“I was treated like family”
Review of Seaview Lodge

Seaview Lodge
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nuku'alofa
Sydney, Australia
“I was treated like family”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The Seaview Lodge is a lovely little hotel facing the ocean. About a 15 min stroll into town. The rooms are lovely, wifi not so good unless you go outside or into the restaurant, but I was there for 2 weeks, and I became like part of the family, thanks Goodrun & Franz. I would definately come back.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is like staying in a friend's home. The rooms are comfortable and have everything you'd need: a comfortable bed, nice powerful shower, TV with international stations, wifi. I had a room upstairs facing the ocean and the views were wonderful. The hosts were very welcoming, helpful and efficient. And the restaurant downstairs has great food served quickly and with good portion sizes.

The decor may not be to everyone's taste (eclectic pastiche of different styles would be my best way of describing it) but at least it's not sterile and definitely has the owners' personal touch. It didn't distract me in any way.

The location is convenient. It's a short 10 minute walk to the centre of this small town.

All in all an enjoyable brief stay. I'd choose this again if I had the choice.

Room Tip: I'd get a room upstairs facing the ocean. The views are nice as is having the balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I can't say enough in praise of the Seaview Lodge. We had an 8 night stay with Franz and Gudrun whilst working in Nuku'alofa. Their hospitality was absolutely fantastic, they made us feel right at home and were always ready to help, chat and share their knowledge of the island.

I had a garden view room, which came with a great balcony, and the view of the small garden was fine, there was plenty of other stuff to see as outside of the garden amongst the trees of the town and suburbs. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean every day; all fly-screens intact (so you can have the sliding door open at night) with a ceiling fan and air-conditioning for cooling.

The restaurant provided a lovely buffet breakfast which was always more than adequate for my 'not insignificant' appetite; fresh fruit and bread every day, and a range of Euro style breakfast options including a fry-up! The coffee is also fantastic, locally grown and processed, truly delicious. Meals in the evening were exquisite, with such a range of fresh fish and lobster options all beutifully prepared and presented, you could easily overlook the steaks - DON'T! The steak is beautifully prepared and probably one of the best I have had anywhere, ever.

Outside the rooms, there were some great areas for team meetings, either covered or in the sunshine, and the wireless internet connection works well enough to be able to work effectively. An easy 5 minute stroll to the centre of town and the cafes and Government buildings meant it was ideally placed for all our work needs.

The fantastic service and friendship of Franz, Gudrun and their brilliant staff at Seaview Lodge was a rare treat to recieve.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had an amazing experience here! the proprietors were very friendly and warm. I felt like I was visiting family in Tonga-- although we did not stay long enough to have dinner- someone booked our dinner at another hotel in town( bad idea) -- I wish we could have stayed for dinner-- the smells form the kitchen were exquisite! Breakfast was fantastic!! and when I come to Tonga again..and I will, we will make sure to book 2 nights and or sty for dinner before we head off to the smaller islands to go swimming with the whales. And if you want to know you are staying in a piece of history look through the guest book!! you will see pictures and logins from the British Royal family, Gudrun was very friendly with the king of Tonga, who has recently pasted. The rooms where fresh and clean!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've stayed here twice over the last year and in that time the Seaview Lodge has had good reviews, and poor reviews - all of which are probably true. The hosts Franz and Gudrun are in turn both charming and puzzling, the decor always overwhelmingly eclectic Germanic/Pacific (especially at Christmas) and the food bizarrely inappropriate (at times). You've just got to realize sometimes that travel brings the opportunity for the different, and this is one place that is different - not just in how Tonga is different, but in how it is so different from the rest of Tonga. And as I mentioned, once wasn't quite enough to believe I hadn't imagined it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house rather than the annex which has better rooms.
Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mulan13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Clean, central location and welcoming hosts. Nicely rennovated garden and wooden ornaments.
At times the place felt a little highly strung in its atmosphere but as a hotel you couldn't fault it on the basics.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at this place 2 nights, both when I arrived in Tonga and when I was leaving. I thought the rooms were quite average--I tried both seaview and 'garden' view (if a wall is a garden...) The decor is sort of kitschy. Both times, I felt like the attitude of the owners was that I was lucky to be there and I should perhaps stop bothering them with my questions (basic questions)...The first morning I was awoken by the very loud chatter of the owner early in the morning, as she seemed oblivious to the fact that there were guests sleeping directly above her. Then the husband started in with some power tool. When I returned the second time, I told the staff I couldn't get the AC to work, and the response was, oh, it's broken. Turned out, as I suspected, it was only the batteries in the remote that needed replacing. I tried asking about using the internet; this seemed to make the wife uncomfortable, as she spoke a sort of interesting patois of mostly German with some english words thrown in, and was always referring things to her husband. Dinner took forever, and questions like, what kind of fish is it? Were met with terror by the waitstaff, and we got the impression that disturbing the maestro in the kitchen was very intimidating for her. The food, when it arrived after more than an hour, was decent. But the most appalling part of the stay was when the wife violently whacked at the cat who was interested in her parrot (safely within a new and giant cage in the garden), during dinner service. With an umbrella. Violently. Whacking away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Greenzebra7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuku'alofa
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel
#7 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Kanokupolu

Been to Seaview Lodge? Share your experiences!