“Superior accommodation, great service, friendly helpful staff, great food”
Review of Little Italy Hotel

Little Italy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Nuku'alofa
Gold Coast
“Superior accommodation, great service, friendly helpful staff, great food”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have spent nearly 3 weeks at this hotel. Angelo and Meleseini run a class establishment which is demonstrated by the clientelle frequenting the hotel and restaurant. The rooms have an expansive view over the south pacific and everything is relatively close at 10 minutes walk or a 3 minute car ride away.
The staff are very helpful and friendly and if you play your cards right you might even pursuade Nia to do a Hula for you.
The restaurant on the ground floor is Italian by nature and has a great range of Pizzas to choose from - I recommend the "Top Pizza" as great tasting and big enough for 2 people. If you are looking for a great hotel with a family-like friendly attitude then you can't go past Little Italy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I understand their hotel section is new, which is hard to compare with for most old hotels. With that said, we checked in at a late 9pm, have to say I was looking forward to the 2 guards in Roman uniform, but they were in police uniform instead :)
The room was clean, simple, with a very "space-odessey" feel shower, which some may need to ask for help with using. The cleanest hotel I've seen in Tonga, this hotel had a really relaxing and friendly feel (and they also offer a safe, which is very thoughtful). We arrived with Mr. Angelo working in the bar, we asked him loads of questions about Tonga's to-go places, it took us a few minutes to realise he's the boss! Lovely couple, and extremely helpful for tourists like us who knew nothing much about Tonga. If it hadn't been for them, we wouldn't have known where to go. They would arrange taxi, guides, anything they could help you with, and we are especially pleased with the friendliness of the staff, the standard was well maintained throughout the 3 1/2 days of our stay. To add on top of which we didn't expect to find great Italian food in the middle of Tonga, who'd have thought?
Would recommend anyone who wants to ensure their stay is hassle-free, reliable and with resourceful sight-seeing information, this hotel won't disappoint you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at Little Italy - I was in Nuku'alofa on business for four days. I never fill out these reviews but felt I had to after ordering the Tiramisu. The hosts were very pleasant and friendly, and the rooms were comfortable. I would advise travellers to book well in advance of they want an Ocean view. My only complaint about Little Italy is the dining experience - the Pizza was fantastic, as could be expected. However, I was less than satisfied with the polynesian food on offer, and there are other restaurants down the road (either way) that I tried and enjoyed much, much more. Even on the Italian dining experience, I expected at least an attempt at making a fresh tiramisu. Instead, I received my tiramisu out of a plastic container!! I don't expect it to taste like it would in Venice, but a little effort in the dessert department would be nice! I'm not Italian, but I can well imagine the look on an Italian's face if you served tiramisu out of a box!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Tomas_Ernst
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,157 helpful votes
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed here for four nights based on Trip Advisor recommendations. I often had to send several chaser e-mails to get a response about room reservations resulting from airline schedule changes but once sorted everything ran efficiently.

The hotel arranged an airport shuttle run by Teta Tours to pick me up for Tonga $20. A taxi would have cost $40 for the 30 minute ride.

I stayed in one of the deluxe oceanview rooms, which actually look onto a lagoon. Although the hotel is a 25 minute walk from the center of town, there is a reasonably busy road between the lagoon and hotel. There is therefore a fair amount of traffic noise if you leave your windows open, but it doesn’t bother you with the windows closed and the aircon on.

The rooms are small, but modern and clean. There is free wireless Internet but, as everywhere in Tonga, the service is slow and the reception cuts in and out. You are supposed to have access to 3 TV channels but I only had poor access to a Chinese channel. The aircon unit has a light display like the sound level display on some car CD players, so you might want to bring eyeshades! Bed mattress was soft and springy.

The Italian restaurant is warm and welcoming. It’s open air on two sides and has red tiles, white walls, and red and white checked tablecloths with pictures of Italy. Other than an out of place shop selling perfume and curios, it’s great and a motley crew of diplomats, defense attaches, businesspeople, visiting expat Tongans, tourists and religious folks rub shoulders. Book early as this hotel is justifiably popular.

Breakfast is average: toast, fruit (which you have to ask for as they don’t put it out due to the ants) and cereal. But the lunch and dinner menu is excellent. The Polynesian lobster is to die for. Another good place to eat is Friends Café in the center of town or the upmarket Black Pearl restaurant. They are both a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

If you have a spare day, book an island tour with Toni at Toni’s guesthouse. Toni is a gruff Lancashireman who moved to Tonga 20 years ago and his tours are long on pointing out local plants and short on history, but he does offer the most comprehensive and best value island tour for $40 per person (based on three people minimum).

Everything in Tonga shuts down on Sunday (the sanctity of the Sabbath is enshrined in the constitution) and the hotel is no exception. Unlike other hotels which make you fend for yourself on Sunday, little Italy deliver breakfast to your room on Saturday night (fruit, a packet of cereal, a small tetra pack of milk and a bottle of water) and recommend you book a day trip to one of the resort islands for lunch. You can book this via the hotel, or better yet Toni’s Guesthouse as then they will also take care of your transportation. The hotel also re-opens for dinner but just for hotel guests. (They can only get 4 staff to come in on Sunday and so couldn’t cope with the demand if it was open to the public.)

