“Excellent Havannah” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Havannah, Vanuatu

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Havannah, Vanuatu
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
Bathurst, Australia
“Excellent Havannah”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had the best time ever at the Havannah. 5 nights of bliss and we didnt want to leave. The staff were extremely friendly, and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We would recommend this location to any honeymooners or couples looking for a slice of paradise.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Matt
Thank you for your comments and thank you both for the letter you left me behind which I have shared with all the staff concerned. We were very happy to read that we exceeded all your expectation for your honeymoon, and we hope to see you again for your first anniversary. In the meantime, enjoy your new life together.
Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I took my partner to The Havannah to propose to her. The setting was perfect, they have a little table at the end of a pier which you can have dinner on. With the gorgeous sunset, still, calm waters and light breeze off the water, I couldn't have imagined a more perfect setting.

The resort was amazing. Fantastic attention to detail, so beautifully furnished throughout the room and guest areas and the whole resort was so well manicured.
The General manager was attentive and always checking to ensure everything was okay.
We really appreciated the personal touch and being approached in the gardens, by the pool, whilst having breakfast just to say hello and see if everything was okay, his presence made a world of difference. He was really friendly, relaxed and very approachable. Seeing him all around the resort my fiancée kept commenting on how he was the hardest working hands on resort manager we had ever seen.

The resort beach was beautiful and had private plontoons to swim out to and sun bake on. Snorkeling was fantastic and the gear was top quality. (Obviously new, based on previous reviews)

My only real issue was the lack of Internet access. The evidence for the need of more accessible Internet was by the number of guests at breakfast and before dinner with laptops, iPads, mobile phones all trying to acces the internet. The only wifi hotspot was in the main guest area and everyone was feeding off the same very weak signal, further reducing the bandwidth making this very frustrating.
I understand lack of Internet may reduce the opportunity to do work whilst on holidays, however I find trawling the internet, reading online articles, papers and even planning the next holiday or researching what to do on the island is something that relaxes me.
It would have been great to have wifi access in the room and by the pool. Especially when my fiancee's head is buried in a book.
It would have also been nice if there was a phone at the lower pool to allow to order drinks/ service by the lower pool. Because the lower pool wasn't used much, there was no one attending the pool bar. I can understand these resources are better used around the resort and having someone constantly manning the pool bar would be an inefficient cost, but if there was an intercom/phone service where guests at the pool bar could order drinks from the main bar, I don't doubt this would increase food and beverage sales.
Other than those little things, the stay was fantastic.
The cocktails and food were excellent. Great value for money. Would love to return as part of our honeymoon.

Room Tip: We had the garden view room. This was secluded and very private. The pool wasn't far away and be...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Havannah. You will be glad to know that your wish will be granted as we are in the process of rewiring the whole resort and provide Wi-Fi access to all villas as well as the Point Restaurant. This work should be completed by the end of December and if we do not encounter any technical glitches, you will be able to surf the net whilst your wife will be busy with her book! The pool communication will be addressed at the same time. Let us know when you are coming back on honeymoon, as it will be our pleasure to welcoming you back at the Havannah.
NSW Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Havannah, where do I start. We wanted to go somewhere special for our wedding anniversary - warm, tropical, no children and not too far away as we only had 6 days. I decided on Vanuatu because it is only 3.5 hours away from Sydney, I then had to work out where to stay.
After checking out the net and advice from reviews on Tripadvisor it came down to 2 , I decided on the Havannah and boy were we impressed!!!!

Transfer from the airport was smooth and comfortable and took about 25mins. The resort is set on the northern end of Efate away from the town of Port Villa. It is very quiet so if you are looking to party and be entertained with fire dancing or other "cultural" shows the Havannah is not for you. The no children policy suited us down to the ground and by the conversations we had with others staying there it was also one of the main attractions.
The garden view villa that we had (No 1) was perfect - large and beautifully appointed.(see attached photos). The housekeeping staff were discrete but so very friendly and with a wonderful sense of humour!

The setting and position of the resort was amazing - we couldn't believe our eyes when we first arrived. The water is a vivid blue and crystal clear. The beach area was clean and sandy but there is coral lying around so you do have to wear protective footwear.

Breakfast was included in our stay and if there is one thing that could be improved upon it is here. The cooked breakfasts do not come up to the 5 star standard that one normally expects - it appears that eggs are not the chefs specialty which ever way you have them and we tried them all! The coffee, tea, juices, fresh fruit were great, the cereals- nothing special and the pastry basket lacking in quality - it did the job however.
The evening meals on the other hand were of top quality and very reasonably priced ( nothing above A$34). We enjoyed everything we had although some more fish would have been nice and a cheese selection on the desert menu would have been a nice touch. The wait staff were wonderful, they always remembered your name and their smiles were a delight.

