“Home away from home”

Olini Lodge
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Home away from home”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The key to this charming home, located on the fringe of the capital and across from a large weekend flea market, is the owner/proprietor, Sioa. The consummate host, he had a HUGE breakfast buffet on offer both mornings I stayed there. Because the city shuts down on Sundays, he even shared a big helping of his family's Sunday roast with me upon my return from whale watching. He upgraded me to a king room after I'd booked Standard, and in short, gave me Rolls Royce treatment at Kia prices. Why can't every guesthouse be like this one? He is a gem and I look forward to a repeat visit in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Phillyjanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were bowled over by the hospitality of Saia, our host at Olini Lodge. We spent 2 nights there and he was always on hand to help us with our (ever-changing) flight issues as well as to drive us about for supplies, even for after-dinner cake at a local cafe. We enjoyed his company immensely. Rooms on Tonga are not cheap, and for 2 of us his accomodation did the job at the lower price range for the island. Meeting Saia and hearing his takes on Tongan life, as well as having a comfy lounge to relax in and use the wifi, made Olini Lodge somewhere we would definitely stay again if we return to the islands for the amazing whale watching trips.

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs in a double room with shared bathroom and slept like babies. And the bathroom i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snowybennett
Nablus
Reviewed August 18, 2013

While I only stayed at oilini lodge for one night, I felt very welcome from the first instance and would happily stay there again. Saia (manager owner) was incredibly helpful and friendly and his family also. Nice and clean rooms and yummy breakfast. All round great experience for my. First night in Tonga.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Ella R
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I usually stay in my friends house whenever i visit Tonga because i'm a bit worried of the safety of the hotels or motels in town. I found Olini through this site and decided to try it. I'm glad i did. I found it a very nice place to stay. Safe and clean. Near town centre. You can enter the premise anytime. And the security is good. Definitely will come back. Thanks

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rani L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Olini on our recent trip to Tonga. We were looking for a transit hotel and chose it for the positive reviews we read.

In a word, our experience in Olini was "Excellent". Olini is more of a home lodge. A very comfortable one. Slightly out of the way from the airport, our host was very knowledgeable about activities in Tongatapu. He had lots to share with first time travelers who had limited knowledge on the place.

Our rooms were clean and comfortable for our stay. We enjoyed our stay so much, we arranged a second visit on our way back. This time, our host even arranged a nice dinner for us. It was a pleasant surprise to see rice (Asian staple) served since it wasn't a Tongan staple food. Our host had once again amazed us with his thoughtfulness.

Having said that, the rooms are on the second floor - short climb up a flight of stairs, travelers with heavy trolley luggage should take note. Also, complimentary internet access for checking emails is available in Olini but limited in data usage (like all places in Tonga). Olini can arrange a separate internet package for travelers who have moderate to heavy usage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DWL100
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 25, 2013

As my first trip into the heart of the Pacific, it was certainly one I will never forget... and a huge part of this is thanks to Saia/Morgan Freeman (the owner)! This was partly a trip with my boyfriend, and a couple of days on my own. Saia was so inviting and welcoming and staying at Olini was like visiting a friend or family. Saia is extremely knowledgeable and well known around the island! He takes you to "secret places" that are just incredible. Staying here, you will want for nothing as Saia delivers a service over and above, making sure you have everything you may need. Olini was very clean, the shower strong, and the breakfasts delicious! Definitely take the time to talk to Saia, as I can guarantee you will never meet another soul like him. Thank you Saia (Tiona, and family), for an experience of a lifetime. "Luigi" and I will always be very grateful for your hospitality and friendship. Malo!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megan W
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Tonga unfortunately has not had a good reputation for lodging, BUT! That is changing.
We knew nothing about Olini's before booking. We walked away having experienced such amazing Tongan hospitality.
Olini's is clean and comfortable to stay. We were both very happy with our room.
Saia (is the owner/operator) was a fantastic host and a great wealth of knowledge, with a good sense of humor.
Since returning to NZ we have and will recommend Olini's to anyone traveling to the Kingdom.

Thanks Saia for giving over and above what we paid for.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BenjaminWork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuku'alofa
Seaview Lodge
White Sands Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Kanokupolu

Been to Olini Lodge? Share your experiences!