I stayed here for a week while working in Tonga and can recommend it. Rooms are spacious and clean, and the balconies are great for relaxing and watching the world (especially in room 1 where you overlook the water and boats). Should you wish to take a day trip to Fafa or other islands, the ferry i also right outside your door.
The restaurant at Waterfront Lodge is also a reliable option in a town where food can be very hit and miss. I ate breaky there each day, and had most dinners there too. Continental breaky was ok (given that you are in Tonga afterall), though the constant white bread was a bit much and the fruit servings were sometimes a bit underwhelmingly, small and not very tasty. I got around this by purchasing a pawpaw from the street stalls outside and asking the restuarant to slice it in half for 2 x breakies. Dinner options are good - I can particularly recommend the port steaks, massive and tasty; and the fresh fish, especially the curry options.
There's a Saturday market with all sorts of things right across the road - worth a stroll through for a slice of Tongan life.
A few minor issues with TV and aircon - if you have issues ask for assistance straight away, they'll sort it out.
Staff are particularly lovely, especially the gentleman who served us at breakfast time. A few conversations though indicated to me, however, that staff are paid very poorly - which rankled a bit given that the manager's brand new BMW was parked right outside. This probably more of a broader systemic issue though than one specific to Waterfront Lodge.
Overall - probably the best place to stay in the area, especially for longer stays.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Cafe and Lodge, the best private Tonga hotel, is located opposite Queen Salote Wharf, with the Nuku’alofa waterfront unfolding right before you. Just a 20 minute stroll to downtown Nuku'alofa and you will soon find yourself immersed in the sights, shops and markets of the Kingdom of Tonga capital city. The colonial-style lodge is packed with character and boasts a beautiful sea view, excellent services, high quality accommodation and arguably the most popular restaurant in the capital. The charming property is under Italian management and believes in paying special attention to each and every guest. The Waterfront Cafe and Lodge’s atmosphere is welcoming and homely, our staff is warm and friendly and every guest is treated with special attention which makes their holiday in Tonga even more memorable and their vacation so comfortable to make them feel at home. The Waterfront Lodge is internationally renowned not only to be the perfect hotel for your stay in Tongatapu but also to be a place of art where artists from Polynesia and the South Pacific often meet to expose their masterpieces. From our reception we can also organize tours of Tongatapu and packages to some of the top island hotels and attractions to ensure your Tonga holiday will be remembered as one of the best of your lifetime. If you are looking for your personal getaway to the friendly islands of the Kingdom of Tonga, welcome to the Waterfront Cafe' and Lodge, the best private owned accommodation you can find on our shore.World Class Tourism gives us 4 stars We have the pleasure to announce that the World Class Tourism for Tonga has recently judged the Waterfront Lodge & Cafe' as a 4 Stars hotel. This is indeed a great news for us and for all our new and returning guests. The unique accommodation, the casual atmosphere, the popularity of our restaurant and the smiles of our staff make the Waterfront Lodge & Cafe' the perfect stop over if you are visiting the capital or if your holiday takes you to one of the marvellous islands of the Kingdom of Tonga. Hope to see you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Waterfront Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Nuku Alofa
- Waterfront Lodge Tonga/Tongatapu Island