“Eratap Dream”

Eratap Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I have just returned from 7 days at the Eratap Resort with my wife and three children aged seven, six and three.

We had a wonderful time and can't recommend it highly enough.

The rooms were excellent and compared well other much larger five star resorts we have stayed in. Our two hut villa had two very separate bedrooms and bathrooms so we were not under each others feet at all. There were fans and a split system air con in each bedroom but they were not really necessary if you opened the windows and let the sea breeze in. We were in villa ten, which is the last non-honeymoon villa in the strip and is closest to the lovely pool and had its own private beach on the point. I reckon this was the best room as it gave us sea breezes from two sides at night and fantastic privacy.

The food was excellent. My wife and I do not like seafood so were dreading a heavily skewed menu but there was plenty of non-seafood choices. There were always two daily specials and all but once on our trip there was a non-seafood choice here as well. The meals themselves were excellent and couldn't be faulted - and we have walked out of resorts before because of bad or even average food.

The resort is very quiet with only twelve villas so if a relaxing trip is your goal you can't beat it. You could mingle with the other guests at the restaurant or by the pool if you wanted to or else hide away in your villa and private beach and keep to yourself.

There was always two activities each day and they were always worthwhile. While ostensibly around half were meant as things to entertain the kids by themselves, they were fun enough for you to tag along and enjoy as well. Our kids were a bit young to send off by themselves anyway so we accompanied them on all the activities they went on and had a great time too.

The staff were very friendly and most importantly (to me) genuine locals. We have stayed in some island resorts and felt we hardly met any actual locals, but here most of the staff come from the nearby village. They were all very friendy and wonderful to deal with.

We both enjoyed a couple of massages in the spa and my little girls had free manicures as one of the activities. Probably the nicest hotel spa I have been to and I endorse the other comments here about Annie.

Special mention goes to the owners, Tony and Louisa, and the manager Pascale. Lousia gave us the rundown and showed us to our room and Pascale was always there to sort out anything we wanted. I thought it was pretty impressive. Also Mac, the local chief's son who leads the activities was a great guide and full of great info on the locals.

One of the activities was to visit the village where we met many of the staff's families and this is definitely recommended, both as a cultural experience and to see the benefits the resort has brought to the area. On the day we left the village had invited the guests to attend church with them and this is something I regret not having the chance to do.

Our children were made to feel very welcome from the start. The restaurant has a very good kids menu that my children actually enjoyed and the staff were all very good with them at all times. There is a small library of books, a very large collection of dvds to borrow for free and a couple of boxes of toys and board games for them as well, so there was plenty to do if they were bored. The restaurant and reception also had free wifi and all the kids were using ipads or ipods around the lounge when we were there.

I am a casual snorkeller and went of a few trips to the various islands. The trips to the island was good but the best range of fish I found was on the reef directly in front of the restaurant, literally twenty metres from the bar. Half an hour in the water and then a restful ale. Very nice indeed and especially rare as most resorts I have been to I have had to travel by boat to another location to find any decent snorkelling.

Port Vila was very close by and you could get there easily for free in the resort bus. It is very basic and there is very little worthwhile shopping. Some great soap in one store and one or two nice local arts and crafts stores but the rest were junk stores and expensive duty free. It is hot and sweaty and not the cleanest place in the world but we loved the experience and wouldn't have missed it. We did the whole main strip in ninety minutes with time for two sit down ice creams, so don't dedicate a whole lot of time to your visit.

In summary I loved it and can't recommend it highly enough. Great location, great food, great people and a great standard of accomodation. One of the other families staying there were back for their second visit and being so close to Sydney I can easily see us going back again soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 30, 2010

We travelled to Eratap with our 4 children aged from 10 to 16. The resort was a peaceful paradise for all family members. There were ample activities if you were feeling energetic and plenty of peaceful areas to relax and unwind. The food was a highlight. I have never eaten so decadently for 6 days straight in my life. We did not tire of the regular menu as we were constantly ordering the amazing daily specials; lobster, mussels and prawns were abundant. Each morning as we ate breakfast we could watch the local fisherman catching fish. My husband and I chose the meal plan which was worth while. We found the prices including alcohol to be very reasonable considering the high quality. I would highly recommend Annie at the spa for an excellent massage. She also gave my daughters a lovely manicure. Reef shoes are essential as the shoreline is surrounded in coral. Aeroguard is also necessary 24/7. The ocean was beautiful and warm for swimming and snorkeling. The staff were very accommodating and polite. They were not intrusive but always available when you needed them. Each morning you are given your current room account to check over and correct which we found very convenient, no nasty surprises on check out! We travelled into Port Vila one morning, which we found hot, dirty and uninviting. There was no great shopping although worth going to the open food market for the cultural experience. There is no need to leave Eratap Resort during your visit, our children were not bored or looking to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank EnjoyTravelNow
Reviewed November 29, 2010

