“Not for animal lovers but okay food”
Review of Kokonut Cafe - CLOSED

Kokonut Cafe
Reviewed July 8, 2013

There are a couple of very sad looking dolphins kept by the Kokonut Cafe. I think they hold dolphin feeding sessions a couple of times a day.

I enjoyed my meal though and the location is lovely looking over the ocean. A little bit tricky to find as it is off the street.

This cafe would be much better off releasing the dolphins back into the wild and getting a better reputation around Honiara.

9  Thank Kressley G

Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you like to see caged dolphins then this is the place for you. Very sad and disappointing that this is allowed. Shame on the government.
Not popular with those who care about wildlife

11  Thank 629SusanS629
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I could see this café from our hotel room so thought I would visit. The café is a large open air building with both levels looking at a small man-made lagoon-like area. Part of the area is enclosed with netting. At the time I visited it was low tide and eight dolphins languished near the water surface. A pelican – not native to the area - sat on a small jetty – not sure whether it had clipped wings or was retrained in another way but it barely moved. Behind the café were 2 large eagles each in small cages with an upturned aluminium tray – no water – no food. One eagle, while I watched, tried to fly - the cage wall was a few feet away and each time it fell to the cage floor. A crocodile was in an enclosure that looked not wide enough to turn in – a small pond in the enclosure was filled with green slime.
It was so distressing to see the conditions of these animals we left without ordering.
On several days I returned to check out if conditions for the animals had improved – they had not. We did not feel able to support this business by ordering food.

9  Thank Gamuda
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Obviously quite new when we visited, the cafe was doing a roaring trade. We were disappointed to miss out on a table on the top deck (great views) but sitting on the lower level was still great. There were lots of locals eating there which is always encouraging. The food was pretty good (not great) and the atmosphere was excellent. The dolphins seem to be captive and are fed for the clientelle's amusemement which I found a bit disturbing. No doubt others will like it.

1  Thank yannisee
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We visit Kokonut Cafe every few weeks - sometimes two or three times in a week, on business and for pleasure -
Kokonut Cafe is a work in progress, Great Service, Good Food, Good Value for money - BIG screen for sporting events, one of the Best if not the Best assortment of Ice Cold Beers in Honiara and all at good prices - Happy Hour goes all night
An absolute MUST SEE while in Honiara