“Amazing honeymoon”

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Adelaide, Australia
“Amazing honeymoon”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose The Havannah for our honeymoon and we were so glad we did. Stunning location, beautiful and stylish rooms, and a relaxing romantic setting away from the tourist hustle and bustle. The staff were amazing. So friendly and happy, they were the highlight of our stay. Managers Victoria and Frederick were fantastic, greeting us on arrival and always happy to help and suggest activities during our stay. We mainly ate at the restaurant and the food was simply stunning. If anything, we wish the wait between courses was longer as we enjoyed the food so much we wanted to eat it all but sometimes it came out too quick and we were still full. The free shuttle bus into Port Villa was great and the sunset cruise was so relaxing. Wifi in the rooms were a nice new addition. We had a waterfront villa with our own pool. Sometimes it felt like we were the only ones in the resort which was so relaxing. We would definitely stay here again. We have great memories of our stay in paradise!

Room Tip: If you want privacy, the waterfront villas on the northern side of the main area are ideal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belinda M
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Belinda
We were very happy to read that you have had an amazing honeymoon and we are thankful to you for taking the time to write a review about the Havannah. I will let the service and kitchen know that they may be too fast in the service of food and should time it a little slower. I will also tell them about your comments on the food. Thank you. We do hope we will see you back soon at the Havannah.
Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Havannah Resort in April, spending 3 nights in a pool villa and then 4 nights in a beach villa. The pool villa was excellent, with entry to a fabulous pool at our doorstep, something we enjoyed every evening watching the gorgeous sunset. Transferring to a beach villa we were treated with a level of comfort and privacy unsurpassed at most resorts. The private plung pool and front door access to the beach was absolutely excellent, and the standard of the villa's superb. The staff were great with both Frederick and Victoria taking the time every day to personally seek feedback on our stay. Frederick proving to possess multiple talents by hosting a great day on a chartered catamaran, being host, barman, chef and photographer! All the local staff were fantastic....from Jimmy at the bar making my wife different daily cocktails, Anita looking after us in the resturant and Jonathan bending over backwards to make sure our anniversary was special and memorable. Being treated with a daily turndown service with many different bath towel creations and personal notes was a nice touch. Even our beach picnic that ended up being in the rain, with the locals thinking we must have been crazy, was carried out by Momo who transported us by boat....in the rain....always with a huge smile! We would definitely recommend to anyone, this resort and look forward to returning some day.
Cheers from Mark and Lisa.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark H
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Mark and Lisa
In was indeed a great day out on Vagabond and it does give me great pleasure to take care of my guests. I am so pleased you had a fantastic anniversary and I do hope we will see you back soon at the Havannah. I will pass on your comments to out staff as they like to know when they have made some good memories for our guests. Thank you and BTW great shot of the sunset at the lagoon villa!
Kind regards to you both.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had a great time here, people were lovely, the villas were lovely and the food was great.

Havannah is easily the nicest place you can stay in vanuatu. Only real negative is that it is a bit hard to get in and out of town.

But they have a free shuttle.

Food was excellent, really enjoyable..

Had a GREAT time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Adam H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Havannah. We started in late May last year, so it is pleasing to read that we took good care of you. Effectively, we are 30 minutes away by car from Port Vila, but it makes it up by being a beautiful, dust free site with a soft breeze, an oasis of peace and quiet. We have transfers daily to town and have negotiated set rates with a couple of local taxis. We do hope that on your next visit to Vanuatu, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at The Havannah on our honeymoon on a honeymoon package. This place is everything you want on a honeymoon. It's quiet, peaceful, scenic and relaxing. We stayed in a pool/lagoon villa which was lovely having our own pool just metres from the door. The only downside was we couldn't see the beautiful bay from our bed! The food was sensational. We enjoyed between 2-3 courses for lunch and dinner (we could indulge, we were on our honeymoon!). We repeated some meals because they were just so divine. I think I could live off the Asian beef salad and the lamb shanks very easily! Eating breakfast one morning we saw dolphins frolicking in the bay. The marine life is very much alive, and you can watch the fish playing and feeding through the crystal clear waters from the beach or the beautiful jetty. We chose not to partake in some of the extra activities (day on a catamaran cruising the bay and snorkelling or the famous land diving), but this ensures when we go back there are still things to do! Would definitely recommend The Havannah. Frederick and Victoria are the perfect hosts - making sure to catch up with you each day to find out how things are going. The staff are just beautiful as well. From the staff in the restaurant greeting you by name to the housekeeping ladies who kept our rooms nice, turned down our bed at night and indulged us with 5 nights of towel animal tag! The only thing that would make it better would be the chefs recipe for the Asian beef salad ;-) I'm having withdrawals since coming home! Can't wait to come back again. 2014 - first anniversary holiday!

