“Mmmm....”

Hakubai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Honiara
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Japanese Restaurant. You can eat sushi, sashimi, sukiyaki....
Reviewed July 8, 2013

For a third world country, this restaurant serves up some very good Japanese food. The food generally was high quality but I didn't enjoy everything. The service can be slow when this restaurant was crowded on a Saturday night. Book ahead for the weekend. Much better and quicker service during the week.

A good tip is that the it is possible to order from the adjoining restaurant if someone doesn't like Japanese. Conversely it is possible to order Japanese at the other restaurant at the hotel.

1  Thank Kressley G

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have eaten there for a couple of years, always clean and the food authentic. The staff are attentive and the restaurant is clean. Popular with expats

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I cannot give this a good rating. To start with, there was no water in the bathroom and the electricity cut out a couple of times with absolutly no reaction from the staff. I can't comment about the food, as I never got any, my 3 friends did but were not excited by it. I had ordered Sushi, my friends received their meals, I watched them eat for 15 minutes when my Prawn Tempura arrived. I explained I had ordered Sushi to which I was told 1. no I hadn't, 2 it is not on the menu today, 3 it needs to be ordered a day in advance, none of this was mentioned either on the menu nor by the waitress. So they took the Tempura and that was the end!

1  Thank magdita m
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Halubai is a great Japanese restaurant and in the context of the operating environment in Honiara it is fantastic. The real gems are the sashimi and the assorted tempura. The sashimi is very fresh. The dishes are large and generous portions. The beef tepanyaki is also very good.

1  Thank JEAN MARC M
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Really busy the night I stayed. Ordered one of the specialties of the house and found it to be dry and ordinary (eg. commercial fish sticks; dried out mussel). The fish cake for entree was quite good and the beer was cold.