Chez Troppo is the sort of place that makes you wonder why you ever bothered with one of the big resorts in the first place.
My husband and 20 month old son recently had the pleasure of staying for a week in the “Sunset Bungalow” and, having previously spent a week ‘Resorting’ across the lagoon, our experience at Chez Troppo exceeded every expectation.
Firstly, the accommodation is bordered on either side by Erakor Village and Erakor Lagoon …. it really is an experience in itself to be surrounded by a beautiful village full of friendly locals on one side and to have the panorama of Erakor Island / Lagoon right at your doorstep on the other. As Chez Troppo is situated on the very fringe of the village itself, you get to experience first hand how the locals harness every aspect of the lagoon’s features for their way of life – whether it be fishing, outrigging, or just the local children playing on the shoreline or spearing crabs and fish with their home made spear guns.
Owner and ‘host with the most’, Archie, went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Not only did he pick us up from our previous accommodation and run us into town for groceries, he dropped us off at the airport on departure. Archie has a wealth of information to share about Vanuatu, the people and their way of life and was happy to stop by for an unobtrusive chat. He also took time out to give us a bit of a tour ‘around town and beyond’, including an adventurous drive through to a picture post card bay. If you do stay at Chez Troppo, ask Archie to let you in on Vila’s “best kept secret”!
Erakor Island is a short boat ride away (a few times we begged a ride on the worker’s tinny), or you can paddle across on one of the canoes that is available free of charge from Chez Troppo. From there you can ferry across to the ‘mainland’ and it’s just a 150 vatu bus ride into town. The easiest option to get into town though is to walk straight into the village and catch one of the many buses, again for 150 vatu. They are a fun way to get around town and beyond – cheap, cheerful and charming.
As for the accommodation itself, our Sunset Bunglaow was more than comfortable, with all mod cons – washing machine – dvd player and supply of movies, full size fridge, utensils, cutlery, BBQ, even a little library for you to kick back and read on your balcony or lounger by the shoreline. The décor is modern and tasteful and has a real “island” feel to it. Because you have a fully equipped kitchen you can save heaps of $$ by doing your own cooking. Supermarkets are well stocked with everything you need (meat in Vanuatu is especially good), and the “Mother Hubbard” Market is a fun way to buy your fruit and veg. Our rooms were serviced pretty much daily by the lovely housegirl, Sarah. She would put fresh flowers in our bungalow every day, which was delightful … one day we counted 26 hibiscus!
All in all, our time at Chez Troppo was a fabulous experience. We had a bit of bad luck with the weather, but we still got out and about to the Cascades, Hideaway Island, etc (all accessible by bus – you just stand on the side of the road and hail one until you get one that is heading your way!). We will certainly be back to Vanuatu one day and Chez Troppo is where we will be!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine waking up to this ?? A picture postcard! Swim ....snorkle....kayak....or just kick back! Three recently built,boutique styled residential, waterfront villas. Stylishly, fully furnished, with expansive self-catering kitchen. Spectacular sunsets, gentle ocean breezes with exceptional island views."Troppo Mystique's" friendly boutique styled,private short & long term residential accommodation, is nestled on a sensational aquamarine lagoon, amidst picturesque tropical gardens.Only 10 mins from Port Villa. A gorgeous slice of paradise - doesn't get better than this! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Troppo Mystique reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chez Troppo Hotel Port Vila
- Troppo Mystique Vanuatu/Port Vila