I was determined to convince my boyfriend that we had to spend some time there!

Despite me having a cold (what timing!), we had the most glorious three days at The Havannah. The room was beyond expectation, there were lovely spots to lounge around, relax and read, we had a great time on the stand up paddle board, snorkelling, scuba diving, and of course the food was a highlight. My partner and I are strict vegetarians and we had no trouble filling our tummies with great food! The sorbet and meringue basket was ordered more than once!

Highlights included a lunch on the jetty, and then a dinner by the bonfire on the beach. The latter especially so, as it's where my boyfriend became my fiance!

What a wonderful place to become engaged, and now I have to convince my fiance we need to return yearly to celebrate our anniversary! Despite having visited some of the best hotels in the world (including the seven star Burj Al Arab in Dubai), it is the location and natural beauty of the area that makes this one of our new favourite hotels worldwide!

PS We thought the garden was stunning (please add a hammock for my next return!) and loved the different towel animals that greeted us nightly after housekeeping had tidied our mess!!! Hope to try out the spa next time.

Best Wishes and Thanks to all!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mega79
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Mega79
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Havannah. And congratulation on your engagement. You know that the table on the beach could become your yearly destination for celebration but also to take some time out and recharge the batteries! It was a pleasure to have you both here and I am glad we could make your stay special, I will look at sourcing a couple of hammocks before your next visit. Enjoy your life together and see you soon. Kind regards,
Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

This resort is located on the west side of the main island, in Havannah Harbour, which is sheltered by two islands, meaning the water is generally very calm. The resort is a fair way from anything else: about 30 mins by car. You can arrange taxis and trips elsewhere, but we decided to stay on the resort since it would be a bit of an effort.

Our room was about 5 metres from the water, and had its own horizon drop pool with a nice deck to sit on and watch the sunsets. The room had a double sink in the bathroom, and the shower had a good powerful jet. There was a separate front lounge area with a DVD player and TV, although we could only find two channels (Australian SBS and WIN TV). The bed was large and comfortable. There is a fridge, sink and bench, with tea and coffee making facilities. There is wifi, but it's at dial-up speeds (about 40-50 Kbps), which is to be expected for the location. Certainly fast enough to check email and a few websites.

The beach is sand, but there is a fair bit of broken coral and a few rocks ( not to mention the risk of stone fish everywhere in Vanuatu) when you first get in the water in the area near the rooms, so make sure to bring some reef shoes. They have some to borrow, but they may not fit, so best to bring your own. The water was beautifully warm and clear, and there are quite a few nice fish to see when snorkelling (you can borrow equipment from the boat shed), even only 5-10 metres from shore. There are also kayaks and stand up paddle boards which can be borrowed from the boat shed. There is also a great-looking, well-maintained tennis court to use.

We had an included offer of a drop-off on Moso Island to a secluded beach with picnic lunch. We also added in the turtle sanctuary, which is on the same island and is worth the 30 minute visit (if you like cute baby turtles). The secluded beach was also a good idea, but I'm not sure if it was the windy weather and the low tide, but the snorkelling wasn't great.

The hotel restaurant had a good range of food, which was enough that we had something different every night we were there (4 nights). Breakfast was fairly good, although I had a slightly vinegary and watery eggs Isabelle one morning and didn't have that again. The lunch menu had a lot of options. The food at dinner was all good, but not brilliant. The linguine with garlic prawns had a very nice flavour, but the linguine was slightly over-cooked. The beef fillet had an excellent sauce and was cooked to perfection and was a highlight. However, that same night we ordered a soufflé which we expected to take about 20 minutes, but by about 45 minutes after ordering (with no updates on the delay) we decided the wait was too long and left. The service from the wait staff was otherwise very good and attentive. You can also elect to book dinner one night on the jetty, which is probably nice in summer, but this time of year it's dark by 530pm, so you can't see much, so we didn't bother. Overall, the restaurant is pretty good, but needs some work on consistency of dishes (ie. making them all good, and making them the same each time you order them). The managers were often on-site ensuring everything was going well, which was nice.

All in all, it's a good value resort if you're after a lazy, pleasant, relaxing time in nice surroundings with the occasional snorkel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Blahoz
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Beanoz
What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it and even though, you did not give 100%, I feel this is a very precise description of our property. We are effectively 1/2 hour drive out Port Vila but when you get to us, you know that you are on an island in the Pacific with all its beauty and charm. Communication (TV/Wi-Fi/telephone) can be and is a challenge for us, again due to our enchanting destination. I have spoken to our staff about the soufflé as they should have made you aware of the oven problem the chef was experiencing that night, and I apologise for this lack of communication. I will work on it with them.I look forward to welcoming you back at the Havannah.
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have just returned from 8 days at The Havannah. What a great place. As a Hotleier with multiple experiences in the Pacific I was surprised how good this product really is. We had a great time. facilities were just what we were looking for . The villas very comfortable and the public areas just made us feel at home. The staff are the best I have seen in the Pacific. A relaxed friendly service level. Great to see the management company so accessible and their friendly enquiries around the Restaurant was a great touch. The food was very good even though they had a brand new chef.
W would highly recommend this property for anyone looking for a relaxing and "rejuvenation of the spirit" break
Pip and Paul

