“Incredible service, amenities, views...”
Review of Palau Royal Resort

Palau Royal Resort
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed here on a dive trip (surprise) to Palau. The grounds are beautiful and everyone I came in contact with from the front desk to the waitresses to was helpful, very friendly and professional.

One of the best things about the hotel is the location. Had views of one of the Rock Islands, the bay and a beautiful beach. Two of the best restos on the island (Drop Off and Krammer's) sit on the right and left side of the hotel.

Not sure why some complained below about Asian influence of the morning breakfast buffet (pic below shows 2/3rds of it). The buffet includes everything you would expect for a full breakfast...plus all these Asian dishes that seemed more like lunch or dinner food - but were fun to try. Plus lots of fruits and vegetable available.

My only recommendation is that they open the fitness center before 7 am. Visitors coming from the states are likely on an early schedule - at least the first few days given the 8 hr+ time change and it would nice to get a workout in in the morning. Not possible to do if your dive boat leaves at 8 am and you need to eat breakfast too.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I just returned from an amazing dive vacation in Palau. While there, we stayed at the Palau Royal Resort with is part of the Nikko Hotels group. This hotel was recommend to us as one of a list of hotels in cooperation with the dive operator we used. We chose this one based on its proximity to the dive operation and because of reasonably favourable reviews. We stayed for 6 nights. Ultimately, I was not excited about my experience at this hotel. I will summarise pros and cons in a list:

Pros:
Proximity to major dive operators is good.
They have a nice beach and lagoon set up.
View to the open water is very good
Rooms are spacious and cleanliness is reasonably good.
All staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful.

Cons
Cost! This is a very expensive hotel for what you get.
The cost problem also extends the spa on site. This makes no sense to me as there is a very good spa right next door to the hotel at half the cost or less. They either don't know this, or don't care...likely the latter.
The food in the only restaurant is of surprisingly poor quality and lacking any imagination given the ridiculous prices they charge...alcoholic drinks are also overly expensive.
The hotel is isolated from any services you might want. Not a bid deal for us as we were there for diving, but if you want access to shops, it will require some sort of transportation. You could walk, but it is a hike.

Knowing what I know now, I would not choose this hotel again. I think there are far better options. This hotel is obviously going after a certain clientele for whom money is no object...that does not describe me. I will happily spend my money on excellence; At these prices, I just didn't find that here.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms would be the best option, but are likely very over priced. My room was not sea view a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DresdenDean
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great location for diving( next to best dive shop in town) however the resort is in serious need of an upgrade and rehabilitation, the rooms are generally tired and not particularly well maintained. The menu and food delivery in the main restaurant needs a do over and adaption to western requirements. Very slow and relatively expensive internet.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for room with view against the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EKnive
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Nothing wrong with the resort. It was big and at the far end of town--probably a 15 minute walk, but a quick drive. WiFi is slow and must be paid for, except in bar/restaurant, where it is slow to nonexistent.And when I say slow, I mean you wonder whether you're connected. On the upside, it wasn't that expensive $10 for 2 hours.
Cheapest reservations were through the Nikko website

Water is not potable, and they give you one or two bottles free, but the rest must be paid for.
The staff was nice and helpful, but the shuttle pick up from the airport wasn't there (despite my having a copy of the confirmation) and someone had to call for me. Rooms were clean, even if a bit worn.
There is a cute lagoon/beach and there is a turtle feeding once a day, which is great fr the kids.

So would I stay again? I think I might see what else was out there, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay here either

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank santjordi
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I don't really get the negative reviews. I found the service here to be very professional. Yes, the breakfast is a bit Asian-focused, but you can still get your french toast and bacon. You must pay for Internet, but it wasn't that bad of a deal and worked fine--Internet services all over Palau are pricey and charged by hour. There are scratches and nicks around the room, but considering that Palau is a small, isolated country, I wasn't expecting everything to be perfectly kept up. I really doubt they have a warehouse of lampshades at their disposal in order to immediately replace ones that might be getting dingy. The room was big and comfortable enough. There are not a lot of fellow guests around during the day because most people have gone diving. If you don't like the sound of helicopters buzzing by your room every so often, try to get a room facing the bay. I didn't dive, but other guests I talked to spoke well of their onsite diving company, Blue Marlin. All in all a very good experience with this hotel. They don't nickel and dime you nearly as bad as hotels in Hawaii.

Room Tip: If you don't like choppers buzzing by your room, get a beach front room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank tulipjones
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed here for one night at beginning of trip. Room was clean, comfortable bed. Bathroom looked clean but had faint odor. Grounds are very nice and great view. Staff very friendly and helpful. It's about $100.00 a night cheaper then Palau Pacific Resort with better rooms but the property itself is not quite as nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank suretyagent
Reviewed January 10, 2014

ホテルスタッフの方々はとてもフレンドリーで、質問やリクエストがあればすぐに対応して頂けましたが、蚊が多かったことと、 有料サービスが多かったことが残念です。
●とにかく蚊が多い!部屋の前にすごい数の蚊が飛んでいたのでフロントに言ったところ、すぐ蚊取り線香を置いてくれました。
●部屋はキレイでしたが、壁と天井につぶれた蚊がついていました。
●空港までの送迎は有料です。ホテルでタクシーを呼んでもらうこともでき、タクシーの方が安かったです。
●無料wifiはありません。15分1ドルでPC使えますが、とっても遅いです。メール一通確認するのに30分かかりました。国のインターネット事情が良くないみたいです。もしくはホテルのレストランで食事をすれば無料でwifi使えます。
●レイトチェックアウトに1泊の宿泊代の30%がかかります。今まで利用したことがないのでこれが普通なのか私にはわかりませんが。
●フロントでポストカードを出してほしいと頼むと切手代で1.50ドルかかると言われました。私たちはすでに郵便局で切手を買っていて、切手代は日本まで1.10ドルでした。
総合評価 清潔感はありますし、国外で日本を感じたいのであれば良いと思います。 決して安いホテルではないのに、ポストカードを出してもらうことすらサービス料がかかったり、何かと有料なのが非常に残念でした。

We stayed there for our honeymoon after we stayed a few nights at north beach.
Staff members were friendly and really helpful, but we were not satisfied the stay here (maybe because the experience at north beach was so good that we were disappointed more).
It looked nice in photos and price we paid was not cheap. Room was pretty clean.
We had a problem with mosquitoes!!!! We asked for a help and a hotel staff put a mosquito coil. Tons of dead mosquitoes on the floor outside of our room after that. We realised that they did not clean the walls in our room because we saw a lot of mosquitoes on the walls.
There was no free wifi. Internet was $1/15min. It too 30min to open ONE page.
Late check-out would be charged 30% of 1night charge.
Taxi was cheaper than hotel shuttle bus to the airport.
They were gonna charge us more for a stamp.(we already had a $1.10 stamp from the post office and the stamp they would charge us was $1.50)
Hotel was not bad, but I would say it was not great for what we paid.
And of course they need to do something with mosquitoes!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple