“perfect romantic getaway”

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“perfect romantic getaway”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I waited for dates to become available to this exclusive beautiful resort for our honeymoon.
It is the perfect getaway to spend quality secluded romantic time together.
The staff were outstanding with their service, especially the evening turn down service they offer.
They were so friendly and always remembered our names.
Just beautiful ppl who work so hard.
Amazing views, beautiful clear sands and water just like in the movies.
Take advantage of a trip to a deserted island with a picnic lunch- was heavenly and so surreal.
Meals were amazing, especially when they set up your table by candlelight on the beach with an open fire.
We had an infinity pool overlooking the ocean from our balcony. Pure bliss
Highly recommend this resort for those wanting quality romantic time together.
Thanks Havannah we loved our stay.

Room Tip: Plunge pool is a must!! But all the rooms looked amazing Only about 16 I believe Hence such perso...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bern-Craig
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Bern-Craig
I was away on leave when you came and stay at our resort and therefore I am very pleased to see that our staff took great care of you. We are now closed for renovation until the 12th March and all the staff are on holidays however I will pass on your comments, with my thanks to the staff when they return.
Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Most of the reviews on this resort are written by honeymooners or couples seeking seclusion or celebrating special occasions, and this is definitely the main clientele. I am writing this review with a fresh prospective , as part of a gay couple who has just returned from 7 nights at the havannah in January.
I researched all the resorts in Efate vanuatu for a very long time , before I came to the conclusion that there was no other choice but to book the havannah ( but even then , with some hesitation). It is very rare on Trip-adviser , and especially in regards to Vanuatu resorts , that you get any concept of how gay couples are treated. The short answer is that , not only the managers of this resort but the entire staff , and in fact anyone we encountered in vanuatu , made us feel extremely comfortable and welcome. We never felt out of place or awkward and in fact bonded with many members of staff , who are all exceptional people.
It all started with emails to Victoria , one of the managers , in regards to having time in Port villa , before we were taken to the resort , which she gladly organized for us for a small extra fee, ages before we arrived. It ended up that our airline had problems , we arrived at 1 am in the morning and Victoria still had made sure transfers were waiting and organized , and kept a platter of food for us both , which was much appreciated.
Let me not mix words, we have seen many other resorts on Efate and believe me , this wins hands down. Spend the extra money , it is very much worth it, the others don't come close ! .
The most distinct difference is the fact you have the most serene , beautiful bay as a backdrop , which is so swim-able , warm , and the absolute picture , I have , and I'm sure many have in their head , of Vanuatu. The others don't have this. The only thing I must warn you , is that although the water is so clear you can see for miles , there is a lot of shells and coral particles to walk over before you get to a sandy bottom . The beach however is soft and sandy.
We stayed in a waterfront villa (no:17 ) With a private plunge pool. It was amazing , private , quiet, and luxurious. I did a lot of wandering while I was there , and got to see the outlook from most rooms. I can tell you that each one has it's advantages. Waterfront villas 15 - 17 are very private and separate , but don't get a lot of afternoon sun ( which is great for sunburnt bodies) 11 - 14 have fantastic views of the sunset ( you can see it from your private plunge pool) however they are closer together and don't all have an extra daybed from what I could tell. All the pool villas have great views and if you are going to spend most of your time at the pool anyway , these should be your choice . The garden villas are great if you want absolute privacy for "important reasons" but don't have views.
The food is of a very high standard with very few exceptions. They have experienced chefs working here. The magic of the whole resort however , comes from the staff. Besides the managers Frederick and Victoria , who are always around and accessible , and making sure your happy and content ( they need awards for the most attentive managers on the planet) the staff are all so kind and sweet and actually care , they even know your name ( how rare is that ?) from Sam the maintenance man , to the housekeeping staff , to the restaurant staff ; sweet personable Jimmy , cool , pool barman Phill, kind Alfred , gracious ; Vivian, Julie, Anita and Cathy , who serve you with such dedication ,efficient Bruce on the front desk and Marika's glowing personality in reception. What is great is that they all seem really happy to be there , and it's hard not to get attached to them all.
The other guests ( while we were there at least ) kept to themselves , and that was great, so did we. You are not annoyed by loud voices , children ( thank god for the no children policy!!!) or annoying crowds. You think ( except for breakfast and dinner) you are the only people in the resort. It's very rare you share the pool or garden or beach with anyone.
We really enjoyed the snorkeling trip to "Survivor" island and there are other great day trips. There are also very generous spa treatments . I really just enjoyed kayaking up to the end of the bay, past all the villages , where all the people don't hesitate to shout "hello!!" It is so peaceful and serene.
These are the words which are the star of the resort.. Peaceful , private, secluded!
It was hard to believe the other reviews below this , because they were so flattering , but having experienced it , I now know it's true.
There are a few very minor things that other reviewers have covered that need sorting out, but the manager Frederick assured me that this will all be sorted out with the renovations in February , so they are not worth mentioning. They are Almost finished building a big water sports building for all the equipment , and I would say that from march , anyone staying here will have very few things to criticize.
If you are a gay couple looking for somewhere safe , friendly and welcoming this is the resort for you ! ( you may not see any other gay couples , but who cares? )

