“Comedy of errors”

Hakubai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Honiara
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Japanese Restaurant. You can eat sushi, sashimi, sukiyaki....
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I cannot give this a good rating. To start with, there was no water in the bathroom and the electricity cut out a couple of times with absolutly no reaction from the staff. I can't comment about the food, as I never got any, my 3 friends did but were not excited by it. I had ordered Sushi, my friends received their meals, I watched them eat for 15 minutes when my Prawn Tempura arrived. I explained I had ordered Sushi to which I was told 1. no I hadn't, 2 it is not on the menu today, 3 it needs to be ordered a day in advance, none of this was mentioned either on the menu nor by the waitress. So they took the Tempura and that was the end!

1  Thank magdita m

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Halubai is a great Japanese restaurant and in the context of the operating environment in Honiara it is fantastic. The real gems are the sashimi and the assorted tempura. The sashimi is very fresh. The dishes are large and generous portions. The beef tepanyaki is also very good.

1  Thank JEAN MARC M
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Really busy the night I stayed. Ordered one of the specialties of the house and found it to be dry and ordinary (eg. commercial fish sticks; dried out mussel). The fish cake for entree was quite good and the beer was cold.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

One probably doesn't expect to find a Japanese restaurant tucked away in a hotel in the Solomon Islands, albeit the Japanese spent a lot of time here in WWII, so I was pleased to be guided here by friends. It has the most extensive menu I had seen in any restaurant in this capital city. Service is good and everything seemed well-priced. Several main course choices come with soup and fresh fruit so you can enjoy a whole meal-in-one.

The menu includes a wide range of Japanese liquor choices.

I'd certainly recommend this place.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

As we were staying in the hotel we decided to try this one out for my birthday. We had just spent a great few days on Tavanipupu just after the royal visit and that was so special. The restaurant was convenient - we actually met up with a couple who stayed with us on Tavanipupu and chatted all evening. I had the box which was a selection of interesting delicacies. It was really delicious. The food was top quality, the wines were adorable and the service was fast and attentive. All in all a great evening spent with friends and a good dining out experience.