This resort is located on the west side of the main island, in Havannah Harbour, which is sheltered by two islands, meaning the water is generally very calm. The resort is a fair way from anything else: about 30 mins by car. You can arrange taxis and trips elsewhere, but we decided to stay on the resort since it would be a bit of an effort.
Our room was about 5 metres from the water, and had its own horizon drop pool with a nice deck to sit on and watch the sunsets. The room had a double sink in the bathroom, and the shower had a good powerful jet. There was a separate front lounge area with a DVD player and TV, although we could only find two channels (Australian SBS and WIN TV). The bed was large and comfortable. There is a fridge, sink and bench, with tea and coffee making facilities. There is wifi, but it's at dial-up speeds (about 40-50 Kbps), which is to be expected for the location. Certainly fast enough to check email and a few websites.
The beach is sand, but there is a fair bit of broken coral and a few rocks ( not to mention the risk of stone fish everywhere in Vanuatu) when you first get in the water in the area near the rooms, so make sure to bring some reef shoes. They have some to borrow, but they may not fit, so best to bring your own. The water was beautifully warm and clear, and there are quite a few nice fish to see when snorkelling (you can borrow equipment from the boat shed), even only 5-10 metres from shore. There are also kayaks and stand up paddle boards which can be borrowed from the boat shed. There is also a great-looking, well-maintained tennis court to use.
We had an included offer of a drop-off on Moso Island to a secluded beach with picnic lunch. We also added in the turtle sanctuary, which is on the same island and is worth the 30 minute visit (if you like cute baby turtles). The secluded beach was also a good idea, but I'm not sure if it was the windy weather and the low tide, but the snorkelling wasn't great.
The hotel restaurant had a good range of food, which was enough that we had something different every night we were there (4 nights). Breakfast was fairly good, although I had a slightly vinegary and watery eggs Isabelle one morning and didn't have that again. The lunch menu had a lot of options. The food at dinner was all good, but not brilliant. The linguine with garlic prawns had a very nice flavour, but the linguine was slightly over-cooked. The beef fillet had an excellent sauce and was cooked to perfection and was a highlight. However, that same night we ordered a soufflé which we expected to take about 20 minutes, but by about 45 minutes after ordering (with no updates on the delay) we decided the wait was too long and left. The service from the wait staff was otherwise very good and attentive. You can also elect to book dinner one night on the jetty, which is probably nice in summer, but this time of year it's dark by 530pm, so you can't see much, so we didn't bother. Overall, the restaurant is pretty good, but needs some work on consistency of dishes (ie. making them all good, and making them the same each time you order them). The managers were often on-site ensuring everything was going well, which was nice.
All in all, it's a good value resort if you're after a lazy, pleasant, relaxing time in nice surroundings with the occasional snorkel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Havannah is Vanuatu's adult only luxury retreat for couples. Located just 30 minutes drive from the International Airport the Havannah overlooks the pristine waters of Havannah Harbour on the northern side of the main island of Efate. The tranquility of the resort makes it an ideal place to unwind and rediscover yourself and each other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your The Havannah, Vanuatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Havannah Hotel Port Vila
- The Havannah, Vanuatu Port Vila