“Great!! Relax!! Peacefull!! Friendly!!”

The Friendly Islander Hotel
The Friendly Islander Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Nuku'alofa
Reviewed July 11, 2013

On 6/7/13 I didn't spent my 4 days in Tonga with my family because i like to experience the Friendly Islander Hotel to compare what i read and hurt about Papiloa and her services, now i can't regret are single minute but i count every moment that i been with them and how they make me feel like home, because when you away from home you can't expect everything to be perfect like you stay at your own home but i recommend everybody that want to travel to Tonga for a vacation trust me Papiloa's Hotel is the place to stay..Great!Relax!Peaceful!Friendly!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 11, 2013

After an eventful journey through the Pacific, Papiloa's Place was a relaxing and memorable spot to base myself during my time in Tonga.

My room was large and comfortable with a pleasant view over the garden, the pool was nice and the entire hotel was safe and quiet. But the real appeal of the Friendly Islander is the service – Papiloa and the crew went out of their way to make me feel right at home.

On the Sunday, Papiloa not only took me to church with her, she followed that up with a short tour of Nuku’alofa so I could take some photos and then dropped me off at the ferry so I could visit Pangaimotu Island for the day. When I got back later that night, hungry and without food, she didn’t hesitate to take me into town to get some dinner – how many places offer service like that?

More than anything, through staying at the Friendly Islander I was able to gain valuable insight into the day-to-day lives of the people of Tonga, and acquire a greater appreciation for this beautiful country. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed in the hotel proper, where the front rooms facing the garden and ocean were the best. The f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TheNakedZombie
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Friendly Islander Hotel Papiloa's Place for the first time in June 2012. We consider ourselves very fortunate to have found a great place to stay while in Tonga visiting our family. The fale was very cute, and we loved having our own little place to come to at the end of the day. The amenities in the fale were fine, the water pressure was good, and it was hot as well, the fale had a microwave and fridge and coffee making facilities. We were so impressed with the hotel that on our second trip to Tonga in October 2012 we had no hesitation in staying there again. Papiloa greeted us as if we were long lost family. She arranged a hire car for us at a great rate, and in general could not enough to make our stay comfortable. As we have family there we dont do the touristy things much but she was willing to help with anything we needed. The rooms were clean and made up fresh each day. I love the gardens there, they are just lovely...I would not hesittate to recommend this beautiful place that my partner and i are now proud to call our home away from home in Tonga

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mad4disney
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I visited Tonga for 10 days during May 2012 and was so happy that I stayed at The Friendly Islander!! Papiloa and her crew made my stay enjoyable, and all my needs were met. My bungalow was quaint and perfect for me. The room was immaculate and staff were very attentive. Papiloa was very helpful with directing me around town and recommended some great restaurants. The rates were reasonable and I wouldnʻt have stayed anywhere else. I definitely will be back to Tonga, and The Friendly Islander is the only place I would recommend staying.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Loteni P
Reviewed June 9, 2012

during my 5 day stay in tonga i was fortunate enough to be a guest at papiloas friendly islander hotel .during this time my every need was catered for - cheap acommodation cost,swimming pool onsite ,delightful gardens,clean relaxing ambiance,efficient & courteous staff ,tours avaliable,sea pool across road ,desirable location,airport transfers,meals on call & having papiloa drive me around to see & learn about the heart & soul of everyday tongan life.being a recipient of such a generous & warm spirit from everybody at the friendly islander hotel certianly made my excursion a memorable & happy one.if you want to experience all things good in tonga then i recommend this hotel as a priority.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The F.I.H is probably the best hotel on the main land. We went their for our honeymoon and Papiloa opened her heart and doors to us. We were supposed to stay at another hotel but there was no communication from their end and our hotel arrangements were disarrayed. Papiloa is an amazing host, she basically told us the in/outs of Tonga, where to go, what to do, how long things would take to get there...and she even organised a rental car for us! The accommodation was very nice, clean, air con and affordable - as we weren't spending our whole day inside. The staff were amazing too.
Papiloa thank you very much for having us! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we will be back to Tonga soon.

Moce Mada & Tofa Sofua,

Irene & Rob Peterson

Room Tip: Stand alone rooms (chalets) are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Friendly Islander Hotel is one of the best hotel in Tonga,they are so friendly and Papiloa,the owner is so cheerful courtesy and co-operation,she has a real sympathy for those in need,and quick to lend a helping hand when called upon.We found the accommodation is clean and affordable and comfortable,so I recommend this hotel to angone highly.

Room Tip: front side is the best!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family