“Amazing Place to Stay - The Staff are Fabulous”

Eratap Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I along with another couple we traveled with have just returned from seven nights in Efate, Vanuatu - five of which were spent at Eratap (the other two at The Havannah) and I cannot sing my praises for Eratap enough. The staff at Eratap simply are amazing. The resort itself is great, but it's the staff's incredibly genuine hope that you enjoy your stay that puts Eratap at the top of my list. Some of them have been here since Eratap opened and you can tell that Tony, the owner, really has pride in his people.

Airport pickup was complimentary and we were greeted immediately upon exiting customs, by Robert - the mostly friendly driver you could ask for. Eratap is about 40 minutes driving from the airport and about 20 minutes from town (add 10/20 minutes for the bumpy road leading up to the resort) so it's perfect if you want to be secluded, yet close to activities. Once we arrived, we were greeted with a welcome cocktail and were given a full rundown of the resort offerings and activities by Pascal - who was incredibly helpful to us our entire stay.

Free activities on offer by the resort:
- Use of snorkeling gear (which wasn't in too bad of shape) and reef shoes. Just find your size and use them your whole stay.
- Use of the two small boats driven by one of their staff. They can take you fishing, boat you out to a snorkel spot, or to one of the two islands across from the resort where you can do a picnic BBQ and snorkel (definitely recommend this!). Just let them know as little or as much in advance as you want. If it's not booked by another guest and the weather is fine - they will take you.
- Kayaks, paddle boards, and surf boards for you to borrow.
- DVD's and books for you to borrow as well as a pool, bocce ball court, and pool table on-site.
- Activities scheduled throughout the day like a guided hike or kayak, village visit, kava tasting, fire show, traditional dancers, etc.

There is a spa onsite and daily massage specials are listed each morning. They can also help you organise any off-resort activities. We did a great diving trip with Big Blue organised by the front desk.

The restaurant was good. Breakfast is included in your rate, but we also had most lunches and dinners there too. They have daily specials which were all great and the steak was fantastic. Service can be a bit slow, but you're on island time anyways...pretty impressive wine list and great cocktails mixed up by our favourite bartender, Rose. Cocktails were about $9.50 each (as opposed to $14 at The Havannah).

We stayed in Villa 10 which has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a plunge pool. It was perfect for two couples. Could also be great for a family (Eratap is child-free except during school holidays). Everything was in great condition and well-maintained. Price came out to be about $395 per couple per night. There are definitely cheaper places to stay, but I thought it was pretty good value in comparison to what we paid at the Havannah ($590/night for a better location and room, but not great service).

I barely have anything negative to say about Eratap - we loved it so much. I suppose the only things that could maybe be improved are maybe to replace some of the worn out snorkeling equipment and to speed up service in the restaurant. Also, the waters can get a bit rough and wavy which can make snorkeling and fishing a bit less enjoyable (as compared to the calm of Havannah Bay), but other than that - we loved it! Would definitely recommend to anyone and hope we return sometime in the future!

Room Tip: Villa 10 has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a plunge pool!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank EstherLily

Reviewed July 20, 2013

There isn't much more I can add as all the reviews are so complimentary and very well-deserved. I think what makes the place special is size of the resort. As there are only 12 villas the staff at Eratap are always available to cater to almost any whim. You get the impression it is a great place to work as the staff are the friendliest and most down to earth you will find anywhere. Also, it's lovely to get to know everyone and by the end of your 3rd night you feel like you are at a fun dinner party when you go to dinner. But there is as much privacy as you want if that is your preference. Nothing is too much trouble at this resort. Another highlight are the activities and entertainment on most days and evenings. We vacationed here with our teenage boys and they loved it but I would love to come back with just my husband next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John D
Reviewed July 19, 2013

this would have had to be the best place we have stayed at, the service,accommodation,facitilies were all excellent, to top it off we were up graded to the honeymoon villa as we had previously had to cancel due to a family crisis, this made for a perfect stay... thanks to all at Eratap

Room Tip: if you can manage it take a honeymoon villa as you get your own private beach & pool
2  Thank mustangnz
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After staying in town this was a breath of fresh air. I traveled with my family, the five of us booked the three bedroom villa with the adjoining lounge room.

Upon arrival we were greeted with cocktails and given an overview of the resort. The beach is incredible, and spans from the restaurant down to the villas. Despite there being 20+ villas the resort was deathly quiet (in the best possible way) you really feel like you have the place to yourself.

The rooms were great with every amenity imaginable and very well styled.

The restaurant was 5 star, We ate there every night and tried something new every night and I was never disappointed. Their cocktail and wine selection was impressive also.

Now unfortunately three of us did get a stomach bug, but it didn't stop us from enjoying our time there immensely.

Whilst we were there we used the resorts canoe's and took ourselves across the bay to the neighboring island and surrounding forest which was such a great experience. To top it off when on the beach outside our villa we discovered a turtle 'nest' and helped resort staff capture about 50 baby turtles that hatched.

The only downside is the trip to and from town, that bumpy dirt road seems to go on.....forever. But luckily Eratap has everything you need at the resort.

