“Great locaton, immaculately clean,lovely hosts.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malau Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Malau Lodge
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great locaton, immaculately clean,lovely hosts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at either end of staying at Sandy Beach Resort on Foa. The Lodge was sparkling clean, firm comfortable beds with a shared bathroom. A great location between Vuna and Salote roads to suss out the various buildings and markets. For our return Selita organised an island tour. I was surprised that towels were provided in case we wanted to swim, also Helen had chilled water, coconut drinks and a sandwich for us. The tour included all the main sightseeing highlights which was unexpected as our plane had been delayed. Arriving back at the Lodge in darkness a birthday surprise awaited us. We were greeted with very beautiful, detailed leis made by Helen's mother, then seated outside in candle light, on draped chairs. Everything so thoughtfully done, flowers, mossie lamps, chilled wine, nibbles, 'happy birthday' cake with candles ablaze, Tina, Helen and Selita's niece playing the guitar and all singing. What a great memory to have. So kind and generous.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 997Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

An incredible beginning & end to 10 days in Tonga. Mum & I stayed a night at either end of a fantastic 10 day stay in Tonga. Loved the location close to the waterfront & 10mins walk to town. Warm greeting & immaculately presented room. Shared bathroom so clean & spacious. Helpful with tips, great breakfast & seamless organising of all transfers. Great WIFI connection & comfy homely atmosphere where you could do a bit of business work comfortably too on the verandah. Two highlights that must be mentioned - we asked for an island tour to be organised as we had limited time. Was a great price for around 4 hours of guided time, thoughtful lunch provided whilst not requested, and we did so much in that time finishing with sunset at the blowholes & at the right tidal time. Amazing! Secondly they remembered we were celebrating Mum's birthday. I don't want to raise expectations to a dizzy height but Mum almost cried at their kindness - flowers, cake, singing & much more. We were speechless - Selita, Tina & Helen all make you feel like family. I have travelled extensively & this will remain with me as a favourite.

Room Tip: Both good with two very comfy singles as well as the generous double/ queen. We slept so well.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and the bathroom. Everything was immaculate! I think they changed my bathroom floor mats every day haha a little more than I require, but I appreciate the dedication to cleanliness and hygiene! Further, there were fresh flowers carefully placed around the room daily. I made for a nice little welcome home after my day out in the field.

The breakfast was quite nice, with fresh local fruit and cereal, and poached eggs often available as well.

I can't say more the kindness of the staff. They were so sweet to let me keep some food and coconuts in the fridge. Of course they opened every coconut for me so that I wouldn't cut my hand open. They were quite accommodating.

I heard that another guest had a birthday during the stay and they were all excited to make the night a little special by setting up a bottle of sparkling wine and flowers in the room.

All in all it was quite a nice stay. The only 2 downsides were that the internet wasn't working ($15/day) and there was smoke in my room on a few occasions. It must have been smoke from a group of cigarette smoking neighbors - on the first night it was quite bad actually. But I was able to close the windows for the rest of the stay and successfully kept most of it out. This probably isn't an issue on the second floor. If I come back to Tonga I will stay here again, and maybe I'll stay on the second floor.

Room Tip: First floor room has private bathroom. The 2 rooms upstairs share a bathroom. They have plans to exp...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

This place is a gem. Very well kept, close to the city centre, Wonderful friendly staff ....and Tina makes the best smoothes ever....the place is spotless, safe and overall a lovely place to stay. Also the half day trip around the island is worth taking up too.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Clare F
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at the Malau Lodge and had a thoroughly lovely stay. The location is steps from the pier where you can swim and about a 10 min walk from the town's main drag. Our room was incredibly clean with our own air conditioning unit. We had a private bath, albeit across the hall. Nothing was too much trouble for the housekeeper Tina. On top of cleaning the room and bathroom daily and setting up a tropical breakfast, she offered to wash and hang dry our laundry for us and showed me how to butcher the fish I bought. Salita, who runs the guesthouse went hunting down the right fish with me and even offered to drive my husband and I to and from the dinner show we had tickets for without charge. The guesthouse hosted a kava night while we were staying which all the guests were invited to as well as many locals. Now, the bathroom wasn't quite up to hotel standards but the warm hospitality and free range of the living room and kitchen really made the vacation. We would stay again and certainly recommend it to our friends.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura L
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'd been in Tonga for almost a year and needed to find a place to stay for my last 2 weeks in the country. I did a personal and email booking for this place direct with the owner. The owner, Selita, confirmed by email the price, inclusions and timeframe of stay.
At 5.30pm on Monday 3 March, whilst I was still feeling very ill, she told me she double booked my room and needed me out on Wednesday or she would charge me a higher rate. This was because if I stayed, the other people who booked the room (but weren't even in the country yet!) would have to find somewhere else to stay, but she'd still have to pay the commission to the booking site for their booking and that would cost her and she didn't want to make that loss - instead she wanted to charge me higher to cover the costs of bookings and commission!
She also said she'd give me a free night for the inconvenience of making me move out. Come check out time she reneged on this and charged me, again saying it was because she didnt want to lose out for the one night accommodation charge.
Instead of managing her business properly, she thinks it better to have clients cover her costs for her mistakes.
Also dont expect warm water showers on the top floor - which you'll want come winter - as the hot water doesn't reach there.
Be careful if you do decide to stay here - just because you have a written confirmation (a contractual agreement), means nothing with this owner.
A better option if you want to support local owned and managed businesses is Noas Guesthouse. It is also close to town and the owners are alot better organised!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SandiT0
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Malau Lodge is a great spot to stay in Nuku'alofa, just a short walk along the waterfront to down town. It was beautifully presented and very clean! Best of all, the staff were very friendly and went out of there way to help us when we ran into problems with our domestic flights (thanks a lot Selita!).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family