“Great swimming pool! Room? Hmmm.... average”
Review of Honiara Hotel

Honiara Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Honiara
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Finding reasonably priced, safe, clean and comfortable accommodation in Honiara is difficult. You don't get a lot of bang for your buck in Honiara unfortunately. I've stayed in the cheap rooms at the Pacific Casino Hotel before, but this time I decided to try the cheap rooms at Honiara Hotel. I already knew the hotel from the perspective of visiting it to use the swimming pool when I was living in Honiara, but this trip was the first where I stayed there. I would rate the cheapest rooms as on a par as same priced ones at Pacific Casino. Not great..... windows you can't see out of, bathroom old, tiles a little mouldy, shower had some problems. 2 single beds in the room that were as hard as a plank of wood. On the plus side, the air-con worked really well, the room was generally very clean, the staff are lovely, the pool is great.

I was working in Chinatown, so it was in the perfect location for me. Just a couple of minutes from where I needed to go each day. Also, despite others saying you need to get a taxi to get to the centre of town, you can actually get a bus or walk. I walked it and I'm not the fittest person. It's really not far.

They have 3 restaurants, but I think they were a little pricey (but again, that's Honiara for you). I ended up sticking with the most reasonably priced of the 3 and ate Chinese most nights. It was really nice food.

I would stay there again, but wish the price better reflected the room standard. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good alternatives there in the price range.

Room Tip: I was jealous of the people who were up the hill with balconies, but then again, I didn't want t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Honiara Hotel has gouged recent visitors to the Pacific Arts Forum, with prices of SI $2,500 per night! This hotel is basically struggling to be 3 star, but is charging 5 star prices. Poorly located just a bit too far from "downtown" you will be relying on taxis or a hire car. Best to choose one of the hotels in the centre of town, even if the accommodation is equally basic. Beds at Honiara Hotel are uncomfortably hard when compared to some other hotels in town.

Room Tip: they do have some newer self contained rooms, which seems to be the same price, so if you are stayin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sajehouse
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days on business....Unfortunately stayed in the old part of the hotel - rooms are very average(similar to hostels in Asia). But this is the Solomon Islands a near 3rd World area. Single beds only, very hard beds, noisy aircon, broken shower & light switches etc.... However room was clean(no cockroaches) and suited me fine. Stayed with some other business types who were non too happy however. Solomon Island people are lovely. Staff here were fine. You need to engage and talk to the local people. Restaurants onsite are one of the best in Honiara. Pool is great(not sure if clean however am still trying to wash the chlorine off my skin...). The area isnt great very grotty - near China Town i think. Taxis are easy enough to pick up or they will call you one. After a while you can catch the local hiace buses and walk up the hill. However great views from pool restaurant. Dont drink the water. I was a female solo traveller and had no hassle with the men. Local women are great. Full of smiles. Check out the blonde Solomon Island kids. Head to the Lime Lounge downtown - fantastic cafe. Taxi drivers can be used a guides. Check out Honiara markets. Most nightlife based around big hotels. Tropical climate however not too hot(like OZ) and nice and cool early am and late pm. Beware of Malaria mozzies at sundown just give yourself a spray unless your staying a lot longer check with doc for tablets. Local shops supply bottled water. Restaurants usually stop serving around 9pm - dinner usually from 6-8ish....ANZ and Westpac atms and banks around. Good pharmacy inside Honiara market. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JaniceL579
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel, but..... Its a bit grotty, service isn't great and things don't quite work. The people are very friendly and the pool is good.Its a bit far from downtown Honiara - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to get a cab to go to where anything else is happening.Honiara is not a luxury destination, so you need to be prepared for that, but for the prices charged, this hotel should be much better. I have eaten at the french restaurant before and love it, but despite accepting our booking for 12 people for dinner, the restaurant was closed for the Christmas break.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top near the pool are much nicer. However it is a big climb up stairs to get there from...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank gabby b
Reviewed November 16, 2011

A well established hotel catering for a wide range of clients ; long term expat guests and travellers. It has the very best breeze and views of any hotel in the city and is lovely and quiet, being off the main highway and on the old loop road at the back of Chinatown.
Rooms in the Ocean View wings are generally well presented, the pool is an absolute gem and the restaurants serve a great range of meals and snacks. We ate twice, with our group at the Chines restaurant enjoying fabulous banquet meals on each occasion. Staff are unobtrusive but helpful when approached, and yes, help with a bag is available, if you ask.
Would stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View room and look before you accept it
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Judenrichard
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Good location when there for work. Views are good from the deluxe rooms with balcony and these rooms are spacious and clean. Beds a bit hard. Lots of outside steps to climb to get to the rooms so not so good if you have knee issues.

On-site French restuarant is fantastic - will stay there again for the restaurant. Breakfast not too bad and bar staff friendly. Pool area pleasant for a drink.

I checked out other hotels to compare and did not find anything else that really impressed me without going to the most expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony up past the pool area
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank meandstar
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Called into this hotel to book a room for a few nights at the last minute, the staff behind the desk informed me that some rooms were available, I insisted that I take a look at their standard room first before making a decision to stay, my first impression when climbing up the steps with my heavy suitcase [ what a dump of a place I thought! ], the staff behind the desk appeared quite pleasant & both staff took a few minutes to work-out which standard rooms were available, I left my suitcase in reception while I took a look at the room with a reception staff member, when she opened the door I'm shocked what a disgusting filthy room that totally looked un-inviting, dirty, full of dust, I couldn't hold my tongue & just commented in total frustration that I wouldn't place my pet here, the receptionist offered to show me their next upgraded room at a higher rate, I replied & said no thank you & left the place being very disappointed & explored other local hotel options.........very bad!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Stephen N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honiara
Heritage Park Hotel Honiara
#2 of 3 in Gizo
Sanalae Apartments
Sanalae Apartments
#4 of 8 in Honiara

Been to Honiara Hotel? Share your experiences!