Room Tip: The lagoon rooms are beautiful. Next time though we plan to book a waterfront villa. We were right n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Tim and Emma,
I am glad you have had a great honeymoon and I thank you for taking the time to write about the Havannah and your experience. I will pass on this review to the staff who are always happy to hear from our guests. The Thai style beef salad is a very easy dish to make and is delicious, however you need good beef, and that we have plenty in Vanuatu. Anyway, please enjoy our recipe variation and let us know how you good you are at it. Kind regards to you both, and I look forward to welcoming you back next year at the Havannah. Frederick

Spicy Thai style beef salad – 1 portion
Ingredients
180 gr Beef fillet, cooked rare to medium rare roasted or pan-fried, thinly sliced
1 SP Fish sauce
1 SP Lime juice
2 Green and red bird's eye chillies (finely chopped, remove seed if too spicy)
1⁄3 tp Sugar or palm sugar
1 Shallots (thinly sliced)
1/2 Tomato (remove the seeds, thinly slice lengthways and dice)
1/2 Spring onion (thinly sliced)
1/4 cup Coriander leaves or cilantro, finely chopped
Put the fish sauce, lime juice, chillies and sugar into a bowl and mix together. Add the beef and stir well so that the beef is well covered in the sauce.
Add the shallots and the tomato, mix together. Lastly add the spring onions and coriander leaves. Mix well together and serve immediately. This can be served cold or warm and to get the extra tasted, it is best to mix everything when the beef is still hot.
Serve with steam rice
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Our recent stay at The Havannah was by far the best romantic getaway we have had in the Pacific islands. The resort is positioned to take full advantage of the tropical sunset - from your own room or from the pool with a cocktail. Just the thing to wash away your everyday worries and put you in the mood. The rooms are beautifully fitted out, with sumptuous and thoughtful touches that take a romantic holiday to the next level. If you are into snorkeling, the is an amazing coral garden immediately south of the resort, just 10 meters from the shore. We were lucky enough during our stay to see an explosion of brightly colored tropical fish of every size and description, and we even saw cowrie shells feeding, which we've never seen before. Just spectacular. But the best-kept secret about this resort is the food - every dish we tasted during our stay was simply out of this world, sublime combinations of flavor and ingredients. The staff are very knowledgeable about the local produce, and are helpful without being too intrusive, like at some resorts. We're not talking about your standard resort food here - some of the dishes would not be out of place in the top restaurants in Australia and New Zealand. They really put the other resorts in Vanuatu to shame, and we've dined or stayed at most of them! Highly recommended - we are already planning another stay for later this year.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nick and Anna H
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Nick and Hanna
I was away marketing Vanuatu and the Havannah in New Caledonia went you came for your romantic get-away and I am glad to read that you had a great time. We invest a lot of time in our kitchen, sourcing produce and cooking with different influence, in order to provide our guests with a culinary experience which is worth remembering. Thank you for your accolade.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

