“Safe and women friendly”
Review of Chester Resthouse

Chester Resthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honiara
Chester Resthouse
Ranked #2 of 9 Honiara B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Safe and women friendly”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Honiara is expensive, and the standard room on offer here is as cheap as it gets. The Resthouse is basic but very clean and tidy, with friendly housekeeping staff who will help you with your washing! The kitchen is very clean, and rules about no alcohol or betel but chewing are clear. The Brothers were friendly and helpful. This Resthouse is in the compound with the Church and this alone makes it safe, but the rules about not having guests anywhere but the outside balcony also make it safe. Good central location. Shame there is no WiFi but the Brothers will let you use the office computer to access internet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Vee J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've stayed in a number of hotels and guest houses in Honiara, and Chester (along with St Agnes) is my favourite. 'Standard rooms' are relatively small but sufficient (the rooms at St Agnes are much larger). The 'self contained rooms' are good value for money by Honiara standards - each has a large sleeping area with wardrobe, double bed and single bed; a generous-sized kitchen with oven, stove, sink, fridge and full-size dining table; and large toilet and bathroom. Everything is spotlessly clean. The proximity to town is great, and the lodge catches the breeze in the evening. I highly recommend, particularly for those who want to be able to self-cater. Chester is very popular and you need to book in advance. It's full of local travellers and the single traveller certainly won't feel isolated or lonely.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank littlemsdisaster
Ilsington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have just returned from SI and stayed at Chester rest house. Run by the Melanesian Brothers it provides basic but clean accomodation. Family rooms with bathroom and Kitchenette or twin rooms with shared facilities. Bedding is clean and house keepers clean room on request. This is a safe place to stay due to presence of brothers. It is not quiet though due to the noisy Chinese owned night club just outside the compound. It is cheaper than the hotels and is better than some back packing places I have stayed. Water can be an issue here also boil any tap water you are going to drink. Keeping food was tricky due to the ants, buy food daily and store in the fridge. Power outages also occur. Sit on the balcony in the evening breeze to avoid the mossies. The brothers store belongings for us when we were out of Honiara. It is a great place to meet other travellers and Solomon Islanders talk and chat to others.

Room Tip: Upstairs on the balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Euphmum
Sydney
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at Chester Resthouse for a week. We enjoyed our stay. The Resthouse sits on the side of a hill above the Mendana Ave in Honiara. After climbing up the steps you arrive at a long verandah with rooms on one side and facing out over Honiara and the harbour. We had a Self Contained family room which had a double bed and a single bed.We stayed in the last room on the verandah which had two windows. The rooms are basic but clean. There was also a small dinning area with a table, fridge, stove and pots and pans etc. There is a small ensuite with shower, toilet and vanity. The rooms have fans. It is very pleasnat sitting out on the verandah early in the mornings and in the evenings. It is advisable to buy drinking water in Honiara. The Resthouse has a small shop where very basic groceries can be purchased. If you want your linen changed you will need to ask. It is a clean, safe and relaxing place to stay in Honiara. The brothers and staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Family rooms give you an ensuite, kitchen and more room. Rooms on the end of the verandah are quiete...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank iangeorgina
Parlin, NJ
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I am a little late providing this review. I stayed at the Chester Resthouse 22June12 to 26June12 after being on a live-aboard dive trip. I found the Chester to be a pleasant surprise, safe (24 hr security provided by the Brothers), the brothers were very helpful, and very clean. I stayed in one of the private rooms. If you are one who is not into "sharing" this is the way to go. A fully stocked kitchen was provided, my own shower (no tub) and ceiling fans. I had the corner unit so without A/C it was very manageable mostly because the Resthouse sit s on a hill. The Resthouse I found was very centrally located for wondering and checking out Honiara. The guest staying at the Resthouse from New Zealand, Australia and the US, some extended stay guest were very pleasant and had nothing but praise for the Resthouse. All though I personally had no issues during my stay, I did witness that the Brothers were quick to resolve any problems brought to their attention by guest. I would definitely "rest at the Chester Resthouse" again when in Honiara, Solomon Islands.

Room Tip: If you perfer your privacy then book one of the private rooms with your own bath room and kitchen...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank BSqurdWillTrvl
Brisbane
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at Chester between a late arrival flight and early departure flight so cannot give this establishment a full review. However, it was adequate for my needs.

My room was a small room with two single beds and a ceiling fan, which cost $220SBD.

Pros:
- The Brothers were friendly, as were other guests
- Bathrooms were clean
- Bed was comfortable
- Surroundings were quiet
- Situated on a hill, so nice breeze on the verandas or rooms facing the ocean
- There is a shared kitchen, but as I didn't use it, I cannot comment on it's cleanliness or function

Cons:
- The resthouse is away from the main road and a little difficult to get to (i.e. I took a taxi and was glad I didn't decide to walk)
- Despite flyscreens on the windows, there were mosquitos in my room and beds did not have mosquito nets (not usually a big deal as I carry a personal one, but for only 5 hours sleep, I didn't think I'd bother and did wake up with bites - but this was my own fault obviously)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank AussieGal555
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honiara
King Solomon Hotel
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
#8 of 9 in Honiara
Solomon Kitano Mendana Hotel

Been to Chester Resthouse? Share your experiences!