“Great service but in need of a remodel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa

Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Koror
Los Angeles, California
“Great service but in need of a remodel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just as other people have commented this hotel mainly caters to Asian clientele. They cater to them in terms of the breakfast and television stations. (As I recall they did have BBC certain times of the day) I was okay with this because although both of us are American my wife is of Taiwanese descent; we were used to the food that they served but other Westerners may have a problem with this.

The Positives:
-Fantastic service (All of the staff went out of their way to help us during our stay and even helped us when we missed our plane)
-Free Wifi in the Lobby
-The free breakfast buffet was actually pretty decent.
-Our honeymoon suite was clean and the bathtub was huge.
-The interior of the hotel had great wood sculptures.

Negatives:
-The pool did not look clean and they let the local kids play in it. The slide looked fun but I wasn't going in a pool that looked non-chlorinated that kids were no doubt peeing in. (Sorry to be harsh but kids pee in pools)
-No elevator, so if you are staying in one of the nice suites which are located on the fourth story it is a exhausting walk up every time. (Or good exercise depending on how you look at it)
-The outside of the hotel looks very worn.
-It is on the other side of Koror away from most of the dive shops and restaurants. (This means it is about 15 minutes from everything; not really that far but the taxis always seemed to roll there eyes when we told them where we were staying)

Overall this is a three star quality place which is not bad if you are on a budget.
I hope that helps and happy travels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SonicDeathMonkey72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Webster, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

First, this hotel caters to guests from Taiwan (the manager is from Taiwan). There were no English channels on the TV and no English magazines at the spa. I was the only Western person at the hotel and as such I felt like every member of the staff knew who I was, which room I was in, and knew my whereabouts, which is a little bit creepy. I was traveling solo yet was put in the honeymoon suite, which when not in use is used for spa treatments I hear. There is no deadbolt/chain on the door and there was a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so I could hear easily hear guests walking by and talking. The hallway was exposed to the outside, so any little critters could've come under my door, too. The room and bathroom were huge. The bathroom looks like it has been remodeled in the past few years. There were ants in the bathroom, which I have seen before in tropical climates. The room itself was big, but worn and dated overall. There was a safe, desk, mini-fridge, TV (no English channels), wall A/C unit, wardrobe, loveseat (with grubby sofa cover on it - I dare not look under the cover!). The drapes and bed canopy were old and grimey. The bed was hard/firm. On the wall just above the bed (headboard) was a shoe print and a big brown smudge. Someone must have used their shoe to kill something and didn't bother cleaning up! Overall the room was clean though, just very dated and grubby. The bar at the pool looks like it hasn't been used in years. There is a large pool, waterslides, and a beach/pool but I saw about 3 people use it the whole time I was there. This hotel looks like it could've been a great resort many years ago, but it is now run down and in need or repair and remodeling. The restaurant was OK - Western and Asian fare for breakfast and was halfway full for dinner. The hotel is about 15 mins from the downtown area, but a shuttle bus will take you roundtrip for $5 and they were flexible on the times, which was great. They also offer airport pickup/drop off service which I appreciated. On a positive note, the staff was excellent. They were very friendly and did a great job answering my many questions and helped set-up spa services, a rental car, and a snorkeling tour. The spa service was great, too. A good price and I felt relaxed and enjoyed my treaments. I did "crash" Palau Pacific Resort (the luxory resort) for an afternoon and it was much more of what I was expecting....private beach with chairs, snorkeling/dive services available, nice pool with functional bar, updated restaurant with good food, looked more modern overall. If I were to return to Palau I'd stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank abcd987654321