Room Tip: Try for a pool Villa
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pip and Paul
Thank you for your kind review of the Havannah and coming from a seasoned hotelier, like yourself it is much appreciated. I will pass on your comments to our staff who I am sure will be very proud of your description. I trust that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah when you are both ready for the next rejuvenating break.
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Havannah in May 2013. The Havannah has beautiful gardens and a lovely lagoon setting which is very peaceful.
We had a fabulous pool villa at the end Villa 17 which we thought was the pick of the rooms so we were very happy with that. The wifi was really slow but good to have.
The staff are amazing and very friendly and the highlight of our stay was a trip through the village with Jonathon then onto the quirkly World War 2 museum with a talk by one of the village elders who is passionate about World War 2 history and he had the biggest collection of American antique coke bottles in the Pacific which was fun. We also saw the American pool.
We loved the little folded towel animals put on our beds each day and Edna was kind enough to show us how to fold a few. Little touches like that really make a stay memorable so thank you to the Ni-Vanuatu staff who could not have been better.
Frederick and Victoria were efficient but we did feel a little pressured to take part in the cruises and activities - we would rather have been left quietly to do our own thing but some people like to be made a fuss of so each to his own. We had to call them to say goodbye when we left.
Food at the restaurant was mainly good but the steak was tough which was a shame especially for the price we paid. We had a melt in the mouth steak at the Aquana restaurant which is not as up market so there is good steak in Vanuatu. Cocktails in the evening by Jimmy were excellent and the fresh grapefruit juice in the mornings was tasty.
We enjoyed the free sunset cruise and it was very relaxing on the lagoon. There is a good house reef to the left of the resort which makes for good snorkelling and the large central area of the resort is great for sitting and looking out at the sunsets.
Havannah is a little far out and probably best for honeymooners. We did not do the town trip as that would have taken all day. We felt that Eraptap was more convenient as it was closer to town. We are glad we broke our stay up into 2 different resorts.

Room Tip: Villa 17 is the best - with a plunge pool, shady trees and privacy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beachyAustralia
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear BeachyAustralia
Thank you for writing this review about your recent stay at the Havannah, and we are glad to read that overall you had an enjoyable time. I was however sorry to read that your steak was tough as we only buy export quality beef fillet which normally "melts in your mouth", I wish you would have told me at the time. As far as activities and cruises are concerned, we used to advise guests at time of check in of what was happening during their stay, then we were getting comments that we had not reminded people about the activities and that they had missed out, so we thought we would tell our guests until they either said yes or no. No pressure was intended. Finally I am happy that you had a good time at Eratap which is our main competitor in Efate, and as keen as us to provide friendly and efficient Vanuatu hospitality. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back at the Havannah. Until then...
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Havannah for our honeymoon and we were so glad that we did. What a fantastic place to stay with beautiful scenery, food and drinks. The room was beautiful and the private plunge pool was brilliant! Good service, relaxing atmosphere and a great place to unwind and take it easy. Be mindful of wrapping your food or putting it in the fridge as the ants will find it! Would love to go back one day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear OzChards
I am glad that we were successful in providing you the right spot to unwind and enjoyed your honeymoon. Effectively, in our beautiful tropical environment and whilst we do not normally have ants in our villas, if food is left out, these little buggers will found it, any time, every time and anywhere, however I am surprised they went into your fridge as being Ni-Vanuatu ants, they would not like the cold! I thank you for your comments, have a great life together and hopefully we will see you soon back at the Havannah.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose The Havannah for our honeymoon and we were so glad we did. Stunning location, beautiful and stylish rooms, and a relaxing romantic setting away from the tourist hustle and bustle. The staff were amazing. So friendly and happy, they were the highlight of our stay. Managers Victoria and Frederick were fantastic, greeting us on arrival and always happy to help and suggest activities during our stay. We mainly ate at the restaurant and the food was simply stunning. If anything, we wish the wait between courses was longer as we enjoyed the food so much we wanted to eat it all but sometimes it came out too quick and we were still full. The free shuttle bus into Port Villa was great and the sunset cruise was so relaxing. Wifi in the rooms were a nice new addition. We had a waterfront villa with our own pool. Sometimes it felt like we were the only ones in the resort which was so relaxing. We would definitely stay here again. We have great memories of our stay in paradise!

Room Tip: If you want privacy, the waterfront villas on the northern side of the main area are ideal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belinda M
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Belinda
We were very happy to read that you have had an amazing honeymoon and we are thankful to you for taking the time to write a review about the Havannah. I will let the service and kitchen know that they may be too fast in the service of food and should time it a little slower. I will also tell them about your comments on the food. Thank you. We do hope we will see you back soon at the Havannah.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Havannah Resort in April, spending 3 nights in a pool villa and then 4 nights in a beach villa. The pool villa was excellent, with entry to a fabulous pool at our doorstep, something we enjoyed every evening watching the gorgeous sunset. Transferring to a beach villa we were treated with a level of comfort and privacy unsurpassed at most resorts. The private plung pool and front door access to the beach was absolutely excellent, and the standard of the villa's superb. The staff were great with both Frederick and Victoria taking the time every day to personally seek feedback on our stay. Frederick proving to possess multiple talents by hosting a great day on a chartered catamaran, being host, barman, chef and photographer! All the local staff were fantastic....from Jimmy at the bar making my wife different daily cocktails, Anita looking after us in the resturant and Jonathan bending over backwards to make sure our anniversary was special and memorable. Being treated with a daily turndown service with many different bath towel creations and personal notes was a nice touch. Even our beach picnic that ended up being in the rain, with the locals thinking we must have been crazy, was carried out by Momo who transported us by boat....in the rain....always with a huge smile! We would definitely recommend to anyone, this resort and look forward to returning some day.
Cheers from Mark and Lisa.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark H
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Mark and Lisa
In was indeed a great day out on Vagabond and it does give me great pleasure to take care of my guests. I am so pleased you had a fantastic anniversary and I do hope we will see you back soon at the Havannah. I will pass on your comments to out staff as they like to know when they have made some good memories for our guests. Thank you and BTW great shot of the sunset at the lagoon villa!
Kind regards to you both.