“Great place to stay in Koror”
Review of Penthouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koror
Penthouse Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed here for a week while in Palau and really liked the place. The price was very affordable at ~$80/nt in April 2010. The rooms were nothing fancy but definitely fine for us. They were clean, spacious, had A/C, cable TV, and private bathroom. The hotel has a restaurant with a bar on the first floor. The restaurant was really good and seemed to be a favorite of locals we spoke with. It was cool having a full bar right there as well. Like some other reviews stated, the staff wasn't particularly friendly but they were helpful and fine to deal with. However, the restaurant and bar staff was very friendly. We did all of our dive and other adventures through Sam's Tours (very highly recommended) who will pick you up from the Penthouse. Another great thing about this hotel is that it is located downtown, so restaurants and shops are a short walk. If we go back to Palau we're definitely staying at the Penthouse again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jburnsSD

Reviewed June 15, 2010

The hotel is spot in the center of Koror. The hotel had coordinated the rental car for me as well as offered at a slightly reduced rate the ability to keep the room until midnight. I had confirmed both before I left.

The hotel had coin laundry and a little bit of weight and cardio equipment (albeit in a room without A/C!). This was very handy to clean some clothes before heading into a 2 week business trip.

When the rental car guy came, he had a rate that was about 50% of what was quoted to me. Granted, it was for a much larger 4X4 car, but I only really needed a small car. He offered to give me a 20% discount which brought it closer to my quoted rate, but was still slightly annoying.

I decided to have dinner at the hotel the last night which was pretty good as well. When I went to check out, the only person there was the security guard. They did call someone to get them out of bed to check me out - but I would have thought since I had specifically notified them of my checkout time and was paying for nearly another full night they would have done something about it.

I didn't have a close look at the charges until after I got to the airport (as I was in a bit of a hurry as in Palau they don't play with the early check-in despite being a rather small airport) - they close the counter 90 minutes before departure! I noticed that they charged me for a whole other night instead of the slightly lower rate that was offered to me. It took a few emails to resolve and apparently they couldn't just issue me a credit to the credit card, so I am awaiting a money order from them for the difference. I was tempted to hold off on my review until I saw the check. I suppose ( and hope) that it was an honest mistake.

It wasn't like either of these were for large amounts of money, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Assuming I receive the money order, I will be satisfied that they made good on the mistake but suggest anyone else be double sure that you are charged properly and that they have someone available if you need to check out late!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DAL504
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This hotel is excellent value. Rooms are enormous with everything you need - cable tv, free wireless internet, fridge and all the mod cons. The hotel has a laundry, kitchenette and gym. Being in the centre of town, the hotel is a short walk to most restaurants. If you go on a tour, the tour companies pick you up from the lobby.

The staff were very helpful in every way - helped me book a cheap car.

The hotel restaurant is excellent. Ate there many times and it was always great food.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Just Great!! The place was more like an inn BUT the little restaurant was great, the beauty salon was great, the bar was great, the tours were awesome, and the people were wonderful...the best experience ever!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2009

One of the best value in town. Very large and clean rooms. Friendly staff. Free wireless internet access in your room or 1 shared computer per floor. We were on vacation diving during the day so we didn't need to pay $200+ a night at one of the top resort where we wouldn't have used the pool / beach anyway.
Highly recommended. We would definitely stay there again.
Sam's Dive Tour is also highly recommended. All dive operators will pick you up from most Koror hotels.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Located one street back off the main street, it is a close walk to shops & restaurants in town. Reception is open 24 hours which is nice, however the reception staff weren't very friendly & didn't smile in the 4 days that I stayed there. The restaurant is OK, I had the same Filipino waitress everyday who was friendly & helpful. They had free wifi, but it was incredibly slow. The room was OK & kept tidy, but the view from the first floor of run down buildings was such that I kept the curtain closed to the balcony door. For a small hotel I expected a little more personal hands on from the owners, but if they were there, thy didn't make it obvious, as most of the staff I came across seemed like they were just there for a pay check, & not to keep the guests happy. I found it quite tolerable as I was on my own, but I wouldn't stay there again for a romantic weekend. The price was reasonable, so I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank dsajsc
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We had one night in Koror, Palau before joining a dive cruise and chose the Penthouse Hotel. It was perfect for our needs and priced reasonably. Most alternatives involved a luxury resort oriented to Japanese vacationers.

The Penthouse was very clean, very quiet, and fully functional. Our room [#308] looked like it had been recently remodeled with new carpet, new bathroom fixtures, and fresh paint. The air conditioner worked great and kept the room pleasantly cool. Our room had a small balcony, but the view was just to the high-rise across the street. The overall impression was somewhere between business class hotel and motorway motel.

There is a restaurant on premises and they served an OK breakfast [not included in room price]. There is wireless Internet throughout the building [and a desktop computer on each floor for guests traveling without a laptop]. We noticed the Internet speeds were much faster late at night and before 8AM in the morning than in the middle of the day. The Penthouse hotel arranged an airport pickup and charged us $10 per person which seemed a bit odd since the same car/driver was necessary regardless if there were 1, 2, 4 or more persons.

If you’re traveling to Palau and need place overnight, don’t choose big resort, who needs all the extras. Simply get a room at the Penthouse.

• Stayed: December 2008