“Stunning location”

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Brisbane, Australia
“Stunning location”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 7 nights at The Havannah and loved every minute. It is a beautiful location with white sandy beach and beautiful clear water. Snorkelling is quite good from far side of the resort past the kayaks to the next jetty. The managers Victoria & Frederick make you feel very welcome as do all the staff. Everybody from the groundsmen, the housekeepers, restaurant staff and reception were always smiling and friendly and always willing to help.We stayed in Waterfront Villa 15 which we found to be very private and comfortable with plunge pool and great views. Food was excellent with specials each night to vary the regular menu and there wasn't one meal that we didn't enjoy. We did the full day Lelepa Island tour on Victoria's recommendation and loved every minute especially the snorkeling where they feed the fish. Some of the best coral we have ever seen. This holiday was everything we hoped for plus more!
Our only real critiscism was the resort snorkeling gear which is poor quality and a lot of it was broken or faulty which made for a lot of time wasted going back and forth trying to find gear that was ok to use. They also have reef shoes for you to use because of the possibility of stonefish but these could be hard to get the right size so would suggest bringing your own as these can be handy at other times such as visiting the Mele Cascades (last bit before the waterfall can be tricky without them, thongs no good.)
Rosemary & Glenn

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rosejane25
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Rosemarie and Glenn
I am grateful for your review of the Havannah and I am glad you have a great relaxing time with us. I agree with you that our snorkeling gear are in need to be changedas they have had a fair usage. I have been looking for replacement and I cannot fing anything stuitable in Port Vila and will have to source overseas, which may take some time however we will upgrade this equipement. We will also be building a little water sport area where it will be easier to maintain and monitior the equipment.
We look forward to having you back at the Havannah and remember that we are only a short flight away. Kind regards

Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
mdkohn
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at The Havannah beginning August 3. It is as beautiful as the photos and the service was amazing. We stayed in room 17. The views and gardens are fabulous. We felt very private, as well. Frederick and Victoria made us feel like we were very fortunate guests on their own private property. We could mingle with the other guests or be as private as we liked. We did the trip to Lelepa which was a highlight. We thoroughly enjoyed the food every night and saw no need to eat elsewhere. We loved the sashimi tuna and requested it an additional night. We would love to come back and felt so privileged to stay there and to meet Victoria and Frederick. We highly recommend a stay here! Also, Sael, the taxi driver was extremely helpful. We did a one day tour with him that was very nice, especially enjoyed his company and sense of humour.

Mollie & Dan

Room Tip: Every room seemed very nice. We were in 17 which had a private pool and ocean view.
1 Thank mdkohn
Dear Mollie and Dan
It is always a pleasure to know that my guests have had a great time at the Havannah, and it is nice that you felt as our guests into our own home. We want our guests to feel that they can relaxed and enjoy their time in Vanuatu and not be scared to ask anything of us to ensure we can provide them with a memorable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on our little square of paradise. Kind regards

italy
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have not slept in this hotel but I have tried his restaurant and spent some hours on his magnificent beach. I have to say it is the best location I have seen in the wonderful Efate environment if you like to swim in a clear and transparent water with white sand.
It is not the top of location for snorkeling but you can access easily the nearby island with boat.
Restaurant offers a very good menu with a wide choice of fish and meat dishes. We are here, as for the rooms, on an upscale level, with consequent high prices.
The ambiance is very elegant and relaxing but the it could seem a bit cold, without the personality of other small hotels here. I haven't seen the rooms but I imagine they are at a top level considering also the prices.
Anyway a very classy place in an outstanding location.

1 Thank lionitaly
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Tommaso
We have had many guests who like you have come for lunch at the Havannah, and who enjoyed it so much that they made a booking to stay with us on their next visit. The villas are well appointed and very confortable indeed.
I am glad that you enjoyed the restaurant and the beach destination, and we do hope that on your next visit to Efate, you will also come and stay to enjoy the peaceful tranquility of the Havannah Bay.
Kind regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are enjoying our stay at havannah so much, apparently the new management team, took over a short while ago, everyone says how much better it is, , all I know is that we are here now , the resort is beautiful , it's great for grown ups, food & service are excellent.it's a little out from port Vila , but, I like that, they also build a lot of activities into your package, so if you want to recharge your batteries, rekindle your love life or just have. A good time, go to havannah

Room Tip: Pay the small extra & get the room with the pool at your doorstep
1 Thank osca123
Dear Osca123
Thank you for writing a review of the Havannah. It gave me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and have "rekindle your love life" whislt partaking in many other activites.I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back soon at the Havannah. We are only 3 hours away from Sydney, so when you need a quick relax fix, come and see us!
All the very best

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in February. We had a beachside fare which was huge with our own private plunge pool! Our package was to include all meals and the food was excellent. We were quite disappointed with the managers however, who returned midweek from their holiday. During our first few days we were enjoying all courses on the menu and were not told otherwise. The manager brought to our attention that we were only allowed 3 courses from the menu, even though there was nothing written about this, either on our paperwork from our travel agent or on the menu. Considering we were already 4 days into our 7 day holiday, we thought that it would have been better service for her to have let it ride but she was most insistent, even when we pointed out that the deal should have been clearer and in writing. We felt she was quite rude in her dealings with us. I contacted our travel agent for clarity on the issue and the manageress got very annoyed at this (and let it show). Also, one morning as we arrived for breakfast in the dining area, the manager was quite publicly admonishing the wait staff about something, and we thought this should have been done somewhere private. We had no problems with Vanuatuan staff, who were absolutely wonderful. The free sunset cruise is fantastic but very slow if there is no wind. The day trip to the other island is well worth it too. The only other fault we could find was the apparent presence of stone fish, which means you have to wear reef shores always on the beach, a bit annoying, although we never saw one. We wonder if it's just precautionary cos we've been to other parts of Vanuatu without this being an issue.

