My boyfriend and I along with another couple we traveled with have just returned from seven nights in Efate, Vanuatu - five of which were spent at Eratap (the other two at The Havannah) and I cannot sing my praises for Eratap enough. The staff at Eratap simply are amazing. The resort itself is great, but it's the staff's incredibly genuine hope that you enjoy your stay that puts Eratap at the top of my list. Some of them have been here since Eratap opened and you can tell that Tony, the owner, really has pride in his people.
Airport pickup was complimentary and we were greeted immediately upon exiting customs, by Robert - the mostly friendly driver you could ask for. Eratap is about 40 minutes driving from the airport and about 20 minutes from town (add 10/20 minutes for the bumpy road leading up to the resort) so it's perfect if you want to be secluded, yet close to activities. Once we arrived, we were greeted with a welcome cocktail and were given a full rundown of the resort offerings and activities by Pascal - who was incredibly helpful to us our entire stay.
Free activities on offer by the resort:
- Use of snorkeling gear (which wasn't in too bad of shape) and reef shoes. Just find your size and use them your whole stay.
- Use of the two small boats driven by one of their staff. They can take you fishing, boat you out to a snorkel spot, or to one of the two islands across from the resort where you can do a picnic BBQ and snorkel (definitely recommend this!). Just let them know as little or as much in advance as you want. If it's not booked by another guest and the weather is fine - they will take you.
- Kayaks, paddle boards, and surf boards for you to borrow.
- DVD's and books for you to borrow as well as a pool, bocce ball court, and pool table on-site.
- Activities scheduled throughout the day like a guided hike or kayak, village visit, kava tasting, fire show, traditional dancers, etc.
There is a spa onsite and daily massage specials are listed each morning. They can also help you organise any off-resort activities. We did a great diving trip with Big Blue organised by the front desk.
The restaurant was good. Breakfast is included in your rate, but we also had most lunches and dinners there too. They have daily specials which were all great and the steak was fantastic. Service can be a bit slow, but you're on island time anyways...pretty impressive wine list and great cocktails mixed up by our favourite bartender, Rose. Cocktails were about $9.50 each (as opposed to $14 at The Havannah).
We stayed in Villa 10 which has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a plunge pool. It was perfect for two couples. Could also be great for a family (Eratap is child-free except during school holidays). Everything was in great condition and well-maintained. Price came out to be about $395 per couple per night. There are definitely cheaper places to stay, but I thought it was pretty good value in comparison to what we paid at the Havannah ($590/night for a better location and room, but not great service).
I barely have anything negative to say about Eratap - we loved it so much. I suppose the only things that could maybe be improved are maybe to replace some of the worn out snorkeling equipment and to speed up service in the restaurant. Also, the waters can get a bit rough and wavy which can make snorkeling and fishing a bit less enjoyable (as compared to the calm of Havannah Bay), but other than that - we loved it! Would definitely recommend to anyone and hope we return sometime in the future!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Eratap Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eratap Beach Hotel Port Vila
- Eratap Beach Port Vila
- Eratap Beach Resort Vanuatu/Port Vila