“Long stay”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nuku'alofa
Adelaide, Australia
“Long stay”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed in the Waterfront Lodge for 3 months in later 2012 and I would be more that happy to go back there. The staff were all friendly and went out of their way to help.
I have stayed in both the seaview and the 'garden' rooms. I much preferred the seaview ones as I enjoyed sitting on my balcony watching the activity of the small boat harbour, yachts refuekking, the fishers selling their catches and the kids swimming.
I often ate on the balcony as well, ordering from the menu. The Waterfront is one of the best restaurants in Nuku'alofa. There are a few other restaurants within walking distance.
I didn't find the front room noisy at night as the traffic dies off early. It starts early, too, but then I am awake anyway.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room.
1 Thank Geoff S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Waterfront Lodge in Nuku'alofa is in an excellent location just a 20 minute walk along the seafront from the town centre. We stayed in a sea view room for 4 nights before switching to a garden room for our last night as the sea view room was booked. Although previous reviews have commented on the noise we found it no problem and much preferred this option with a great window onto Tongan life right in front of you. In contrast the Garden room vista was disappointing. A view of 4 large cement water tanks and hard standing for 2 vehicles hardly constitute a " garden view" although the room itself is up to the same good standard as the sea view room. The breakfasts were ok although lacked variety but nice setting, served on the verandah, whilst the staff were friendly and helpful. The decor and furnishings in both rooms were good and there was plenty of space.
HOWEVER, the " disappearance" from our room of 2 small value items on day 4 did bring a sour note to the whole stay and spoil an otherwise great visit. In 35 years of travelling the world this is the first time we have suffered this issue.The lesson learnt is don't assume mundane articles left in your room are safe.

Room Tip: Pay the extra T$10.00 per night for the sea view room although MIGHT be noisier
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter G
gptonga, Owner at Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
First of all thanks for the favourable comments about our property and management.
Regarding the 'disappearance' of 2 small value items from your room I like to specify that even for us, in 10 years, is the first time we received similar complaint.
In the day 3 of your staying you advise us you cannot find a 'very' expensive hand razor.
We check everywhere but we don't find. Finally the room cleaner said that she saw an 'hand plastic razor' in the rubbish bean and she put in the garbage. We check in the garbage bean and we find it and we give back to you. You said that is not your, but you keep it...
Just before the departure you claim the disappearance of a small necklace by the day before from the room. We check again but we don't find it again, and this time the garbage bean was already clean. All the rooms have a safety box to store items with value, we put in there to use it. Yes, garden view is not facing an Italian garden, only palm trees, the rain water tanks to supply water in the rooms and a small parking, that's the reason why they're cheaper than the seaview rooms, even having the same standard.
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in December and it was fantastic. The roomis excellent, extremely clean and comfortable- simplistic with touches of island charm. Within walking distance to downtown Nuku'alofa. Continental breakfast exceeded our expectations and we left every single morning stuffed and ready for our day.

Staff were exceptionally helpful, particularly when asking to turn down the aircon and more than willing to organise a private island tour with two lovely enthusiastic local sisters (who had an awesome sense of humour). The owner was lovely, said hi everytime we walked past and seemed super passionate about running her lodge, which was really nice to see. Would stay here again next time in Tonga.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 415Yyy
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the Waterfront lodge for one night (on a stopover to Fafa Island) and we would pick this place again on our next visit. The room was clean and nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As outlined in many other reviews, the walls are quite thin and the wooden floorboard noisy, but it didn't bother us much for the short stay. Overall very pleasant place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm very mixed about my stay in this hotel. When I arrived, it was very difficult to open the wicket, you must open it like "from inside", so you feel like a burglar when coming in. When I went to the reception, there was a lady, owner of the hotel, which were yelling the receptionist, local Tongan girl. She doesn't saw me and I was supposed to wait till old lady finish yelling receptionist. Nothing like "Hello", "Welcome" etc, just nothing. I felt like not a welcomed. Later I started check in. Check in by Tongan girl was ok.

Room in this hotel is very nice and clean, with a nice balcony.