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Stephen_erko
Dear Stephen_erko
Thank you for this very detail review of our resort. Victoria and I have been away on holidays and we are now in the full swing of renovation, maintenance and upgrades. Unfortunately, we will have some delays as our garden lights from Bali have not arrive, so we are digging and laying down all the electrical which is making a mess of our paths, however as we will be redoing the path this week, no one will be any wiser! I have passed on your comments to our staff as I know they take great pride of taking care of all our guests.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for a week
The room was amazing
The staff fantastic, EVERYONE of them.
Only thing I could fault is not having Wifi in our room, but this gave me more time off my phone, which was a good thing.
But Fredrick the manager did tell me that after the renovations each room will have wifi

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Pattieme
Dear Pattieme
Sorry for the delay in responding to your review but Victoria and I were on a well deserved holiday. I am so glad you had a great stay with us. The Wi-FI is being installed tomorrow in all villas, and so is our new telecommunication system. We are all very excited.
Hopefully we will see you again in 2013. Until then, take care.
Parrearra, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We recently stayed in a Waterfront Villa for our honeymoon for 7 nights. I would recommmend this amazing place to anyone. The villas are beautiful, with our own plunge pool and private access to the beach what more caould you ask for. As there is only 15 villas in the whole resort and no children are allowed, it is very quiet and intimate.
We ate alot at the restaurant and the food and service was always 5 star. Victoria and Frederick are great managers and very attentive.
We also had a full body scrub and massage which was beautiful and relaxing. The sunset cruise and the picnic on the private beach I would highly recommend.
What more can I say but we will definately be back one day and we thank everyone for the best honeymoon anyone could ask for. Thanks !!!! Kim and Jason Lindsay

Room Tip: I would definately recommend the ocean villas !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Kim and Jason
We are so glad you have had a wonderful honeymoon and we look forward to have you staying back at the Havannah. I have passed on your comments to our staff who always appreciate getting their guests' feedback.
Until we meet again, I wish you all the very best for 2013.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Havannah over the Christmas and new year break. The hotel as other reviewers have described is a boutique resort. I would not go as far to say it is luxurious but it is not bad. Others we spoke to who went to other resorts on the island did reaffirm that it is the best resort in Port villa.

We stayed in a lagoon pool villa, which are the same layout as the Garden villas but on the private shared pool. We found the villa fine and most of the time we had the pool to ourselves.

Positives

1.Small and adult only – We did not want a resort that had children. The other thing was during the day you did not see anyone. You did see familiar faces at breakfast and dinner, but not generally around the resort. Therefore in our case we had the pool and beach areas to ourselves a lot of the time. You have you own space to relax and spend time together.

2. Staff – all the staff went out of their way to help and provide you what ever you wanted

3. Beach area – The beach itself, whilst small was great. Not many people used the beach when we were there, so most of the time we had the beach to ourselves. Others we spoke to said a lot of the other resorts beach areas were coral and not sand.

4. Food and Restaurant – we found the food to be excellent. Breakfast was good, albeit not alot of selection, but they would make up anything you wanted. We ate dinner at the resort every night apart from one. Each meal we had was excellent and could not be faulted. As other reviewers have said, I thought there would be more seafood options as well. An example would be a seafood platter.

5. Location – we thought the location was great. It is isolated but that was a good thing for us. In fact we only left the resort twice, once to the shops and another time for a restaurant. It is about 20 to 30 mins from Port Vila via the hotel bus

6. Spa – great massage !

Negatives

1. Value for money – I don’t think it was particularly good value for money. Why I say this is, I think for the price you pay you should receive the little extras in attention and detail. Let’s face it, we paid $400 AUD a night and still had to carry our own bags to reception on arrival. When we arrived we were dropped off at the top of the footpath leading to reception and then left there. Nothing said and no one around. First impressions count and this was not a good one. Maybe they should consider investing in a hotel luggage trolley that guest could leave their bags on so they could be bought to reception. Also maybe a seat at the drop off point/pick up point for the hotel bus so you did not have to sit on the ground when waiting for the driver.