I went to Wesleyan Church, a 10 minute walk from the hotel on Sunday morning. The King sometimes goes there and it’s a good place to hear one of the church choirs Tonga is famous for. I was also invited to attend one of the many Mormon services in town, as Tongans are very friendly. For lunch, I went to a brunch at Hina Cave--food was good but the music was a pale shadow of the night show they put on.

My last night here, there was a ferocious storm and we had no electricity for three hours during dinner. The staff all banded together and coped wonderfully with poor Angelo cooking by gas with a flashlight and everyone dining by candlelight. They offered everyone complimentary liqueurs for the trouble even though we all had a great evening. A very good address.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank poleinahole1
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2009

I arrived in Tonga on February 3 2009 to spend one night in Nuku’alofa on my way to a nearby island resort.

After reading previous travellers’ enthusiastic reviews I came to believe it was a no-brainer to book a room at Little Italy in Nuku’alofa.

The hotel opened in July 2008 however the owner, Mr. Angelo Crapanzano, has had his restaurant and pizzeria business in Tonga since 1996.

I made my reservation via email but never received confirmation. Upon arrival Mrs. Crapanzano recalled the reservation and quickly checked me in.

I got a standard room which has no balcony and looks on the backyard. Ocean view rooms have balcony and overlook the ocean.

The hotel has a smoke free policy in place therefore smokers are better off booking an ocean view room which allows them to get a puff on the balcony.

The room was rather small but very tidy and clean. The TV has only two local channels (Mr. Crapanzano said he will soon add more choices).

I found the bed to be very comfortable. The bathroom has all you need and more, with the shower exceeding expectations.

However hot water may not be readily available (Mr. Crapanzano advised me to let the water run for a minute before entering the otherwise beautiful shower cabin).

I was in a room on the second floor. Guests should bear in mind that tiles of stairs leading to the rooms can be slippery when raining.

Mr. Crapanzano shared that he was to order some adhesive remedy from New Zealand in the coming weeks to overcome the problem.

Continental breakfast is included in the room rate. Choice is limited however food is fresh and tasty.

The restaurant is the stronghold of Little Italy. Pizzas and focaccias are of excellent quality, fish is very good (ask the chef not to grill tuna steaks too long).

Overall Little Italy exceeded my expectations, appears to be well above upper end standards in Tonga and stands for excellent value for money (approx £68 per night in a standard room).

Mr. and Mrs. Crapanzano are hands on to overcome possible minor glitches and ensure guests enjoy their stay.

• Liked — Family feeling, cleanlyness, restaurant
  • Disliked — Stairs leading to rooms can be slippery when wet
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank UKBob64
Auckland
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Our visit to Tonga was for business which meant we were stressed and uptight.
As we had been to Tonga and stayed at various hotels previously, we looked online for anything that would help us to relax and was a little way out of the main part of town.
Our room with ensuite was a pleasant surprise. The standard was excellent , tiled and airconditioned. The view from our room overlooked the sea and was exactly the tonic we needed.
The staff were courteous , unobtrusive but always on hand if required.
The food at the restaurant was absolutely delicious. While we were there, they were full every night and this was the beginning of the week.
We understand that the Little Italy has only been open a short while, in their new premises. Little finishing touches like decorating poolside and roadside will only enhance everything they have done to date.
We wish them well with their venture - Tonga's bellisimo!

Robert and Cheryl Blake

• Liked — the building standard and outfit far superior to others encountered in Tonga
  • Disliked — entry to the hotel and rooms too open to all
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank blak1e
Bay Area, California
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We just returned from Tonga. We stayed one night at the new hotel "Little Italy." Wished we had stayed there the entire time. Brand new, attentive staff, view of breaching whales from the ocean view balcony, best Italian food ever ! Pool not quite finished yet, but will be soon. Rooms were smallish but nice amenities, including a space-age shower right out of star-trek! (lots of push buttons, nozzles and blue lights--you might want to ask how to operate it so you don't end up getting beamed up to the starship Enterprise!) Owners were gracious; though not officially open for breakfast, they fixed us a great breakfast anyway!

• Liked — The pasta dishes and organic yogurt, view of whales from the balcony.
  • Disliked — Rooms only accessible by stairs.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank FlamencoMermaid
Meleseini, owner at Little Italy Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing recommendation of Little Italy Hotel & Restaurant.

Little Italy Hotel opened in July 2008 evoking all the quaint charm of Tonga, to offer guests an upscale and memorable vacation experience and we're glad you both have it.

We are always happy to help or send a member of our staff to your room to demonstrate proper use of the so-called space-age shower right out of star-trek, so don't bother to ask help while staying with us.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of the Rooms only accessible by stairs but we wish to have a space-age elevator too. I also want to bring to your attention that the lap pool finished and fully function. Angelo has been working extra hours to get it done.

To our future guests,
I don't guarantee you the view of breaching whales but I assure you a multimillion dollar view right from the Ocean view rooms Balcony. The Island of Vava'u offers the best whale watching here in Tonga.

Thank you again FlamencoMermaid for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you both to stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Meleseini Crapanzano.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuku'alofa
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fua'amotu
The Friendly Islander Hotel
The Friendly Islander Hotel
#7 of 13 in Nuku'alofa

Been to Little Italy Hotel? Share your experiences!