“Friendly staff, gorgeous views”

Cliffside Hotel Palau
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Koror
Philadelphia, PA
“Friendly staff, gorgeous views”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Stayed here with a friend for three nights, while visiting Palau along with Micronesia and Guam. I was a little worried about a few of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, but I don't know what these reviewers were talking about -- Cliffside was a clean hotel with a very friendly and accommodating staff. It is located on a hillside (hence the name) and is not in walking distance of anything interesting -- a cab to downtown Koror cost $6. Guests had beach/pool access to the nearby Palau Pacific Resort, about a 10 minute walk -- you simply needed to pick up a voucher from the front desk (however, we did not have time to go there).

The staff of the dive shop with whom the hotel partners picked us up at the airport and brought us to the hotel. We had a cabana room, which was only one flight above the lobby floor (no elevator here) and had a front patio that offered an amazing view of the bay and Koror. The room was very large, with two queen-size beds. What the room lacked, however, was any kind of hotel/service directory -- but the front desk staff was always helpful with any questions.

We did have one problem, however -- my friend had planned to scuba dive on our first full day here, and I requested this through the hotel (and they included it on my confirmation). At check-in, I asked for instructions for my friend, and they said to come downstairs at 8 a.m. -- there were other guests diving, too. It turns out that the hotel did not give the information to the dive shop they work with, and they did not have a spot for him. But to the hotel's credit, the receptionist tirelessly placed calls to every other dive shop to find him a spot -- eventually, the original dive shop was able to accommodate him with a group from another hotel, and everything worked out fine. Cliffside's manager also picked up the charge for his equipment rental, as an apology to him. Despite the problem, I was very pleased with the way the hotel handled the situation and came up with a workable solution -- a true test of good customer service.

The hotel has an impressive pool and lounge area, which actually sits on the hill above the hotel. The hotel serves food in its restaurant and in this pool lounge area -- I had lunch in the lounge area, and dinner in the restaurant, and both were very good.

My friend and I rented a car, which the hotel arranged for us. A representative from Hertz delivered the car to the hotel, and we had the option of returning it to the hotel, or to the airport (since we were flying out that night).

The nicest hotels in Palau are the Palau Pacific and Palau Royal Resorts, but they are pricey. There are several affordable hotels in downtown Koror, but they lack some of the nicer amenities. Cliffside was a great balance of features and value, and I would recommend it to visitors. And the staff was exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Nice Staff. Decent Hotel. Older rooms. Clean. Decent food. Iffy Internet connection.
Not as nice nor as expensive as Palau Pacific Resort that friends stayed at.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CaryD
Alaska
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I can't find the perfect words for this hotel. I am a solo female who traveled from the united states to join a group of other divers for a week of diving here. The day before the liveaboard departure, I suffered an injury and was told no diving for a week by a doctor @ the hospital. The staff here went way above the call of duty and happily assisted me to gather information and to get things in order. With their help, my recuperation has been less trying. They retrieved things from town for me and helped smooth out the bumps I was suffering. All have been very charming, helpful, and delightful to be around but the shining star is the assistant manager Andrea. Many many thanks.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank sierra1950
Boston
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Stayed at Cliffside in 2006 and enjoyed it so much, I had to come back. Would you believe it's even nicer the second time around? The staff and food are great and the views are majestic. I don't know how they came to pick this site but watching the weather blow through can be an event in itself. Everysone is so nice I can't say enough. I've never written a review here before but having had such a nice time, felt I was obliged to tell others. Even the poolside reste

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Michaelfox_mit1985
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay. Every day was a pleasure, from watching the sunrise on the balcony to having an evening drink at the poolside bar. Guests at Cliffside also have access to the amenities at The PPR, a short walk, or drive down the road.

The best amenity is the staff. Everyone was friendly. I really felt at home and missed them when I left. They made sure I had anything I needed, or wanted and provided shuttle service when I went out.

The balcony view is amazing. You can see most of Koror and even Babeldaob over the bay at the bottom of the lush hill.

I saw the negative reviews, but did not see the negative things they mentioned. I intend to go back someday.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
The Tropics
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I saw some of the negative reviews before I left for Palau and did not know what to expect. Perhaps they took those reviews to heart: my room was clean, no bugs to be seen at all during my stay. Staff was very nice and helpful. Restaurant inside the hotel so-so, the one by the pool has a great view. A/C worked and there was filtered water so I had no worries about using the tap. The shuttle from the airport was very appreciated!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Allemagne
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We spend 12 Nights at a Double Room in the Hotel and we liked them really much. The View over the Lagoon is really nice, the Room what we had are modern with Balcony and two King Size Beds. A good part was the Pooldeck with Jacuzzi, Shower and cool Cocktails.. We had a look also on the other Rooms, Cabana looks good with Jacuzzis in the Room and the smaller Rooms without a Balcony its a Room for a night but not for longer Stays.. Compare to the Hotels what I know in Koror is Cliffside one of the Best what you can get for the Price.. but not for People how needs Animation or private Buttlers..

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)