Overall our stay at the lodge was disappointing. It certainly did not live up to the perception that is created on its website.
We stayed for three nights at a rate of $240Tongan/night (not good value in my opinion)
We organised transfers through the hotel. These were great. We were met on time and our drivers were friendly. The transport was also comfortable.The cost of $30 tongan return per person was reasonable.
Our room was of a good standard . It was clean and spacious with relatively new furniture. We had obstructed views of the sea.
However a number of expectations were not met:
- We were told that we could swim at the beach in front of the hotel. However, the hotel is not located directly on the waterfront. Instead the shipping port is located directly in front of it.
- The website states that a free continental breakfast is served daily. When we asked staff about this they looked at us blankly then suggested they could order us breakfast from a nearby restaurant (of course not for free)
- The website also states that a daily maid service is provided. Not the case at all. The room was not serviced once and we had to go down to the reception to get a roll of toilet paper
- Even though there are full time security guards (who are constantly asleep), money went missing from our room. We found out after this that the front door and a side sliding door did not lock properly. The side door did not lock at all. A small mumbled apology then nothing.
The hotel is in a good location if you are staying on the main island and plan to travel to an isolated island during the day. The wharf is only a 2 min walk down the road. The staff are quite friendly but can not assist with any local restaurants recommendations/things to do etc).
Overall, the main problem with Dupincia is that through the website and corresponding emails, it was made out to be much better than the actual reality. I would recommend staying here if the cost was $150 tongan or under.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dupincia Lodge is a family owned full service hotel, conveniently located on the water front within walking distance of downtown Nuku'alofa. The location also provides peace and quiet for the weary traveler at night, and a beautiful ocean outlook during the day. The lodge has an intimate family atmosphere and hospitality whilst at the same time, provide professional guest services, and not to mention having close access to public transportation and near by restaurants. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Dupincia Lodge Tonga/Tongatapu Island