'Flop and drop' was a new travel term for my wife and I. The agent who recommended The Havannah used it to describe the short getaway we were looking for. We didn't want to leave the resort at all, just read, swim, sleep, eat and enjoy a good glass of wine. A total rest.
The three and a half hour flight from Sydney was uneventful and the twenty five minute drive from the airport to the resort provided a pretty clear understanding of this developing country where 60% of the population is focussed on subsistence farming. Establishing and operating a five-star resort in this less-developed nation would require an enormous effort.
Our welcome to The Havannah was warm and personal. Frederick and Victoria have managed resorts in other developing countries such as Vietnam and China. The attention to detail, the little things that demonstrate that extensive experience, were all there for us without having to ask. Nothing was too much trouble. Everything felt easy.
We were concerned that, given our plan was not to leave the resort, the quality and variety of meals in the restaurant might be an issue. These concerns evaporated on our first evening. The menu was diverse and well constructed. It ranged from smaller, lighter dishes through pastas to the locally-bred Island beef (which my wife thought superb). There was a new Specials menu at every sitting. The quality of the food was excellent, amazing given the lack of infrastructure for a consistent supply of fresh ingredients. The eclectic mix of music played as background in the restaurant was perfect in creating the essence of this muliti-cultural experience.
We can recommend the option of eating dinner on the jetty atop the glass floor. We drank a beautiful Sav Blanc from the Adelaide Hills in Australia while watching the fish swim around us. The wine list is carefully edited but offers a solid assortment of Australian and French wines. C'est bon!
Our villa opened onto that section of the swimming pool that is exclusive to the occupants of five poolside villas, each with its own 'beach'. The water is salt rather than chlorine which makes for a more natural and relaxed swim. To rest at the 'infinity' edge of the pool and watch the sun setting over Havannah Bay must be one of the best experiences possible.
My wife and I visited the spa for a one hour body massage. The masseuses were skilled and wonderfully attentive. How can 60 minutes seem to pass in only 20?
Our villa was well presented and maintained very well by the Housekeeping Team who left us special 'gifts' each night with delightful hand-written messages . We looked forward in anticipation each night as we returned to our room to discover our new 'friends'.
Last but not least - the people. Frederick and Victoria are wonderful hosts and the locals who work in the reception,the restaurant, the spa, the boat house and the gardens were friendly and welcoming way beyond any trained protocols. There is no doubt they want every guest to have the best time ever and they will do whatever it takes to make that happen. They each introduced themselves, a nice personal touch, and they remembered us and our preferences from one day to the next.
There are only 16 villas at The Havannah and children under ther age of 16 are not allowed. We love our kids but loved the peaceful and relaxed ambience. It is a beautiful and friendly destination to which we will rteturn.

Room Tip: We chose a poolside villa rather than a beachside one mainly because my wife is not able to walk on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NJR_13
Dear NJR_13
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the Havannah. We are really happy to have been able to provide you with the "flop and drop" holiday you were after and I think we should use this new travel expression in our marketing program. I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you both at the Havannah soon, and in the meantime "flip and work" so you can have a well deserved holiday.
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

“Big Price without Attention to Detail”
29 Mar 2013 jell78
My wife and I booked to stay 1 night on pur way back from a remote island called Aniwa.
We decided to get a waterfront villa which cost $700AUS, even though it was in wet seaon, which is off peak.
After realizing that we would need to leave early in the morning to catch an international flight, I decided to ring the hotel.
When I rang, the lady said that the online travel we used has made mistake and shouldn't have taken the booking for only one night. She then said that she wasn't sure if we could stay there and she had to check with her manager if it was ok. As the manager was not there, she had to get back to me.
Finally, I was then told, that they will let me do it this time!!!! Like I should be grateful staying there.
What's worse, is when I brought it to the Manager or owner when we arrived, she proceeded to tell me that they shouldn't have done that, where in actual fact, their internal politics with travel agents have nothing to do with me in the slightest. The point is, we felt put out.
When we arrived at the airport. Our transfers did not show up for half an hour, was made to buy a phone card from the airport and and use a security guards' personal mobile phone!!!! Even on Aniwa island, at $42 a night, remembered to confirm our flight arrival details.
So when we got to our room, it was clean and up to standard.
A breakfast pack was arranged for the 2 of us in the morning. It comprised of 1 apple, half a banana, 1 segment of orange and 2 small pastries. This was for 2 of us!!!! I asked if there was a mistake and was assured that more would be brought to our room, knowing full well that we had to wake up well in time for the taxi (I even reminded her that I had to get up early and bring the pack to our room at her earliest convenience). At 10.40 pm (a couple of hours later), the reception lady was sitting in the foyer area laughing at holiday snaps, whilst my breakfast was sitting up on the counter.
Our taxi was arranged for 4.30, and was assured that someone will help with our bags in the morning.
After waiting till 4.35am we decided to walk through darkness to where we thought the taxi might come. There was no one at reception of course. When the taxi arrived only a few minutes after (lucky), he told us that it was only booked a couple of hours ago and wasn't sure if there was another couple to be coming. We waited 5 minutes and had to go. God help the other couple if they did exist.
That is the biggest waste of money. The management team need to take a trip to Aniwa Ocean View Bangalows to take a leaf out of their book in customer service.
It brought the holiday to a stressful end, rather than a peaceful one.
Thanks Havannah

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank jell78
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Jell78
I have read your review and I was absolutely flabbergasted by the experience you have received at the Havannah in my absence. I have investigated your comments and I will not give you excuses as there are none. We pride ourselves in delivering personal and friendly service and I am sorry that in that instance we have failed you.
I do take every comments seriously and rest assure that yours will be dealt with the staff concerned.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you have been treated.