2. Transport – the transport from the airport to the hotel was arranged by the hotel and this was serviced by Adventures in paradise. As the name suggest the trip to the hotel was an adventure. We referred to the trip as the Vanuatu roller coaster. If fact at times it was a little scary at the speed he was going. We were not the only ones that mentioned this, maybe Fredrick and Victoria should say something to the operators as it does not paint a nice picture as a first impression.

3. Air-conditioning – whilst the air is very welcome and necessary with the humidity, they are bloody noisy, particularly at night when there is no other noises. After a couple of days you get use to it, but it was noisy to start with. It was just not our unit as they all made the same noise.

4. Views – with the lagoon villas, one of the best spots to lay and relax was in the shallow entry area to the lagoon pool out the front of each villa. The problem was that the two fixed covered umbrellas in the main pool block the view. Therefore you end up look at a latched roof.

5. Lack of tour information – whilst we are not really into the touristy stuff, we did go across to tranquility island to snorkel. There was no information in the rooms or at reception with regards to tours etc. The only way to find out is to ask, but Victoria did tell us they are in the process of putting together a compendium with all the info. This would be a great addition. We were a little disappointed when we did book our snorkeling tour that were not told anything. We thought it was just a beach, but is was actually tranquility dive resort and turtle sanctuary. This was a welcome surprised but, as we did not know, we did not take any money. It was ashamed as we would have like to sponsored a turtle or two.

Overall we were happy with the resort, albeit we thought there could be some extra touches that would make it that little more special. Frederick did say they are in the process of doing a few things like building a new boat shed and over time I am sure the resort will get better.

Room Tip: If choosing a lagoon Villa, ask for with 6,8 to 10. The views will be less obstructive from these vi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Barneyridge
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review and thank you for your suggestions. I will organise for a bench to be set up at the bus drop off, it is a great idea and I do not believe I did not think of it myself.
We have contacted the airport operator and passed on your comments, requesting them to ensure their drivers slow down and we will monitor them closely.
I am surprised at the air conditioning being noisy as they are serviced every month, however I will have all the villas units checked.
I know and agree about the view of the thatched roofs however if I lower them, guests will hurt their head and if I remove them, guests will have no shade.
I have also spoken to our receptionist as they obviously did not gave you the introduction to the resort on arrival which encompass all the relevant information and activities whilst we are waiting for the activity book to be printed. Even when we have them, I will still insist that in coming guests are given a complete introduction to the resort.
I do hope we will have the pleasure to have you staying back at the Havannah. All the very best for 2013.
Canberra
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Havannah for 5 nights from 27 November 2012. On arrival we were made very welcome and settled in quickly to our lovely garden villa. We were hoping to have a restful few days but as active people we still wanted the balance of peace and quiet with the option to participate in other things as needed. The balance was perfect, we got the rest we had hoped for in absolutely beautiful surrounds in a lovely villa while still doing more active things like snorkelling, paddling, walking (too hot to run), chess, tennis, massage and the odd cocktail or two (thanks Fil).

We had meal's in The Havannah's amazingly beautiful restaurant (all breakfasts and dinner) and were treated to wonderfully prepared and delicious meals including an amazingly freshly caught lobster on the final night. Fredrick and his staff always subtly checked to ensure we were getting everything we wanted including information on getting to the local village and travelling to Port Vila and things to do and see (even though there was lots to do at the Havannah). All in all we had a wonderful time and fondly cherish the days we stayed.

The Havannah is in a magical location, run by the friendliest people you could meet and our holiday in Vanuatu was everything we could have expected. Thanks "The Havannah", wish we stayed longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rod B
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Rob B
It was indeed a pleasure to have you and your partner staying with us at the Havannah. I do agree myself that I am blessed with very friendly staff and they care about the well being of our guests, which as you know make my job so much easier. I have passed on your comments to our staff and to Phil, who does make mean cocktails! I hope we will see you again soon. In the meantime, my team and I wish you both a great 2013.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for a week in a Waterfront Villa everything was beyond expectation. If you are looking for a secluded relaxing holiday then The Havannah is perfect. The staff are extremely friendly and really make you feel welcome. The villas are very clean and the resort is safe. The beach is perfect. Would go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Would highly recommend the Waterfront Villa - you open the doors to your infinity plunge pool and th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Allison D
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Allison D
I started at the end of May 2012 at the Havannah and may not have been there went you stayed with us. In any case, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have taken the time to write a review on your experience. We would love to have you back with us and for you to see some on the improvement we have made to the property.
In the meantime, I wish you a great start to 2013 and hope to welcome you at the Havannah.