What a fabulous place! You feel like your staying with long lost friends. From the moment we met Robert at the airport we knew we were in for the best holiday we have ever had. (He is such an asset to the resort so much local knowledge and history at your fingertips!)
I would like to commend all the fantastic staff that we met during our stay Andre (thanks for the coconut) Clifford (always smiling) Carlos, Steven, Clifford, Jenny and Yvonne and the rest of the gang.
We stayed for 7 nights for our honeymoon in Villa 12. Plunge pool, beautiful views and privacy! What a serene part of the world. I would not choose to stay anywhere else when we go back to Vanuatu.
The meals at the restaurant were fantastic. We looked forward to breakfast every morning. If we went back again i would opt for the meal plan as none of the other restaurants we dined at compared to the quality of Eratap.
The entertainment was great. Looked forward to the daily activities board always something interesting.
Nothing at all was too much trouble for any of the staff. To my delight one evening upon commenting on the coconuts i was served up one with a straw :)
We visited the Eratap Village Church on the Sunday and were in awe of all the beautiful colours of the women's handmade dresses and all those beautiful little smiling faces of the curious children in the pews in front.
Upon arrival in Port Vila I was quite taken aback at the living conditions but after a tour of Eratap Village you come to realise that maybe we have it all wrong. Always a smiling face just around the corner. Everyone but the road workers waved at us on our trip around the island.
Can't wait to go back (Hopefully for a 1 year anniversary :) )
I would have to say that we have definately found a special place...that place that you have fond memories of always and long to return to.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

The Eratap beach resort near the village of the same name is about 30min by car from Port Villa. It is on an idilic private tropical peninsular with just a small number of individual cabins. We were met at the airport and driven to Eratap by resort staff. Don't fret about what some people have written about the road, we expected trouble but it was no big deal.

The staff are super friendly, the atmosphere relaxed. We organised SCUBA diving on two days, one at the resort and the other elsewhere. We also used the pool, the restaurant, massages, kayaks (do this!!), speed boats for picnics, the play ground, and several of the organised group activities.

I believe children are only welcome part of the year but when they are welcome they are made very welcome. Ours were almost two and almost four.

If you need somewhere to unwind, try Eratap.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank MrWilliamBlake
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by staying at Eratap Beach Resort on the island of Vanuatu. The resort, staff and service were all superb. I can't say enough positive things about the whole place. It is peaceful and yet lots to do if you want. Food and service is like being at a 4-5 star restaurant. The staff can't do enough for you.

I highly recommend it to everyone. The island is very interesting and is a postcard for what a South Pacific Island would look like.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

I cannot believe how lucky we were to have found Eratap Beach Resort!!!! My husband & I have just returned from a 7 night stay to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anninversary. We stepped off the plane to the sounds of a Vanuatu band playing Island music and the huge smile of Robert, the mini-bus driver, who was waiting to take us to the Resort. Along the way Robert chatted and gave us tips and information and pointed out places of interest along the way. I had heard about the bumpy road and expected the worst but Robert knows the road like the back of his hand and seemed to miss nearly every pot hole along the way. The fact that the road leading up to the resort is bumpy shouldn't matter in the slightest, as the place you arrive at is well worth the trip. The Resort is absolutely beautiful in every way. Our Villa was very clean, well appointed and very comfortable with amazing views of the ocean. It was lovely to lay in bed and fall asleep to the sound of the rolling waves of the ocean.

The food at the restaurant was excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner and we found ourselves excited about what we were going to try next. We were never disappointed. The staff at the Restaurant were also amazing. Andre, Clifford, Jenny and Yvonne were always there to ensure you had everything you needed and were always friendly & polite.
We also thoroughly enjoyed the Friday night bon fire on the beach toasting mashmellows and the Wednesday night entertainment by a local island band.

Tony and Louisa, the owners, were also always on hand and were friendly and most helpful. Their dream of building a 5 star resort at Eratap has certainly been achieved. Pascal and Mary the reception staff were also lovely.

The Resort was quiet, relaxing and a perfect place to get away from our busy city life. We did go into Port Vila on the mini bus from the resort to do some shopping which was interesting. We also went kayaking on the lagoon, out for a picnic to deserted Castaway Island and had a relaxing massage in the Day Spa. The main and highlights of our stay were going on a Buggy ride through the villages and visiting Eratap Village with two locals, Paulo & Mac. It was amazing to see their village and how they live. Everyone we met in the village was smiling and cheerful and the children were just gorgeous. The rest of the time we swam in the stunning pool and relaxed on the lounges by the beach.

Eratap Beach Resort is the ultimate destination for complete relaxation & indulgence and I cannot wait to return.

2  Thank LorelleP
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Just back from 8 days in Vanuatu, the last 4 at Eratap. As there was limited availability in the 10 ocean front villa's, decided to hang the expense and stay in honeymoon villa # 11... best decision ever!!!

It was an amazing villa, right on the penisula with its own private beach, plunge pool and under cover day bed. One night we had dinner there (no extra cost), just the two of us in the most amazing location as the sun set.

The villa's had both outdoor and indoor shower options, I only used the indoor one once!

We took advantage of the free kayaks and headed over to Castaway Is. Awesome snorkelling. We also snorkelled straight out from our own private beach... saw heaps of Nemo's and the greatest vareity of starfish ever!

Food was awesome, fresh, tasty, great variety, no need to go anywhere else to eat. Service was brilliant from all the staff.

Only negative was I did get attacked by mozzies on the first night.... watch out for them sneaking into your villa.

In terms of tours, we stayed at other cheaper places earlier in our stay on Santo & Tanna Islands and enjoyed adventurous tours. While at Eratap we stayed put and enjoyed the place and its surrounds and came home so relaxed...

3  Thank MrsDures