I would recommend Eratap to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alex W
Reviewed July 13, 2013

One week at eratap seemed like a month as you slip into blissful restfulness as time begins to pass pleasurably slowly. The setting is one of he most picturesque imaginable and will not disappoint. The staff are the most sincere, polite and helpful I have ever had. They genuinely want you have a great time are pleased to help you do so... They were so pleased when I said I liked a special cocktail I had them prepare. The proximity to great snorkelling is the real treat here and if you are not comfortable on the open sea the resort Lagoon is a VERY fine second option. Because there are so few residents at the resort one feels very much at peace with little if any human traffic. The location is 30 minutes from... well anywhere... so it is terribly quiet. The waves are the only ambient noise you will hear. The fishing at sea is a fun option even if like me you catch none as the experience of motoring through the swell in the morning is a joy in itself. The option to have a lunch bbq on one of the nearby islands was a great choice. where else can you get an entire island to yourself for lunch! The food is exceptional, especially the local fish, poulet, and the beef which is locally produced. One has a private cabana on the beach and a spacious residence. Cocktails by the beach in their fantastic bar/restaurant is one of the real joys here. Wifi was a little mixed at times but it was not hard to download a new book to your kindle when you needed to. So are there any other criticisms? It is had to be critical when reviewing Eretap but at this cost one expects pretty close to perfect so ... there was some very minor wear and tear in the residence and showers were either boiling or cold. Thats it! i really cannot fault this place to any significant degree. Lastly, The daily service of the rooms was faultless and there were very secure. Verdict: I would go back in a heartbeat. Really... This place is perfect.

3  Thank nealq
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What more can be added to what has already been said in others reviews?! Eratap is quite simply perfection!

I also spent a bit of time trolling through Trip Advisor and based on the awards received and ongoing, continuous feedback raving about the resort, made a booking. My partner and I took a week mid-winter break from dreary, cold NZ and split our time between an apartment in Vila itself and Eratap. We should have stayed at Eratap the entire week!!

The excellent service started from the time of booking through to check out. We were picked up by Robert at our apartment in town and during the trip to the resort he gave us background info on the area, the cattle farm, the hibiscus fencing, his village, the resort... friendly and knowledgeable! On arrival, Pascalle talked through all the features as well over a welcome drink and stunning aerial pics of the resort so we were familiar with the layout and where everything was located.

Our room wasn't quite ready so we took advantage of having lunch on the verandah in the meantime. Delicious!!! The service from the bar/waiting staff was attentive and friendly and genuine! I've worked in hospitality in a past life and can honestly say, the team is top-knotch :-) When we did get to our villa, it was spotless and has all you need. And bonus - small docking station for your ipod! I don't need to get into details as many other reviews point out the amazing features, but, as my partner can be a very early riser - having a separate bedroom and lounge area is fantastic, so while he was up in the early hours watching TV I could still sleep! The housekeeping staff came in daily and did an amazing job and kept supplies well refreshed.

We're also keen snorkellers and being able to walk out the door, onto the beach and straight into the ocean and see fantastic sea life was awesome. Be aware the current is strong and Pascalle does talk to you about this as well. But, it's not too scary lol ;-) I don't have a natural affinity with the sea, but I felt safe at all times and if you pay attention to the environment you will be all good. We also got dropped off to the deserted island across the way and snorkelling here was even better. Wow, wow, wow! We didn't take up the picnic option, but just made a quick call to reception and had one of the team take us over on one of the resort boats and arranged a pick up time for return. We took our own gear over, but the resort has an ample supply of masks, snorkels, fins, reef shoes. Not to mention there are the kayaks and paddle boards.

Meals were spectacular each and every time. There are daily specials to add to the variety at lunch and dinner. Try the Vanuatu eye fillet - it is a must! And of course, the seafood... Chef - you have our highest compliments!!

Each day you receive a daily breakdown of your bill as well so you can check as you stay and don't wade through a massive document on check out! (This is a big plus in my eyes as other bills we had from elsewhere - NOT Eratap! - did not have such high detail and to see a 'gratuity' charge when not even being aware of this being added?...hmmm is all I can say...)

Overall, Eratap is well-deserved of all the accolades you see here on Trip Advisor and then some. If you want to escape from the hustle and bustle, book yourselves in!! We started our trip in self-contained accommodation before 'resorting', so if you're happy to be self-sufficient and do your own thing, that's fine - but - for pampering, relaxation, pristine waters, spectacular dining and being remote enough but still able to travel into town within 20 mins or so, Eratap is the ideal choice.

Like I said - "perfection!" Our thanks go out to each and every person at Eratap - you are superstars! We will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rayna C
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I could not have been happier with this resort it was superb and perfect for anyone wanting to completely unwind. It is very private and laid back and the rooms are spacious and clean. The food and the staff are wonderful.
I would recommend to bring earplugs as the wind and ocean for "lights sleepers like me" can keep you up at night.
We would recommend renting a car as you cannot walk to any attractions from here.
We will be back whenever we can find the time as it was the perfect de-stress.

2  Thank Angie N