“Jellyfish Lake - an alien world”
Review of Jellyfish Lake - CLOSED

Jellyfish Lake
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was one of the highlights of the trip. As we swam towards them,we notice one or two jellyfish here and there. I had my waterproof camera and was focused on taking shots of those near me. But before long, i found myself surrounded by literally thousands of these gently pulsating alien creatures. An hour went by in the blink of an eye. A perfect denouement to our Palau adventure.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"ropes"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2013

There are 5 jellyfish lakes in Palau (afaik) but only one can be visited. It's a great experience to swim around surrounded by thousands of jellyfish. The cost of the permit is pretty steep ($100 at the moment of writing) but if you go scuba diving with a tour operator like Sam's Tours they will take you there without extra charge for the trip itself as it will be included with your two dives. Make sure you bring an underwater camera!

1  Thank ridewyoming
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I experienced the JFL back in 1997. I almost didn't do it again on this visit, but decided to at the last minute. I'm glad I did because there's been a major change since my last visit: one of the species of jellyfish formerly in the lake is GONE!

When I was there before, there were the orange (mastigias) jellies and a large proportion (about 20%) of moon jellies. On this trip, there were NO moon jellies at all.

As I was leaving, I asked the ranger about it. He said that they believe a significant warming event in 1998 (right after I was there) killed off all the moon jellyfish and a large percentage of the mastigias. What a sad phenomenon.

So I'm glad I went back, it's one of those bucket list experiences like Stingray City that every diver should experience at least once.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went to JL today. First off, wear decent hiking shoes, sandles will just slip on the mossy steps and tree roots! I wore some hiking sandles and had some issues, so don't believe you can go barefoot or in sandles if you value your legs from bruises and cuts, not to mention fatigue!

We were at the lake around 1pm, and it was quiet, restful, and beautiful. Swimming with the jellies was pretty cool, and relaxing, although you had to be careful with your fins and not hurting/damaging them.

This was a unique experience, but not one I'm likely to repeat anytime soon due to location (I live in Los Angeles!), but I'd love to see some fresh water, bathrooms and a better rope to hang onto while going up and down the steps (it's like 12 stories in case you didn't know).

1  Thank ScumOne