Toni's Guest House
Little Italy Hotel(Nuku'alofa)
TripAdvisor
Lagoon Lodge(Nuku'alofa)
Agoda.com
All reviewsblue houseisland tourshuttle servicegreat tourfull day toura hootnuku alofatonyslenitownairportaccommodationhosteltongamonetfactsculture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We decided to stay in this place the first two days in Tongatapu, just because the reviews about it were excelent, a fact that I still do not understand.
Don't know how this Toni could run a guesthouse in the "friendly islands", he is unpolite, rude and he won't help you at all!! Even the people working there are kind of unfriendly!
The rooms are noisy, small and untidy; and there was a nice cockroach warming up our bed while we were away! I would like to say something about the breakfast, but when we asked for it nobody was able to serve it! It was absurde!
Also it is far away from the town, where you need to go to have someyhing to eat, catch the ferry, etc. They do lifts 3 times a day, but of course, they are never on time!
So please, if you come to Tongatapu, don' t come to this place, there are other options much better than this one, as Nerima Lodge or Sela's Guesthouse. And we are not the only ones thinking like this, we met more travelers running away from Tonis Guesthouse!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LeylaT
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at Toni's for two weeks in September this year as part of my medical elective in the blue house.

It has to be one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in - spotlessley clean (bed's done everyday except sunday etc) with an amazing living room with a brand new flat screen TV with sky pacific. The best thing was that it was a very social place - everyone eats at the same table and so it's a great place to get to know people. The shower varied between hot and cold - but if you turn it off and then on again a few times the gas boiler kicks in and you have hot water aplenty - a real luxury in Tonga.

I'm shocked with some of the complaints - I met Toni three times during my stay and he was a top bloke - a bit of a joker so If you are easily offended you don't have to talk to him! Also, if you don't like being woken up by cockerels then you should probably consider going to a different country - what did you excpect?!

There are also two other houses, the green house (cheaper, around 15 Pa'anga i think, but not as nice) and the yellow house which is 50 Pa'anga (£20 ish) a night for a double. The blue house is 25. They are all a bargain!

The only trouble with Toni's is that you are a little way away from town, but they run very cheap (1.15 Pa'anga) shuttles in every 90 minutes, and are quite happy to take you anywhere - as long as you let them know. It is also only a short walk from the main road where you can catch the local buses very easily. We had no problems with pick ups and drop offs, as long as you let Peter know in good time!

Overall it was a great experience and I can't recommend it enough - I've travelled a fair amount and have to say this is one of my favourite hostels ever!

Room Tip: The double beds in the blue house are the ones to go for!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

A very nice place. Best value in Tonga! Clean rooms with a nice kitchen and livingroom with giant TV and couches, nice place for relaxation after long travels:() very nice staff, friendly and helpfull by all means. Tonis Island tour is fantastic, amusing and a lot of cool things to see, absolutely recommendable. Great place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Verenaverena
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Not fancy, not luxurious, relaxed and nice - quite like the Tongan way.

Although Tony is a bit rough on their staff, they were friendly and available.
We stayed in the blue house. The rooms were clean and we enjoyed it.

Not too close to Nukualofa's city centre, but the island buses will take you there quickly, and likely you'll score a hitchhike on the way too!

Room Tip: Try and stay away from the Green house. I didn't stay there, but from the looks of it and from what I heard, it isn't very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diogo F
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Toni's for a total of 5 nights split over 2 trips. We found the room very comfortable with a fully equipped kitchen and large sitting room with TV. There isn't a huge amount to do in the evenings in Tongatapu so we appreciated having a place to relax. I would recommend Toni's island tour, he really knows his stuff and is quite a character. There are roosters everywhere on the island that you will hear at all hours of the day, so I would not class this as a complaint as I have seen from others on here, its just part of island life. Mone was also great in taking us to and from the airport and helping us organise accommodation for our next stop in Tonga.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple