We waited too late to obtain lodging at any of the resorts and were a little worried about what we would find when we got to the WP by the Sea. Fortunately we were pleasantly suprised. While definitely not in the same class as a newer hotel nor a resort, it fit our needs perfectly.
The staff was super friendly and always willing to help us with directions, taxis, and suggestions for food and shopping. We stayed in the Penthouse and there are only two rooms on that floor (the 4th). Our room was HUGE with a really big semi-covered patio. The patio had outside lights, but unfortunately no furniture. The bed is only a full size and there is a futon bed in the living area. We had a fridge, stove top and kitchen sink which made breakfast easy. The bathroom was really big with a jacuzzi tub. The room also had a lot of storage space that is nice for people staying awhile.
There is wireless internet available in the lobby; you must buy an access card (they are sold in increments of $5/2hr or $10/4hr). The internet on Palau is REALLY slow, so don't plan on doing gaming or graphics. We were there to dive, so this did not bother us at all.
The location was perfect for us. It was only a short walk to the middle of downtown and all the shops without being right in the middle of the town. And if you want to snorkel, the end of the road was pretty nice. If you are missing your "coffee shop" fix.. up the road on the main street is a nice coffee shop, only about 3 blocks or so.
Okay.. now drawbacks:
There is not an elevator, so if you do not like stairs.. pick a ground floor or 2nd floor room. There IS a luggage elevator though, so you do not have to haul gear or luggage upstairs.. just yourself.
When we made our reservations, we were not told that the restaurant was closed for renovations. If our room had not been equipped with the fridge and stovetop, this would have caused a major problem for us. They did offer a free shuttle to one of their other locations that had a restaurant, but that would make for a REALLY early morning. If you don't want to cook, make sure that the dive shop you are going through offers breakfast.
The only negative about the room was that the floors could have been cleaner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Features 36 rooms overlooking the ocean lagoon and nearby islands. Rooms range from standard class to deluxe rooms with kitchenettes, and a penthouse suite on the roof deck with a large private veranda, whirlpool bath, kitchenette, and plenty of spacious living area. West Plaza By the Sea also features the Red Rooster Cafe. The cafe offers a wide selection of Japanese Cuisine, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The nightly happy hour features Palau's only locally brewed beer on tap, Red Rooster Draft. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your West Plaza by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Plaza By The Sea Hotel Koror
- West Plaza By The Sea Palau, South Pacific