Travelers are raving about these Koror hotels

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

I booked a reservation here as part of a dive package with a local, reputable dive center. I'm well traveled and pretty low maintenance but was surprised at the lackluster accommodations initially provided by the staff upon arrival. I arrived to find Chinese speaking staff who spoke little English, which normally is not a problem as long as my needs are addressed, but became a problem once I was shown to the room. The room was booked as part of my package at $150/night, although what I got I would have estimated based on what I had seen elsewhere in Palau during my stay as costing more like $40/night given how aged and sparse the condition of the room was. The remote for the A/C unit was in Chinese which made figuring out how to operate it nearly impossible, which the staff who was Chinese literate was also unable to do either. So, I struggled for over 45 minutes to get this thing working in >90 degree heat while sweating up a storm as the room was not pre-cooled. I called my contact at the dive shop who took care of notifying the front desk staff of my dissatisfaction especially since I was paying $150/night! During this time, I noticed an adjacent room to mine with the door open with a much more modern and clean environment, demonstrating to me that I clearly was placed in their bargain room. Around this time I was approached by a Filipino bell-boy who spoke English and attempted to get my A/C working in my cheap room, and was unable to do so. I then inquired of him what he thought the room rate was for this room which he replied was somewhere around $50-$80/night. I then asked about the nicer room next door to which he responded was around $140/night. I clearly was placed in the wrong room!! My contact at the dive center had apparently informed the front desk person of my issue, to which the front desk person through the Filipino bell-boy communicated that she would find me a better room. I was then shown a nicer, recently updated room like the one I had just seen, but with three twin beds. This was in contrast to my original booking of a single queen bed as I was traveling alone. The bellboy in attempting to assist then offered to push two twin beds together to make a queen. I made it clear this was not the same and he then communicated this to the front desk gal who then finally placed me in an appropriate room with a working A/C and an appearance more befitting of a room at $150/night. Upon settling in, I turned on the tv to find it offering Chinese and Korean channels only. Not a big deal, but I would have liked to keep up on current news events as there was an approaching typhoon and I also had friends in other hotels who had had access to a host of English speaking channels including CNN, BBC News, Nat Geo, Al Jazeera, etc. I also went to help myself to some complimentary "instant" coffee in the room only to find the cup stuck to what was a dirty saucer. I did settle into what was a nice, comfortable bed however and got a good night's rest. The following morning I helped myself to the complimentary breakfast which was clearly for their Asian clientele as it consisted mainly of Asian fare such as broth soups, chicken and glass noodle stir fy and stir fried rice. I don't mind eating these things normally, but not for breakfast! As for the quality of the food, it was average at best, which probably explains why I was literally the only guest present one night in the dining room; and given how remote the location was to other alternative dining options, that was shocking!

As for the water park, it looked aged and in need of maintenance. The bar area by the pool was filthy and unattended. Perhaps this was due to this being the low season?

In summary, I was one of only a couple non-Asian guests present in the hotel, so it was clear what traveler they aim to cater to and why things seemed more typical of what I might find of a hotel in mainland Asia, not English speaking and western custom, Palau.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mtnaire1969
Osaka, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

I especially enjoyed their Classical Balinese Spa. My husband took care of kids at the sliding pool while I relaxed myself in the spa cabin surrounded by trees and birds' singing.
Rooms are nice, not really spacious but quite delicate. My boy love those wooden crafts in room a lot!
Fine food. Tasty Japanese Ramen.
I've heard from them that the fitness room will be done by the end of Apr.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank furubin
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights with our 2 year old son and the best thing was the staff who took great care of us and especially our son, often giving him free juice and fruit. There are 2 swimming pools and 1 of them was perfect for our son as it has many shallow areas. And the water slides were fun for us. But it's a bit run down and not a big water park so don't expect a lot. The rooms and facilities were clean but pretty basic and the food was ok. The location is nice because you are surrounded by nature and great views but it's isolated. However, the hotel shuttle van only costs $5 per person round-trip into town and runs often and will even do trips by request when not busy. The staff were excellent at organizing diving, snorkeling, and other activities. This place was formerly called Airai View Hotel. There is free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Anthony I
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Wouldnt stay there again until things have improved. I dont know how they got the high ratings I see here. It was ant infested in my room and looked more like a third world dormitory than a luxury hotel room. Only a few lounge chairs availible at the pool. The swim up bar hasnt been staffed or in use for a few years. Best thing about this place was the friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast buffet was just ok. Nothing special. And the t.v. only had a few fuzzy/distorted asian channels, not much for the english speaking tourists.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank harleyman57
Okinawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel is great for the money. They have a shuttle that will bring you into Koror and will drop you off at the local dive shops. They will also work with you to get a rental car dropped off at the hotel. It's around $40 us dollars a day. You can drive around the island and see the famous waterfall and stone monoliths. This is my 3rd time to Palau have stayed at Airai View / now Airai Water Paradise all times.

Great staff and air conditioning in the room make Palau more enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple