“Good, clean and fairly convenient self-contained hotel.”
Review of Lagoon Lodge

Lagoon Lodge
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Nuku'alofa
Madison
“Good, clean and fairly convenient self-contained hotel.”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I arrived in Nukualofa and stayed at another hotel which did not have cooking facilities. We spent a month here and needed a hotel with cooking facility. The staff really helped us with whatever we needed. We were the only ones staying so we had a great time. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment (# 102) that had a great view of the lagoon but not all rooms will have lagoon view. The breeze was incredible and the sun rise was spectacular. We could also see the sunset behind our apartment. There is no swimming though. They have kayaks but we were not keen as it was too windy and the lagoon is very deep. This place is away from the town center and you'd need a car. We rented a car and had a great time staying here, cooking, enjoying the cool breeze from the lagoon. It would be a perfect place to write a novel. It was usually quiet except for stray dogs outside....I'd definitely come back and stay here if I had to stay for months.....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stargazer111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Nelson
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Quite basic and a bit out of town.
Lagoon Lodge is probably best for families. It faces on to the Lagoon - no swimming
there though. Reasonably quiet (dogs, roosters and sometimes traffic are the potential
problems on Tonga tapu)

A bit expensive for what it offers.

Generally we didn't find any middle upper range accommodation in Tonga Tapu that
anyone could particularly recommend.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NickFerrier
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I had gone with my bestfriend to Tonga for my 30th birthday and had stayed at this hotel. As this being a low economical Island, we so enjoyed our stay at Lagoon Lodge. The staff was very nice & helpful. We made so much noise being party goers & they didnt mind, as long as we were safe & enjoying ourselves. Very handy to a club near by which had awsum music. It was secluded from town, had our own privacy & felt safe with the night security doing his job. I recommend this place to anyone & for those that expect more, should try Dateline Hotel were the air is dusty, rooms full of mosquitos & insects & the food is tastless, yet Im sure the staff is as nice as the staff at Lagoon Lodge. Keep up the good work staff at the lagoon lodge, do hope to come back for a holiday once day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Milizrexyboy2
NZ
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Location was out of town, but we didnt mind. Taxis cost between $4-$10 each way.
When we arrived it was late at night. turns out that our room wasnt what we had asked for (not enough beds) so without hesitation they upgraded us to a superior suite on the top floor! we thought this was great - lots of room for my baby to crawl around and a nice balcony.
The Lodge staff were very helpful and friendly. They booked us different activities and recommended places to go.
The lagoon that the lodge overlooks is not clean and not swimable.
The restaurant that is out the back was lovely! very nice food and people.
Can be noisy during the night - dogs barking and loud music. so if you're a light sleeper i wouldnt recommend

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank livspencer
NZ
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Beware the nice photos and talk of a pretty lagoon (read mossie infested hell hole!) This was the worst experience we have had to endure. A nightclub over the road with VERY LOUD hideous music, awful breakfast, expensive transfers (crazy driver on a death wish to airport because she arrived 20 minutes late!) no pool (no nothing to be fair)
To be avoided!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WarwickNz

Travelers are raving about these Nuku'alofa hotels

England
Reviewed March 13, 2009

As we planned our around the world trip for our honeymoon we had a 'free 4 day stopover' in Tonga due to it's location (It's all done on mileage)..

However, when we tried to organise anything from the UK it proved very difficult, largely due to 'Tonga time'. As a result we waited until we got to NZ and booked through the flight center.. Who's first choice was to send us to Lagoon Lodge. Having checked Tripadvisor I asked if we could go somewhere (anywhere) else... However we ended up staying one night here as everywhere else was full.

Firstly the Hotel is miles out of town and can only be accessed via a taxi, which is surely reason enough not to go even if I'm about to tell you this place is the Ritz.... Which I'm not.

The 'Lagoon' is just a dirty expanse of water in the middle of nowhere.
The rooms/units are to be fair very large (unnecissarily so) and arranged over 2 floors, with basic cooking facilities, they are however very tired and dated. There is no aircon and the fan in the room we were in did not work.

The breakfast consisted of inedible cereal, manky bannanas and toast ( I would say you can't really mess up toast, but I would have said that about Rice Crispies too!)

On the plus side the staff were friendly and the units were not dirty, I suppose the lizards in the room go with the territory!

Incidentally, the hotel is currently the temporary home of the Japanese embassy (I assume it's so far out of town it's halfway to Japan), and I was awoken this morning by a man washing the cars from the embassy coughing up phlem for about 2 hours.. Lovely.

We have since moved to the Waterfront Lodge, which is modern, with aircon and much better located.. All in all given the choice of the 2 there is no comparison.. Learn from my mistakes!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WhatsupWithThatOwl
Auckland
Reviewed September 6, 2008

I told my agent I wanted somewhere cheap, in the sun, where I could sip cocktails and chill out, preferably with a pool (or by the beach) that wasn't Fiji. She came up with the Lagoon Lodge on the outskirts of Nukualofa.

This lodge is complimented by its web presence. The photos make it look lovely, and it is pleasant from the outside. Inside, it's very dirty and run-down, and the Lagoon is totally unswimmable (just over the fence, there's an ever-growing collection of rubbish in a mangrove swamp). It is also miles from anywhere, and while I felt fine walking during the day, it does take at least an hour to get into the centre of town. You need to hire a car or budget for taxis every day.

The on-site restaurant (Lunarosa) is probably the worst and most expensive in Tonga! They're in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and they serve up frozen prawns swimming in a salty, but otherwise non-descript sauce, and charge you T$35 for the privilege. Do not eat there! Take a taxi to town instead (it should cost you no more than T$6).

The staff of both the lodge and the restaurant are actually lovely, which makes it all the worse that everything else lets them down. To give some indication of how dirty the apartments are, I could walk into Nukualofa in open sandals, walk around the town and come back with clean feet. Then I'd spend the evening walking barefoot around the tiled lodge, and have to wash my feet before I went to bed because they were black.

If I needed a one-night cheap stopover, I might consider it again. But I definitely would not recommend it for a holiday.

• Liked — The staff are lovely
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)