When I was in the room I got 2 or 3 times phone regarding LATE CHECK OUT. I was surprised because I didn't asked about that. Check out time is 10 a.m. and I was planning to check out before 10, so I answered I don't need late check out. BUT... I got an answer that BOSS SAID IF YOU WANT TO HAVE LATE CHECK OUT, YOU MUST TO PAY FOR THE NEXT DAY. But I didn't wanted it! No need! I m gonna leave before 10. But the answer was again like YOU MUST TO PAY 1 DAY RATE IF YOU WILL CHECK OUT EVEN ONE MINUTE AFTER 10 A.M. I explained I will check out before 10, and no need to have late check out. Evening I spent in the town, but next day in the morning one lady went to my room (it was at 9 a.m.) and asked AT WHAT TIME YOU WILL CHECK OUT? I said: Before 10 a.m. She said: OK. And left.

Breakfast is very simple continental breakfast. Restaurant was closed for lunch and dinner during my stay (should be re-opened in Jan. 2013 - that's what they said).

Check out was ok.

It is not a pleasure when you see boss/owner which treat people this way. Tongan people are very friendly and works hard. They are not lazy, speaks good English so this owner better should go back to the Europe and retire because as I know Italy, you may exceed a courtesy but it was to much and I will not recommend to stay in this hotel because of the way how employees are treated by the owners. It is just below human standard.

In Waterfront Lodge rooms are nice, Tongan stuff is very good and helpful. But I don't wish anyone to meet owners.

1 Thank Matti G
gptonga, Owner at Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Matti G , again we have to say that in last December 2012 WE DO NOT HAVE any guest with your name or coming from Taipei, Taiwan as in your anonymous email address...but we want to answer to your comment as well.
The wicket at the entrance door of the room is a 'safety lock', very easy to open from outside with the electronic key and from inside pushing just a small button, we do not see any difficult in that as all the other guests do, sorry if you feel unconfortable about your own safe.
Our continental breakfast consist in: coffee or tea, yoghurt, milk, fresh fruit, bread toast, jam, fruit juice, muesli and corn flakes...sorry again if you consider that simple.
Is not our attitude, after 20 years living in Tonga, yelling with anybody, especially with our employee. 80% of them are working with us from the beginning of our job (1993), probably there's some reason for that, maybe we do not treat them so badly...
About the late check-in, first of all we DO NOT CHARGE any payment till 2:00 P.M. (if it's possible and if it's not coming soon other guests), so we're VERY surprise about the phone calls you received repetitively, maybe was a personal enterprise of the 'working hard, friendly and not lazy' receptionist and in this case we apologise for that.
Thanks for your suggestion to go back in Italy, we should think about instead to move to Taiwan...
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have travelled to Tonga 4 times in the last year and believe the Waterfront Lodge to be the best option in Nuku'alofa for accommodation. The rooms are clean and the staff are always very pleasant and helpful. The meals at the restaurant are superb and excellent value for money. I have never been disappointed.

Yes the continental breakfast is average and the walls are thin however the overall package is excellent and you are made to feel very much at home.

I'll stay there again (if a room is available) when I next visit Tonga.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was recently in Tonga working for 10 days with a medical team and this hotel was where we were billeted by Aus Aid. Having also spent 10 days in Tonga last year where we stayed at another establishment on a similar trip, I can highly recommend Waterfront Lodge as a terrific place to stay.
All the staff bend over backwards to assist your every need and are friendly and "up for a chat" at any time. The rooms are spacious and airy and all 8 have a large balcony - 4 overlooking the waterfront and 4 overlooking the rear of the property. After working all day it is a great place to sit and relax and enjoy the local atmosphere.
The bed was comfortable and the bathroom amenities superior to many available on the island. The continental breakfast is top notch when compared to what is available in Nuku'alofa.
It is important to remember the country you are in when comparing accommodation and I think the team at the Waterfront are exceptional.
Yes there are some noise issues - but as mentioned in one of the review replies by the management it is the structure of the colonial building that makes it so. There are other compensatory benefits that this establishment provide that negate these minor issues.
The restaurant serves some very nice meals and their "blackened fish" is delicious - fresh local catch (snapper for us) served without sauce over the fillet, so that the true flavour of the fish shines through. I ate this on 3 separate occasions and it was delicious every time.
The Waterfront is about 1.6kms from "Friends", so it is a gentle 20min stroll along the waterfront to the centre of town and the local fruit and vegetable market, as well as supermarket shops where you can purchase top up drinks and nibbles for your stay.
It will certainly be high on our accommodation choice for any return visits.
Thanks to Daniella and her team.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms overlooking the garden, less breeze on the balcony Sea breeze, local colour and atmos...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Catherine G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuku'alofa
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fua'amotu
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Kanokupolu

Been to Waterfront Lodge? Share your experiences!