Room Tip: We looked at the other room types and they all look excellent, they are quite private and have lovel...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kazzas-Kapers
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Kazzas-Kaper
A lot of water has flown into the Havannah bay since February and many things have changed. For one, there is a new General Manager at the Havannah since May, and as you would have seen from the overall comments since, the resort mood is changing.
The stone fish do exist in Vanuatu like in any tropical water around the Paciifc. There are no more or less in our waters however we prefer to be cautious, as the saying goes better safe than sorry. In any case, after 3 years of operations, we have had to only treat one case of stone fish sting and this was in the very early days. I trust we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back at the Havannah and I guarantee you that there are no more restriction on meal plans.
Kiind regards
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Havannah is nothing less then a piece of heaven on earth. The new managers, Frederick and Victoria, instantly make you feel like one of their own, like you're at home. Every day starts with the bright smiles and greetings of the wonderful staff.

Set on a beautiful beach, overlooking Lelepa and Moso islands (where you can be taken for a pic nic one day), its location is perfect. The Havannah offers complimentary transfers to Port Vila twice a day (30 mins drive). Some of the most beautiful spots on the island are a short drive away (The Summit Gardens, the Mele Cascades) It is just far enough from the bustling areas to enjoy the true meaning of the word "holiday".

The food they serve in their restaurant is divine (it is heaven here after all); fresh, varied, combining local products with worldwide specialties. And their pastry chef is... well let's just say you will be begging for more!

As you enjoy a drink at the end of your last day, gazing at the sunset over Havannah Harbour, you might feel like me, upset about leaving this place and will only be comforted by the fact that... it will still be there next year!

I spent a week there and enjoyed every bit of it.
I wish you the same!

Catherine

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Catherine H
Dear Catherine
The team and I would like to thank you for this lovely review of our resort. As you have pointed out, we will be there to welcome you back next year, and to provide you with another slice of heaven from the pastry chef! You know that you are always welcome at the Havananah.
Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Simply superb! My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon in March 2012 for 3 nights and it was absolutely perfect. Because we went in the off peak season we had the place almost entirely to ourselves. We splashed out and got the Waterfront Villa - which was gorgeous! The bathtub was huge and we had our own private deck complete with a day bed and plunge pool (just in case we got tired of swimming in the pristine turquoise ocean just a few meters from our deck). There was also a lovely swimming pool perfect for lazy afternoons in the sun. If you want to go into town the hotel provides a free shuttle bus service, but remember the shops are closed for lunch during the middle of the day so plan your activities carefully. I didn't get a chance to use the spa facilities, but if they're anything like the rest of the hotel I'm sure they'll be top class.

The restaurant was beautiful. Words cannot describe how delicious the food was. It was better than anything I've eaten in Australia and there was a great range to choose from. We got the full board package which includes all your meals, but it's worth noting that this package does have restrictions. Things like garlic bread, dessert and certain dishes aren't included. Our travel agent failed to explain this to us when we bought the package, but the owner Tish was extremely understanding and went out of her way to fix it. Having said that, you do get a LOT of food for your money so it's excellent value. And even though it's not included in the full board package you HAVE to try the souffle at least once, although I should warn you it's very addictive. The view from the restaurant was nothing short of spectacular - we saw some amazing sunsets and the bay is frequented by dolphins and turtles. You can choose to sit inside the restaurant itself, on the manicured lawn, on the beach, or for special occasions you can book the private pontoon which has a glass floor so you can see the fish swimming underneath you. Very romantic!

Now, for the staff. The front desk staff were very welcoming and helped us book taxis, activities etc in a fast and professional manner. The waiters gave us five star treatment the whole time we were there. They were friendly, attentive and efficient, going out of their way to provide excellent service. The chefs were beyond amazing. The food was always cooked to perfection, beautifully presented, and served in a timely manner. I never saw the staff who did the cleaning and laundry, but the room was always spotless and we never had to use a wet towel or sleep on an unmade bed. They tidy everything while you have breakfast and turn down your room while you have dinner. The turn down staff also made cute little animals out of the beach towels, which was adorable. Whoever looks after the gardens, pools etc also does an incredible job. I swear it's like they vacuum the grass because there's hardly ever a leaf out of place. And lastly, the owner Tish was a joy to deal with. She was so friendly and knowledgable about the area. It's obvious she takes great pride in her hotel and customer satisfaction is her number one priority. The staff at The Havannah were the best of all the places we stayed at!

I don't really have anything negative to say about our stay at The Havannah. It's hard to improve on perfection! The only itsy bitsy thing was the snorkelling gear provided could've been better quality. The flippers were just flimsy plastic and the snorkel leaked so I ended up with a mouthful of water every time I inhaled. The staff were very helpful and gave us a different set to use, but the second set was pretty much the same. Apart from that one tiny detail everything else was perfect! If you're looking for "the perfect honeymoon accomodation" this is it. My husband and I have the most treasured memories of our stay at The Havannah and hopefully we'll be able to visit again sometime soon.

Room Tip: The Waterfront Villas are perfect for honeymooners wanting a luxurious and private setting.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eileen R
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Eileen
Your review of our resort is greatly appreciated even so I cannot take any credit for it as I was not there at the time. Tish, the previous GM who took great care of you as moved on and I have taken the helm of the Havannah at the end of May. However a lot of the staff who did make your honeymoon special are still with the Havannah and I will make sure they get a copy of your review, as they are the important factor of the overall experience. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you at the Havannah, again soon.