The manager Frederick was impressive. He greeted his guests each morning, even took breakfast orders and was most helpful with arranging tours or activities and even drove us a couple of kilometers one night to eat at another restaurant! ( there is no public transport)

There is no more to say except that if you want something really special - do yourself a favour and spoil yourself at this beautiful , relaxing and unspoiled paradise

1 Thank hanna24NSWAustralia
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Hanna
Thank you for this excellent review of our resort and for taking the time to write it. I was so surprise to read about the eggs not being cooked properly as Isabelle, my breakfast chef normally makes ta very good breakfast. I will speak with her and see how we can improve or where she had found difficulties. I wish you would have told me and I could have ensure your eggs were as you liked them. Anyway, now I know and I will act on it, so that on your next visit, breakfast will be a highlight of your day, as it should have been.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Havannah.
Kind regards to you both
new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

About 10 years ago we spent a week in a resort close to Port Vila which was very average. Since then we have enjoyed many trips to Fiji staying at a number of different 4 and 5 star island resorts. The Trip Advisor reports for The Havannah took my eye and we decided to venture back to Vanuatu. We certainly were pleasantly surprised with this beautiful resort. A peaceful, tranquil location, superbly appointed and presented room (pool access villa) with our own little beach and infinity pool shared by 4 or 5 other villas, providing unobstructed views to the crystal clear ocean. The food was excellent with "specials" to give some variety to the meny each evening. I think if we stayed longer perhaps the menu would have been a little restricted - so more on the specials board would be good. We only stayed 5 nights, as we moved to Eratap to see what that was like, (see that review) but would certainly return to The Havannah. Snorkeling was very good too! We will return!

Room Tip: The rool access villas are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank easehours
I was glad to read that there have been some positive change to Vanuatu in the last 10 years, and that you made it back, finding us at the Havannah. We do change menu seasonally and we appreciate it may be a little restricting after a few days, which is the reason of the special. We also will try to cook anything you would like, if we have the ingredients and the know how, we only need a little notice and we do put guests' suggestion on the Special for other to enjoy. In any case, I thank you for your review and comments and look forward to seeing you again at the Havannah, before you return to Eratap,and not in 10 years, I hope.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Havannah for the first part of our honeymoon and it was beautiful! I had done so much Internet searching to find the right place and I did! The room was lovely, the atmosphere Friendly, the staff so helpful, food was delicious and the views magnificent. We had a pool villa which was awesome. If you want a romantic luxury honeymoon in paradise then this is the place! We stayed in port Vila on our return from Tanna and while it was nice it did not compare to the Havannah in any way.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Jill
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments about the Havannah. I trust you did enjoy your trip to Tanna which is an awesome experience. I have passed on your comments to our staff and they all look forward to welcoming you both at the Havannah. In the meantime, enjoyed your newly married life and have the best time.
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our fourth visit to The Havannah. It is relaxing, clean and beautiful. We stayed in the lagoon rooms which are not the most expensive but are the best.

The staff really make this place. The are all natives of Vanuatu and are so friendly and extremely well trained. They greet you by name on every occasion and are so willing to help.

This is one of my favourite resorts in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us at the Havannah and I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future. I am a strong believer that staff make a resort and after your 4th visit, I am sure they made you feel as old friends coming back.
Until we meet again, I wish you both, all the best.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Havannah is an awesome place.

Its in a great spot on the bay, where you can sip a cocktail watch the sunset and see dolphins jumping. Some of the highlights include having dinner at the end of the pier, a very special affair, or down on the beach by the fire they make nightly. The whole place is setup for views and relaxation, there are kayaks, and snorkels or if you prefer just laze by the pool on the awesome longers or 4 poster beds.

Highlight of the trip was the evening sunset cruise which, sailing around in the bay and enjoying this very unique place.

Recommended for couples who just want to get away from it all for a few days.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Richard
Thank you so much for your review of the Havannah. We missed each other by a few weeks as I arrived at the end of May to take on the leadership of the resort. In any case, it is good to read that you had a grand time with the resort and you enjoyed the facilities we provide. The sunset cruise is definitely something to do when staying at the resort, as it is a beautiful way to end the day.
I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Havannah.